Considering Selling the DV139

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zero7, Feb 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I am seriously considering selling my Silver DV139 to fund my new proejct which will be streaming my SD and HD content via a PS3 and QNAP TS-509 NAS drive which will house 5 x 1.5 TB disks.

It seems the logical way to go which will meet my multiple room viewing demands and will all go via 300Mbps wireless.

Whilst my 139 is 2nd hand it's not had much use as it's in a dedicated cinema room, what can I expect for this on the 2nd hand market.....

I hope I'm doing the right thing:rolleyes:

2. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i considered this and have my ps3 acting as a media centre conected to my server pc via cable , the pc runs tversity and have to say its great , all music and films and photos

as for selling the dv139 i was offered really poor money £600 but that was from a dealer even though i wanted trade in against other equipment

watch a sd through ps3 then watch via dv139 , the 139 really is that good imho

3. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Interesting, so if I were to rip mine at full size, i.e. not stipping any of the quality out, and played back using the PS3 as the streamer would it be visibly worse than playing through the DV139?

4. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    If you rip a DVD, even at 'full quality', you still have a MPEG-2 interlaced stream, which still needs decoding, de-interlacing and scaling. All the things the DV139 and it's chippery are very good at...

5. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes my 139 does a far better job than my ps3 and I bought it for its cd playback :)

6. Naimer

Naimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You also may find that that 300Mbps wireless isn't all it's cracked up to be for streaming what you want to stream, especially the HD content and the multi-channel audio to go with it....

7. zero7

zero7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Are you basing this statement on experience.?

8. Naimer

Naimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Absolutely. We stopped installing streaming high bandwidth wireless about 6 months ago after customer complaints of latency and low throughput. We could not find a wireless router of any brand or configuration that was capable of consistent throughput and consistent connectivity even over distances of less than 50FT. We do only wired gigabit ethernet now....