Considering SSD, keeping Steam

Berties

Banned
Considering a SSD for gaming PC. Currently have 320GB OS drive, 1TB Game hard.

Will remove 320GB and install OS onto the SSD. I know most games work running on a fresh install but what about steam games? Also for games I'm midway through would need to transfer savegames over (steam and non steam)

WildeKarde

What size is you steam folder?

You can copy the steam folder over and get it working without having to reinstall all the games. The save games will be in the sames folder for the new drive - a lot are in documents folder so just copy them to the new documents folder.

Better if its a steamworks games which steam saves for you

Berties

Banned
Steam folder is on the 1TB drive. Only things on the 320GB is OS, applications (but not games) My documents and any savegames it defaults to my documents, and internet history.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
What is data footprint of your steam folder?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
That's the point. If you know how big it is you can work out whether it can be easily moved to the SSD. There are apps that will move Steam games from drive to drive, essentially archiving games and restoring them as needed. Either that or you re-install your OS and steam and just redownload the games as and when you need them rather then keep everything you have ever bought.

No need to thank me ;)

Berties

Banned
Steam will stay on the 1TB HD.

Steam folder is larger than the SSD model I'm considering.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Your steam folder needs to be in one single location. So unless you use something like Steam mover you won't get the benefit of running your games off the SSD or are you saying your not bothered about running them off the SSD?

Berties

Banned
Correct. OS will be on SSD. Don't have the money to put games on a SSD.

For the HTPC not a big deal, just fresh install with media on another drive.

eiren

Distinguished Member
I would rather have games on the SSD, it gets better performance pay off than just running your OS from it. All you need to do is using something like GameSave Manager that has a Steam game mover on it (symbolic links), and then transfer the current game you are playing over to the SSD.

You can always move it back whenever, and it means you only have to have 2 or 3 games installed on your SSD at any time.

Then put your page file onto the SSD, and you're all set.

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
I would rather have games on the SSD, it gets better performance pay off than just running your OS from it. All you need to do is using something like GameSave Manager that has a Steam game mover on it (symbolic links), and then transfer the current game you are playing over to the SSD.
SO is it just a case of selecting the Steam folder (source folder) and pointing it to the new drive (destination) using the Steam Spreader? Don't want to do, or not do, something that will cause me to knacker my Steam games

eiren

Distinguished Member
SO is it just a case of selecting the Steam folder (source folder) and pointing it to the new drive (destination) using the Steam Spreader? Don't want to do, or not do, something that will cause me to knacker my Steam games

It just copies all the files to the new drive and then puts a symbolic link over to it. So nothing to screw up really. You do it by picking the game you want to move, rather than all the Steam games.

Worst case if you screw a game up when moving it back, you can Verify File Integrity on the game via Steam, or redownload it.

Your saves are all elsewhere either way.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I keep all mine on a 1TB Samsung F3 which is pretty fast. If I buy an SSD it will be purely for BF3.

Berties

Banned
Considered Samsungs but last couple have annoying rumbling even with silicon pads still made the casing oscillate. Had to put put them on elastic strips to stop the noise. Using them in a NAS at the moment, again causes the NAS to hum.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I don't hear the one in my rig but I have four others in a RAID array I use for video editing. They are pretty loud at times.

Berties

Banned
Seek noise is fine just a rumbling that changes in intensity and pitch and at certain points it reaches resonance frequency of the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom