Considering the options.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevegreen, Feb 7, 2004.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I currently only have a 2.1 set up, consisting of a Rel Q200e sub and a pair of TDL Nucleus 2 speakers.

I use these for everything, music, movies and xbox.

Over the past while I have been considering my future upgrade to make the most of films etc etc. Previously I have owned a set of Mission (the Cinema 6 series) and these were sited in my flat and gave a decent enough sound.

Upgrade wise I am planning to keep the Q200 as it's a great sub, for me at least (in a flat) Main, rears and centres are the problem for me though. I quite fancy a full set of M&K but this really would mean that i would have to upgrade my amp too which makes budgeting really tight (my current amp is a Yamaha RX V496) The size of the M&K (K7 series) appeals as well.

What other options have i got in the form of B&W, Kef (maybe) or others? Size on the front pair isn't so important, I may even go for floorstanders but i would need some much smaller speakers for the rears.

Budget? Well, depends when i decide to buy. I f i decide to buy early (ie in three to four months) then about £700 ish but if i can wait a bit longer then maybe up to £1200, though they would have to be something special for me to have to wait that long and spend that much :D

People will say Demo Demo Demo, but i need an idea before i get to that stage!

Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You haven't said whether you are happy with 5.1 or is you would prefer to try the extra surround.

If you fancy 6.1 and knowing that you listen to a lot of music you could do far worse than buy three pairs of bookshelf speakers. The top bookshelf speakers in your price range include Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One, KEF Q1, Monitor Audio Bronze B2 and the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3. In addition there are many other good standmount speakers that whilst good are not up there with the best and if you are going to the Bristol Show you should try and grab a listen to models from Epos, Mission and Tannoy which may nevertheless appeal to you.

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    5.1 is the way i want to go Ian. I had this set up before but lifes little ups and downs robbed me of it :D

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I'm with Ian. Get a full set of decent bookshelf speakers to complete your setup. Your amp is too weedy for M&K IMO and you may not even like their tone, after Mission and TDL speakers.

You can then make a future amp upgrade - a good set of £200 bookshelf speakers will still easily match an amp a few classes above the Yam.

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I agree that my amp is too weedy to run M&K, but i have heard M&K on several occasions and have always been impressed by them. They are certainly a different 'tone' to anything i have heard before.

To be entirely honest, my TDL speakers are great little performers and the fact that they only cost me £60 from Richer Sounds makes them even better, and they don't look bad either :D

[​IMG]

I may well be tempted to get another set for the rears, although they are a bit bigger than i would prefer, and siting something as big as that on my rear walls may not be a good idea (for cosmetic reasons). The money that i save through doing that will be welcome and i am sure that the sound will be of enough quality to keep me happy (though going to Bristol will probably change my mind :rolleyes: ) I can then start considering the options for a nice big pull-down screen and a projector.

[​IMG]

I reckon i can get away with it :D

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Why not just get a pair of cheap Bipolars for the rears short term, Eltax from RS or MS and then consider the options of a new amp and and fronts, I think for a major increase in sound you are going to need a bigger amp steve! so a cheaper4.1/5.1 sstem now and then really consider options for all new system?

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Away with you! Trying to spend all of my money of a full upgrade! ;)

Couple of points, I live in a flat (read: Executive Apartment) so volume levels are always a consideration.

A full set of M&K will probably be overkill for the room size, location and possible volume levels and, of course, involves spending loads on the speakers themselves and a new amp to drive the things.

I think your comment about making a relatively cheap, but well performing system is a good one. The TDL's are suprisingly good for what i paid but if i were to add rears to these then i would like to get something 'tonally' matched, as far as possible.

So maybe my question should now be, what rears and centre should i be considering to 'tide me over'?

I'm off over to the Projection forums for a read :D

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    pop over to RS buy some eltax bipolars try em out and if you dont like em send em back! Either get another TDL for centre duties or run a phantom. PS get a newer beefier amp as your yammaha is good but spend more than £500 on speakers and you are at it limits.
    see this http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/514_printreview.htm
    Perhaps contact TDL for a current catalogue and see what matching centre they have?

TDL Electronics (Audacity Audio Limited)
    PO Box 98
    High Wycombe
    Buckinghamshire
    HP10 9SH
    Tel: +44 (0) 1628 850111
    Fax: +44 (0) 1628 850130