1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Selling my Denon avr-1803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adc2000974, Oct 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Forum

Firstly i'd like to say i am not adverising it on here, simply to get some input and reaction to my choice.

After reviewing constantly over the net i decided to change my sony str-685 or something more advanced "well mind you it was an offer of a friend that made up my mind to sell, i had no problems with the 685 one bit."
    Anyway i went off to town looking for the right amp, then i came across it, being use to a 5.1 set-up and pro logic 2 surround, the 1803 was a mighty performer.

This was back in January-2003 which would make the amp 8 months old now, since that time i have grown a longing for more power that led my too stumble apon my first power amp!
    This "Gemini x4"beast was a whopping 2X300w 4ohms going into my massive "eltax mill 500" 4way speakers it quite simply changed my perception for the apprecaition of music.

Anyway to get to the point without writing a book, i now have another power amp of similar spec an "sst 600 s"

Here comes the crunch have connected my power to the soundcard on my pc not the reciever because it has no pre-outs ahhh!
    the only way i can connect the p-amps is by either a y-splitter or the single source outputs, you can see my problem.
    I can split the connection but that would mean lossing voltage which would led to degraded sound so i am led to believe.

Final Point first how much would somone suggest a good honest selling price, provided i dont find someone gullable, i was thinking £150-250.
    I want to change my reciever the the 2803 which i think is about £500.

Main points for buying it is;-
    1. DSP it uses the same one as its £3000 big brother. (did you know that the 1803 only has a 24-floating point dsp, i am not quite surewhat that means but i think the 2803 has a 32-bit floating point hammerhead shark?)
    2. PRE-outs (also are these noisy ?)
    3. Slightly more power
    4. OSD
    5. 7 chanellas including 7 ext-ins for my soundcard (whoo hoo, this means i can finally use my sound-card to its full abilities, i.e, cmss2 and take advantage of constantly updating dvd software.)
    6. 100mhz video bandwidth, (does this make much difference using s-video?)

I'll leave it at that thanks very much for reading, and thanks in advance to your feedback.

Regards Adam C.

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a 1603 off the forums for £130 a while back so if it's mint and boxed, I don't think £150+ is too much to ask. Try advertising here, you'll probably get a bite as Denon gear is popular.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam - as the owner of an 1803, there's a few things I'll point out to you:

1. The DSP in the 1803 is indeed a 32bit Analogue Devices 'Melody' processor, but it's not the Hammerhead used in the 2803 (note that I don't refer to the processor in the 2803 as the Hammerhead Sharc, as that involved two Hammerhead processors running in dual differential mode, and the 2803 only uses one for each sound output).
    If you really think about it, are you disappointed with the processing panache of the 1803?
    I had a long hard think about it an in all honsety I wasn't, I was only after higher quality power-amp channels.
    2. Pre-outs are something worth having, but generally on one-box A/V receivers they're not of the highest quality (don't know about noisy)
    3. Power - as I said, something you could do with more of, bear in mind however, that the poweramps in the 2803 are the same as found in the 2802 and don't offer a huge improvement over those found in the 1803.
    4. OSD - I wouldn't worry about this, although it'd be nice to have
    6. 100mhz bandwidth video switching - I believe this only applies to the component video switching of the 2803, in which case the 1803 has the exact same feature.

I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade, but to a 2803? It seems rather futile to me, my suggestion would be 'aim higher' :).

4. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input; -

the main reason is pre-outs.
    truthfully, i was a little let down, but over time it became clear that it was alot better then my previous, different oh though.
    this was proberly due to the volume differential, between amps.

everything else is mearly a constellation.

regards adam c.

5. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would like to buy your 1803

6. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will also cover the postage and give you the asking price of 150.00

7. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only locals unless you live in ipswich or very close too, i will not.
    i just really dont have any faith in selling over the net.