Considering swapping my AV receiver for Yamaha YSP-5600

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by zed4, Nov 17, 2015.

1. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Hi,

I'm considering getting rid of my AV receiver and multiple speakers around the room in favour of the new Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar.

Am I mad to consider this? Can projected sound reflecting off the walls really be as good as speakers physically mounted around the room? How good are the new sound projectors?

I'm currently using an Onkyo TX-SR876 AV receiver and Kef KHT 2005.3 egg speakers. I want to clear the clutter, so I'm thinking of wall mounting the TV and sound bar and removing the surround speakers for a cleaner look.

Good idea?

Thanks,

Dan

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
    Its predecessor the YSP-5100 certainly did an more impressive job of simulating surround from a single unit than anything else we've heard so far. So if you really do want to cut down to one box (and a sub) then the YSP-5600 is quite likely to be the best choice on the market for some time. Is it a good idea to replace your current system with one? I'd say let your ears decide that one. They should be in available to demo in store from December...

3. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I'm considering this myself. Was told November release, but heard nothing for 3 weeks.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
    We went to see them this month too, however it seems stocks are taking a little longer to come in than anticipated so it's looking like December now - at least last we checked with Yamaha.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Another one here thinking about this move. Looking at the Yamaha's, Monitor Audio ASB-2 & Sonus.

To worried about making the wrong decision !

6. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    It is interesting isn't it? The claim that a one box mounted to a wall could sound better than an AV receiver and loads of speakers, whilst looking a lot better too. I'll have to try one to prove if it can really be as good as the hype.

7. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Ps. I would keep my XTZ sub woofer of course!

8. Liad

Liad
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm also looking for a nice solution for the living room - it has an open kitchen in it, so no real wall to bounce back the sound on one side, although it is still supposed to be supported.

Just yesterday I checked the Yamaha 5600 in a store, where they had two walls on the side, but no rear wall (was a large demonstration room) and the ceiling had sound observing mechanism, according to the seller.

The demonstration was REALLY disappointing. After all the hustle about it, I was expecting to hear the surround sounds come from behind, the left and right, but that was not the case.

It could be the adjustment of the room, though, that was not optimal.

After that demonstration I went to the Bose store, and checked the Bose soundTouch 130. That demonstration was what I was expecting from the Yamaha 5600 - the sound came from the left/right and the quality was very impressive.

I haven't made any decision yet, and still checking the ground, although currently I'm obviously tends more towards the Bose SoundTouch 130.
    Hence, I'm looking forward to hear more reviews and opinions whether the Yamaha indeed fulfilling the promises.

Thanks for reading,
    Liad

9. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I had a demo of the Bose soundtouch 130 on Monday at the Cheshire oaks outlet. I was genuinely shocked at how good it sounded with the demo material they had. The width of the soundstage was exceptional. Had me checking other speakers to see if they we're on lol.

But then, I passed a room which supposedly had the next model up with better chips in it, apparently! He played a clip from one of the later James Bond films (Blu Ray) and it was absolute rubbish. Dialogue was muffled, bass from the sub was shocking and the width of the soundstage I had previously just heard on the sound touch 130 had completely gone.

10. stu D

stu D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'm in the same boat as you guys.
    I had 5.1 separates - a yamaha amp, KEF T301 front and centres, KEF T101 rears and a SVS SB1000 sub. The speakers were wall mounted with wires behind the walls, having had the room re plastered a year ago.

We sold our house last month and are now living with the in-laws till April 2016 while our new build house is being built.

Being a new house I'm thinking do I really need the hassle of wall mounting all my speakers again having to damage/repair the new walls to put wires behind, or have ugly trunking on show.

The wife's trying to convince me to look at soundbars, but of course she doesn't understand!!

As I've got 4-5 months to go, I may as well consider other options and I've been looking at this Yamaha YSP 5600 as a possible compromise, although it'a a bit pricey. I like the fact it comes with a kit to convert any powered sub into wireless (so I can keep my SVS sub and hide it in the room). And the new lounge will be a nice simple rectangle with the window/curtains behind me. Our old house had stairs in the lounge so was never perfect.

I expect these soundbars aren't going to be a patch on separates, but I'm willing to pay for a good one if it's going to be a close runner-up.

I'll probably raise half the cost if I sell my existing speakers and amp. But I'll be sad to see them go!

I see a few of you have mentioned the bose 130. Is that a 'true' 5.1 soundbar or just simulated surround sound effects - their website doesn't make it clear. Plus with the Bose there's an additional controller/box to contend with. Although you do get another sub included, so I could always sell my SVS.

I think I need to demo both these sets. And possibly the YSP 2500 which seems reasonably priced at just a third of the cost - although I just can't see how a long thin box like that can compete.

I'll be watching this thread with interest over the next few months and see what people think. Maybe my April 2016 it will have come down in price!

Thanks for listening. Stu.

11. GAS66

GAS66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've just bought and read this month's review in Home Cinema choice magazine.
    By all accounts the reviewer loved it!
    I would read the review and go see if you can get an audition..

12. stu D

stu D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Might have a sneaky peak in WH Smiths tomorrow! Be good to know what the crossover frequency is on this if it's mentioned.

Any idea when stores are getting these? Heard it was December.

£999 would be the sweet spot for me for the bar on its own without the sub, so hopefully by May the price may have settled down closer to this. £1.5k seems a bit steep.

How quickly did the previously released YSP models come down in price after release?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  13. stu D

stu D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Had a read of the review in Home Cinema Choice and does seem impressive.

The download manual also confirms there are only 3 sub crossover settings on this unit (80hz, 100hz default, and 120hz) which is a good thing. I was worried it would be much higher (like the 500hz of the YSP 2500) meaning the sub would be more directional.

With the 5600 I guess that means you can tuck the sub away behind the sofa and not worry about compromising on sound. The soundbar must give out a good spread of frequency ranges.

Really am warming to this and await a local retailer to offer a demo.

My only slight concern is my room layout, which whilst being a perfect oblong, the wall behind me will be a window/curtains. So I might not hear the rear back surround channels properly. However my current set up is only 5.1 so I never had the benefit of rear back speakers of a 7.1 set up - just the usual side left and right which I assume I'll still get via the sound bouncing off the side walls. Plus the roof atmos sounds will be something I've never experienced before so it could still be impressive.

Just need this released now!

14. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    This has been released. Any takers?

Incidentally, Samsung has announced a 7.1.2 Atmos soundbar that features rear wireless speakers.

15. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I'm interested but the price is putting me off. Recently bought the Arcam solo bar it has a few issues so it's goin back.

16. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha ysp 5600 and have had multiple 2 channel and multichannel available receiver setups over years.

imho the ysp 5600 (or any other soundbar) can't give the same experience of 3d sound compared to dedicated speaker setup.

However, the ysp certainly does it better than any other soundbar for movies.

However if you like listening to music (eg stereo), the ysp 5600 is lacking. You get a tinny output.

Of cause the compromise in surround is made up for by lack of cables and mess.

As for projection off walls, I have found through numerous trials,that it works best in simple traditional layout rooms. Eg square, rectangular work well. If the room has lots of odd shaped walls or obstacles,the surround struggles more.

As an aside, be aware that the 5600 is much much larger than previous Yamaha soundbars, so take that into account when considering space savings (hint I mean show you GF)