Considering Philips HTS3357 -- Good choice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by fillbotus, Sep 6, 2007.

1. fillbotus

fillbotus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

As per the thread title I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing the Philips HTS3357 5.1 Multi-region capable DVD Home Cinema System - With 1080i Upscaling to pair up with a Benq W100 projector.

I have just two questions, that I hope someone could answer for me (especially current owners of the system in question):

1. How does the DVD bundled with this system compare with Philips standalone DVD players, such as the Philips DVP5960 or Philips DVP5980? The specs look almost the same, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if the bundled DVD is actually one of these models -- can someone confirm?

2. I have read very positive reviews of the DVP5960/5980 but there was one comment regarding jerky pictures during snow/water scenes that implied the player couldn't handle it. This really burst my bubble and I'd prefer a DVD player that didn't suffer this.
    Can someone confirm is the HTS3357 is prone to this problem as well (it would be interesting to know if theres any validity to this claim on the DVPs as well)? I saw a follow-up comment that stated the jerky picture only happened when watching movies over the USB port, not when watching the same movie from burned disk. If that is indeed the case, I could live with the player.

I'd really appreciate a reply from current owners, or anyone for that matter (I'm not fussy :))

I hope someone can help as I'm about to open my wallet for this baby, if my concerns can be laid to rest and that's an occasion right up their with total eclipses and Haley's comet! :p

Thanks

Fillbotus

2. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Hi, having just purchased a new lcd tv i needed a cheapish solution to the tv's usual lousy speakers and therefore i plumped for the HTS3357, having previously owned the philips Dvp5960 player.

To answer your questions i consider the dvd drive on this model to be superior to the Dvp5960, it may be the same drive, it may have had a firmware upgrade but for some reason the dvd playback seems better at least for me.

Regarding jerky pictures during snow/water scenes, i must say i didn't notice this but i did read somewhere that this problem did exist on the Dvp5960 when playing divx from the usb stick.

I have to admit i'm no perfectionist and obviously more expensive models should be better but i'm very satisfied with the HTS3357, you didn't ask about the sound output or quality from the speakers which is it's main selling point, this is great, though the tallboys are a little quiet unless you live in a room the size of a football field they are plenty loud enough and the sub and centre speakers more than make up for this.

3. fillbotus

fillbotus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Haggler.

As it turns out, I took the plunge and did my first tests last night in conjunction with a benq w100. Early word is I made good choices. Speakers are fine for my 12 foot bedroom -- plenty loud and DVD playback seems good so far (tray a little flimsy compared to what I'm used to , but just need to be careful thats all.)

I have w100 connected via the HDMI connector but can't seem to change upscaling level. It's stuck on 'Auto' and thought I'd be able to enable progressive scan. However, perhaps there are good reasons for both of these options being non-adjustable. I wonder if its the cable I bought which is HDMI to DVI-D. its says DVD-I on the back of the benq???

Picture quality is damn fine on the benq considering its low res and it's dead quiet in eco mode. Have noticed the rainbow effect a bit, especially on Schindlers list, which might be due to black and white picture, but its fine if I don't flick my eyes around too much :)

If anyone has any hints on how I can get the dvd player uspacaling to max 1080i for the benq I'd be grateful.

Thanks again for the reply

Fillbotus

4. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I aint exactly sure but i would suspect the cable, how you connect the dvd to everything else seems to make all the difference as to what is adjustable or greyed out.

On mine "tv type" "progressive" and obviously "component" are greyed out in the video options as i'm connecting to tv with an hdmi to hdmi cable, with this connection i can enter video setup page/ hdmi setup/ hdmi video and change to 720p, 1080i etc as to whether they make much difference is a different story.