Considering replacing PJ & LCD, but which Plasma to buy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SwinBob72, Apr 29, 2007.

1. SwinBob72

SwinBob72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi All,

I'm moving into a new flat in a couple of weeks, and the lounge is a little smaller than the one in my current house. At the moment I have a Panny AX100 PJ displaying on a white wall at about 77" diagonal for movie watching, and a Tosh 32WL66 LCD for everyday TV. Having measured up everything at the new flat, I can't see a way I can lay the furniture out to sit far enough away to from a 77" diagonal image, and get a good viewing angle for the Tosh LCD.

So I'm considering selling them both and getting a 50" plasma as a replacement. I've looked at a couple in the flesh (Pioneer PDP-507X & Samsung 50Q97HD) and quite like the look of them both. Has anyone any more recommendations? or have users have either/both of these sets got any comments/suggestions? I think I should be able to raise about £1200 selling both the PJ and LCD, so my budget will be around £1200-1500.

The only real restrictions I have on any set is that it must be 1366x768 min. Resolution (I consider 1024x768 a backward step really), it has to have a VGA input, and I would like as many HDMI ports as possible. It would be nice to find one that can accept a 1080p/24 signal, for HD-DVD/BR playback (to help the jutters) but not essential, and I don't need it to have any speakers with it, or in it, as I have a 6.1 setup already.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Pioneer 507 is not quite in budget, at £1700, it's a chunk over, and that's before you add on speakers or/and stand.
    For the budget, you should look at the Panny PH9 that' on special at the top of page 1 of the Plasma forum index.
    Add speakers and another connection, and stand/bracket - you're probably just over the top end of your budget.
    Sit and wait another 4-6 weeks, and with the new Pioneer 508's coming, you will see if the hype is justified, and what their prices are.
    Should make picking up a cheaper 507 a bit of a cinch.
    With ISF calibration settings being able to be stored (separately on the Pioneer), it's worth spending the extra getting that done, and that should keep you a happy chappy for quite a while.

Plenty of threads herein to content yourself with for the next lot of days, or more.

3. SwinBob72

SwinBob72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for the info.

I've been doing a bit of looking around, and am thinking about the Panny TH-50PX70, it seems in budget and has plenty of inputs etc. I'm just a little concerned about story's of 'purple-snakes', 'phosphor trails' and 'burn-in'. I have also read a number of posts/reviews that state that plasma's are not as good as LCD for gaming, and that some of them aren't very good for getting a decent picture from a PC. As my screen has to be able to handle use as my main tv, gaming screen, movie watching and with my MCE pc, I am starting to um and ah a little.

Using the PX70 as an example is it ok for gaming, and what are they like with PC's via the VGA port?

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Fine. In fact very good according to those who've hooked them up as such.
    So long (and it's only certain games affected) as you keep the Contrast/Brightness at sensible levels, then you shouldn't have much cause for complaint with green flashes.
    As for purple haze - cracking song - the 7 Series has all but eradicated it compared to the 6 Series.
    Burn-in - some say it's a myth under normal usage, others prefer to err on the side of caution for the first 20 hours of usage.
    Either way, the Panny is less susceptible to burning than Pioneer supposedly are - so you've nothing to worry there about.

You could have one of the various members (see signature/avatar for which ones) here do an ISF calibration for you which will have it spot on and you'll not need worry about anything.