Considering selling my 60gig Ps3 for an Elite.

evilgenius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The main reason I never took the plunge was the RROD, but how is it now? Do the Elite consoles suffer from it?

Gamestop has offered me £365 store credit for my ps3, 2pads and 8 games. Im unsure because I do like my PS3, its very quite and no issues when left on for hours upon hours.

Any advice or comments would be welcomed.

i went from 360 to ps3 and haven't looked back. can't think of a single reason i would want a 360.

You mean why am I considering selling?

My son lives 50% between my home and his mothers and he has his own in his mothers. Would mean i could play against/with him and my daughter.

Advice: dont do it! Comment: Why an elite? pros have hdmi now so is it the 120gb hdd??, a pro will only cost you 200 max and has same chipset as elite, Advice again: save and buy a pro, Oh yeah and they rrod less but it still happens, (Microsoft has got much better with support, so dont let that put you off) Not being a sony fan boy as have both so think why not get both yourself???

hmm good advice. The reason I opted for the Elite was the bigger hd to save my photos etc. I should consider your advice. Infact my wife wants to keep the Ps3 because it matches our 42" Toshiba.

How did you feel about the move from 360 to Ps3 games wise?

My son lives 50% between my home and his mothers and he has his own in his mothers. Would mean i could play against/with him and my daughter.
That's a great reason, in fact i couldn't have thought of a better one if i tried, i have an elite myself but i think a pro with the 20gb hd would do you fine as there's little chance of you filling up the extra hd space.

Woolies have an offer on at the moment if you have the cash, pro 20gb 360 with halo3 and forza 2 for £209.99, if not even part exchange with in store credit i'd still go with the pro, would it be possible to exchange your ps3 games only against it (maybe making up the extra) and keep your ps3 console too?

Obviously if you can afford to keep the ps3 as well that's even better, but there's little difference between the stuff on both consoles anyway and most titles will be released on both too, so personally i say go for it regardless.

The Elite is a great machine, i would say that because i have one :smashin:

Not had any problems with mine and its great fun. Not heard of any RROD on the new falcon models.
These are not just Elite though, you can get these on the Arcade or the Premium/Pro. If you do make the purchase make sure you get one with a 175w power brick and this will ensure you have a falcon.

The hard drive can only be used for demo's, game saves, dlc, CD Rips & downloaded movies from live at the moment. You cant save any of your own stuff onto it but there is rumours that in the future you will be able to.

All depends if you want a black or white machine to match your other stuff and the size of the hard drive. Oh and with the Elite you get the HDMI cable included and the Audio dongle for connecting to an Amp via Optical, think these are about £30 - £40 on their own.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Deftones82

hmm i think Ill def consider the pro version. Does it come with 1 pad or 2? probably 1 like the ps3 I would imagine, then I have to subscribe to XBlive and buy some games lol..

All depends if you want a black or white machine to match your other stuff and the size of the hard drive. Oh and with the Elite you get the HDMI cable included and the Audio dongle for connecting to an Amp via Optical, think these are about £30 - £40 on their own.
Yep that's the reason i went for the elite, cos everything else in the corner was black, the extra hd size and also the fact that at the time the pro did not have hdmi.

hmm i think Ill def consider the pro version. Does it come with 1 pad or 2? probably 1 like the ps3 I would imagine, then I have to subscribe to XBlive and buy some games lol..
1 pad and don't forget like Deftones said you may need to purchase a hdmi lead if you will be connecting that way as the pro doesn't come with one in the box, i'd seriously consider exchanging my ps3 games only against a 360 pro if you haven't got the full consoles £200 cash and maybe making up the little bit extra if you can afford it. That way you won't have any regrets at all later.

good idea m8, ill ring them tomorroe about selling the games, see what price they offer..8 of them.

How did you feel about the move from 360 to Ps3 games wise?

What !!! you mean you can actually play games on a PS3 ??
I bought one just because it is a fantastic BLU RAY movie player..LOL..
Seriously tho' I don't own / play many games on either console, but I do watch movies as often as I can and the PS3 IMHO is a fantastic piece of kit. Its a wireless media / games / movies / music player in one, its quiet, reliable and altogether (for me anyways) more complete package than the 360.
Sure, there's better games on the X-BOX (arguably), and XBL is better and more established than PSN but for me, if I had to give one or the other up I'd rather do without the 360 than my PS3.

Graham.

I did the same thing as you are considering last month and haven't missed my 60gb PS3 once. There are Dozens of 360 games that would interest me and buy in the high street tomorrow whereas there isn't one on the PS3 that interests me. You don't have to buy HD movies just rent them from marketplace and Achievements are massive bonus for me, they extend the life of my games many times over and finally I've got 2 kids and they love the 360 but never bothered with the PS3.

You may have guessed I'm pretty pleased with my 360 Elite:D

It really does depend on what you want from the machine. I love my Elite for gaming and thats exactly what it is, a games machine, but thats all it is. The PS3, IMO is something that everyone with a HD setup should own, its a great profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player (the only one available at the mo i think) fantastic media player and a sexy bit of kit to stick in your AV rack.
I wouldn't do without either of them to be honest so i really think the best thing to do would be to get rid of the PS3 games and put them towards the cost of a 360, and IMO the elite is the way to go.

I'd put up another vote for both personally. I don't know what the guys at the start of the topic were going on about because when it comes to games the 360 is still king and has the metacritic figures to backup that statement not just one mans opinion. I use my PS3 mainly as a Bluray and DVD player although I do play Resistance from time to time and plan on getting Resistance 2 and probably GT5 in 2012.

As a side note you might actually be able to sell that 60GB on ebay privately for more money as they're a rare beast and can fetch a tidy sum...

I have always said I'll never get a 360, never appealled to me.

I had a PS3 last year for a few months, didn't take long to realise it was nothing special; High-Definition movies are only sweet on a massive TV (which I don't have) and the games were lacking a bit. Resistance was a good game but nothing I hadn't seen on PC. Sure it was a swish device, but it seemed like a beast which had so much wasted potential. I think I spent most time on it finding cures for cancer and watching a shiny map spin :rotfl:

Now, I don't know how the 360 does it, but I bought one on a bit of a whim a few weeks ago, picked up GTAIV, plus a handful of driving games, (forza, burnout etc) and I haven't put stopped playing yet. There is nothing really to differentiate between the two consoles apart from the obvious lack of games on one - (although 360 will miss Sony exclusives like GT5 etc)

So I thought; Live is amazing. I used the free Gold month subscription thinking it would be of no use, and it wouldn't be anything special; I've now stuck on and extra 12+1 months code, I can't quite remember how I played games without it. It may well be that Live has been in place for much longer, but it just feels 'right'

I wouldn't think twice about recommending the swap. I wouldn't get an Elite *unless* you want have a predominantly black AV setup. For me, the newer Premiums (aka "pro") is the way to go.

The 60Gb is indeed considered to be the 'best' version of the PS3 (IMO it's because it's the way Sony intended the console to be before they slipped and caved in to the pressure from the population of the internet who dictated that it needed to be cheaper - if they're in such high demand on eBay then surely Sony have missed a trick :suicide:)

Anyway, I never thought I'd say this, but you'll not regret the 360 :smashin:

I would echo the earleir comment that the elites were originally no more reliable. Now the elites and the xbox pro (the standard xbox 360 now) have the same chipsets are are equally reliable - make sure you get the 360 with the HDMI port and it will be the newer sort.

Personally i think the 360 is great. I really only play games online with friends (hardly ever offline) and the 360 is superb at this. Good value at the moment too.

I have to say i laugh a little at the typical ultimate 'non-fanboy', "get both, i have!". I dont think most average people would consider spending at least £500 for two very similar games consoles, when many of the good games are cross platform anyways!

The reason I opted for the Elite was the bigger hd to save my photos etc.

Don't think you can copy your own photos, etc to the 360 HDD, its just for game demos, saves and other content downloaded from the marketplace.

I own both a PS3 and a 360 and my 360 gets used much more use than the 360. I mainly use my PS3 for streaming movies from my laptop and playing PS2 games :eek:

Don't think you can copy your own photos, etc to the 360 HDD, its just for game demos, saves and other content downloaded from the marketplace.

Thats correct, although there are rumours going around that the next update will allow you to copy movies, music, and photos to the hard drive.

Personally I would say to go for the exchange.

Now I have both but I have to say that the PS3 just leaves me utterly cold on the games front whilst the situation is very much the opposite with regard to my feelings and use of the 360. It's hard to pin down what it is about that, and so difficult to defend the atypical fanboy dismissal, but the 360 package is just so much more solid as a gaming experience and so more advanced (the PS3 keeps promising to get there but for the money expendiature you really should not be beta testing all this for them and constantly chasing rainbows). About the only game I have actually enjoyed on the PS3 and been impressed with so far is Everybody's Golf which is surprising really since it plays and looks so much more like a Nintendo offerring (or perhaps that is why).

But I keep the PS3 anyway simply because it is a damn good DVD upscaler and also for the occasional BD title. Maybe one day that great game will come along which will change my mind, certainly know people who have converted to the PS3 cause on here now who were quite anti as a result of one title (and now post incessantly about having all three but keep sniping at the 360 heh heh).

If there are other factors such as how you use it for general media then think twice and try and see if there is a way to support both platforms ... but... if the gaming aspect is the primary purpose then seriously just do it. Or, of course, you could just wait another 12 to 18 months and hopefully the much vaunted PS3 experience could actually materialise and equal if not better the 360 integrated experience we have now.

I upgraded from a pro to an elite a few weeks ago and I'm happy I did. Its quieter than my old 360 and if you feel the side of the unit after a heavy gaming session its MUCH cooler.

My brother-in-law has a PS3 and regrets not getting an 360 elite, he feels the 360 has a far more polished interface.

I also have a friend that has sold his PS3 and bought a 2nd 360 after selling his original 360 to buy a PS3, lol. This was simply down to the lack of good games at the time for the PS3.

I upgraded from a pro to an elite a few weeks ago and I'm happy I did. Its quieter than my old 360 and if you feel the side of the unit after a heavy gaming session its MUCH cooler.

My brother-in-law has a PS3 and regrets not getting an 360 elite, he feels the 360 has a far more polished interface.

I also have a friend that has sold his PS3 and bought a 2nd 360 after selling his original 360 to buy a PS3, lol. This was simply down to the lack of good games at the time for the PS3.

I cant believe someone could think that to be honest. The 360 is built with games in mind and games only (not a bad thing) , the interface looks as though its designed for kids, its very bright, extremely colourfull and very cartoon like. The PS3s interface looks very professional and is obviously designed to fit in with a much more grown up AV setup.

The above reasons are why the 2 machines should not be compared, i honestly believe that if your a serious gamer and an AV enthusiast both machines are a must buy.

I cant believe someone could think that to be honest. The 360 is built with games in mind and games only (not a bad thing) , the interface looks as though its designed for kids, its very bright, extremely colourfull and very cartoon like. The PS3s interface looks very professional and is obviously designed to fit in with a much more grown up AV setup.

The above reasons are why the 2 machines should not be compared, i honestly believe that if your a serious gamer and an AV enthusiast both machines are a must buy.

Not to take the thread of topic... but he was talking about the interface in terms of marketplace and how everything seems to integrate well.

I disagree about the 360 being just for games, if you use the extender functionality it goes way past what a PS3 can do concerning AV.

I think however if you want a cheap Blueray player the PS3 is a good buy.

Never owned a PS3 meself but for what it's worth my g/fs brother has just sold his PS3 for a 360 - again the lack of games was cited as the main reason, aswell as the fact that he was greatly impressed with the feel of the pad when I brought my 360 round and the large number of games he wants to play that are 360 exclusives.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom