Considering PANASONIC TX-55HZ980E any users out there?

mikseymono

Hi all...after a disastrous effort with Amazon.de in trying to get my Sony 49XH9505.....I have had to cancel the order........v long story short....they don't have any....so...having told my Wife it transpires that she will entertain a bigger...up to 55" TV......so result!
Having looked at these reviews on here it seems the Panasonic 55HZ980 comes highly recommended. Also, I can actually pick one up locally in a real shop for €999.
I watch mainly 1080p/ Netflix. We have the news on each morning for a couple of hours then put our TV box on radio and normally turn off the TV and then have audio from the TV box to Amp/speakers. Tv is then turned on for about 6 hrs from around 5pm....turns out we watch quite a bit!

I sit about 3 m from the TV in a semi light room though there are no windows infront from direct sunlight. Audio is fed to an amp so TV speakers not critical.

I was looking for the Sony LCD 49XH9505 for around €850 but surely an OLED at this price, €999, seems better?! My current TV is a LG 49UJ651V-ZA...which is dreadful now and has developed failing back lights...

All experiences, thoughts welcome.

Thank you,

M

Last edited:

dantethedutch

Novice Member
Motion on that panasonic isn’t the best. It runs at 50hz. Panning shots are horendous on this tv. Even with intelligent frame creation. The reflection handling is beter then lg. The panasonic hzw1000 is much better. Are those available? Or is the price much higher? If you’re not very sensitive to motion the the hz980 is a great tv. Great colors out of the box.

dantethedutch

Novice Member
If you use film maker mode dor hdr and sdr and dolby vision dark for dolby vision you are gertting good results. Sharpness at 0. You can try dolby vision iq. But it ads some smoothing. I always go for a professional calibration. And the panasonic is very accurate out of the box. Some dolby vision content can look very dark but not all. You can also try different settings youself. You problably will think the picture is too yellow if you are used to dynamic mode.

mikseymono

Motion on that panasonic isn’t the best. It runs at 50hz. Panning shots are horendous on this tv. Even with intelligent frame creation. The reflection handling is beter then lg. The panasonic hzw1000 is much better. Are those available? Or is the price much higher? If you’re not very sensitive to motion the the hz980 is a great tv. Great colors out of the box.

Now then, in reading more around it preparing my new baby my Sales invoice and description definitely refer to this TV as 100Hz. French site but you should get the idea https://www.darty.com/nav/achat/hif...oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_caracteristics

It definately claims its a 100Hz
Caractéristiques complémentaires
  • Interrupteur secteur, Mode Mirroring, Dalle native 100 Hz, Poids sans pied (kg) : 20.5 kg, Interface CI+ : Oui, Type de fichiers lus : audio, photo et vidéo., Restitution sonore : 30W

Having read these excellent forums etc I have found the this panel is a 50Hz.........?! Is this true? Even a Uk site, Richer Sounds, claims its 100Hz Panasonic TX55HZ980B

Can someone enlighten me please?
Thanks,
M

dantethedutch

Novice Member
I would always buy an oled. Had many lcd tv’s in the past and then switched to plasma and then to oled. If there is some clouding or dse i will see it all the time. I haven’t had any other tv’s from that website so i can’t give you advice about those. If you can stretch your budget a little bit then wait for the 55lg c1 black friday sale. Last time they were 1199 here.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom