Considering Tosh 42Wh18B

Darkly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Although I was going to buy a 32 inch Tosh, having seen some RPTVs in action down at Comet, I'm changing my mind and thinking of plumping for a bigger TV. I think my living room can cope with a 40 inch display (15 by 12.5 foot)?

What are the opinions on the Tosh 42 from owners? Not seen a review of this - there's no real difference apart from the screen size vs this and the Tosh 40? How is the sound - same 4 speaker setup? The reviews of the Tosh 40 suggest hooking up a pair of external speakers and sub using the inputs on the rear panel to beef the sound up and use the sets speakers as a centre channel.... anyone any advice on what speakers/sub to get in this respect? How do the speakers connect btw - newbie question alert ;-)

I have also looked at the Hitachi Illumina...very tempting too, but at 90Kg - I live on the second floor of a block of flats - it seems a bit impractical (if I ever had to move hell knows how Id shift it)!! The magic focus thingy seems tempting useful as a newbie but I've read the Tosh engineers show you the convergence procedure anyway upon installation, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also the Hitachi doesn't have component....

If Darkly doesn't mind I'd like to add a short extra question to this post, cos I'm about to make the same purchase, probbaly from www.qed-uk.com.

Apparently these guys deliver the set using a courier rather than it coming from the manufacturer. Given that RPTV's need some setting up when they arrive (especially as my livingroom's on the first floor), and the couriers are bound to be useless, will I be able to do it myself ok (I'm a newbie to RPTV but I am reasonably technically literate)? or should i be looking for a retailer who gets a tosh engineer to deliver to show me the ropes?

Cheers chaps!

There is absolutely no benefit in someone setting your RPTV up upon arrival, on 1st install you need to leave it switched on for a few hours for all the components/chassis to go through a decent heat cycle in order to let things settle into place [these units are not as robust as normal CRT tv's and flex a lot].

At the very least this should also be allowed before setting up the 9 poijnt convergence which admittedly might be new to a lot of customers but ultimately very straight forward

In my experience the delivery agents will merely switch on the set and tune it in for you. You might want to reduce the contrast when it arrives for some reason these appear to be set way high upon delivery, mine is set and optimal at around 45, it arrived set to 100!!!

Also, read my earlier post, It may have no replies but I can assure you, my points are all too valid

Mickey Boy, I see you are installing on a 1st floor, if at all possible give the installers as much room to manouver as possible, I am sure all of my problems have stemmed from having to negoitate handrails etc to get it delivered, this meant rotating my 46" unit onto its side for a lot of the tricky bits/

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom