Considering my 1st DSLR

andru

Established Member
Reaction score
For the past few weeks now i have been looking around for a DSLR in the region of £400.I don't want to photograph anything in particular just general picture taking.
I have looked at
Sony A200
Sony A350
Olympus 420
Olympus 520
Canon EOS1000.

I really cant make up my mind and don't want to spend this type of money and find i have bought not the best that i could have.
I know about live view but do i really need it for the price difference it makes.
At the moment i am swinging towards the Sony A350 probably because of the thought of live view and the 14 megapixels.

Thanks

For the past few weeks now i have been looking around for a DSLR in the region of £400.I don't want to photograph anything in particular just general picture taking.
I have looked at
Sony A200
Sony A350
Olympus 420
Olympus 520
Canon EOS1000.

I really cant make up my mind and don't want to spend this type of money and find i have bought not the best that i could have.
I know about live view but do i really need it for the price difference it makes.
At the moment i am swinging towards the Sony A350 probably because of the thought of live view and the 14 megapixels.

Thanks

I've just been through a similar decision I opted for the Sony A300, which is basically the A350 but with the 10.2 megapixel sensor rather than the 14 megapixel.
It has liveview which I thought would help me with it being my first DSLR.
I'd reccomend a Sony as they have in built image stabilisation to minimise shake, the Olympus e420 doesn't have this but the e-520 does.

I can't comment on the Canon but I would reccomend a Sony.

Thanks for that i didn't realize that they did a A300.Is it priced in between the 200 and 350? and where did you get it from so i can see it.Also is there many reviews on it as at the moment i cant find many,is that because it is new?

cheers

I would recommend that website: LINK for you to look before you make your decision. You can find there really good, professional reviews of most cameras.

I've been in similar situation recentely and choose Canon EOS 450D and I do not regret it. It is a very good camera (for my needs). I payed 460£ for mine (which is a little bit more than 400£) and waiting for 50£ back from Canon (cashback promotion is now over unfortunetely).

Good luck with your decision. All the best :smashin:

You really need to go and have a play with the camera's you are looking atas the first question you need to answer is what feels right for you.

I went with Sony but that was my choice.... I did like the live view in the Sony and the fact that the image stabilisation is in the body and not the lens this means that any Sony lens you use has image stabilisation out of the box.

Good luck.

There are more than a few .. Which DSLR? threads on here
and although DPreview will give you technical facts, our views on here will hopefully give you both subjective, and objective real world user views to complement the technical facts

There is nothing wrong with Sony but neither is that the case for Canon and Nikon ect
Live view is not a "must have " although the built in antishake with Sony is undeniably attractive. Canons Kit lens has IS though and Nikon has an affordable VR ( antishake by another name) lens
Do a search on here ad see if you modify your shortlist
There are 2 salient facts though
1)There is no " rubbish " DSLR out there now. a lot is down to you the user
2) No amount of description can replace the need to feel the camera before you buy as they do not feel the same in ones hands and getting on with it is very impt indeed
Good luck:smashin:

Last edited:
Thanks for that i didn't realize that they did a A300.Is it priced in between the 200 and 350? and where did you get it from so i can see it.Also is there many reviews on it as at the moment i cant find many,is that because it is new?

cheers

Jessop's are one of the main stockist's of the a300. From the reviews I have read, the a200/a300's handle noise better than the a350.
The a300 is basically the same as the a200, but with live view and a tilting screen.

You really need to go and have a play with the camera's you are looking atas the first question you need to answer is what feels right for you.

I went with Sony but that was my choice.... I did like the live view in the Sony and the fact that the image stabilisation is in the body and not the lens this means that any Sony lens you use has image stabilisation out of the box.

Good luck.

and i will echo that , nikon and sony just did not feel right in my hand , the 1000d felt spot on , and although it is taking time to get used to it i am loving it :thumbsup:

cheers

Yeah the A300 is priced in between I ordered via Pixmania.co.uk but for retail shops in the UK its exclusive to Jessops.

The A200 and A300 seem to have lower noise in images but it seems its as their 10mp sensor is not trying to cram as much detail in as the 14mp sensor.

I'd echo what other people say you have to go in have a play with cameras and hold them, based on price and spec I was all set for an Olympus e410 mainly as it was compact and I thought it would be easy to carry with me but it was awful to hold, the Sony Alpha's though were really nice to hold.

Yeah Leaky is right the first one is the A300 and single lens kit, the second includes the 18-70 lens and the 75-300 lens and the last one is the A300 with no lens.
I got the A300 with single lens but for the price dfference I wish I'd got the twin lens kit as the 75-300 lens is £100+ on is own.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.I am a impulsive person,so after mulling over a few things and reading the reviews i decided to get the Sony A300 from webelectricals for £265 and then also you get £40 chequeback from Sony.

I'm really very impressed with my A300 finally managed to get out and try it at night tonight, and I will be taking the day on Wednesday to get some nice day shots and try and get used to my camera.
These are the best two night shots from my venture out, not great mainly due to my lack of skill but I'm impressed how well the camera works with practically no light!

3225955587_91cedaca00_b.jpg

3225958431_ed64f15187_b.jpg

Hi, I ordered a A300 from web electricals, but they ran out of stock, anybody know where i can get one for that price as compared to everybody else web electricals seemed to be much cheaper.

Mick

P.s They dont do the cash back on this model

I paid £390 via Pixmania.co.uk but its gone up to £440 now!

Sorted.. Jessops.. £339

Sony cash back -£40

Total £299

:clap:

Last edited:
Jacobs digital are doing the a200 inc 18-70 + the 75-300 for £330 after CB. Unless you really want liveview and a tilting screen, that is a pretty good buy.

Jacobs digital are doing the a200 inc 18-70 + the 75-300 for £330 after CB. Unless you really want liveview and a tilting screen, that is a pretty good buy.

Thanks for that, but i'm going to stick with the A300, my wifes just picked it up......

I have also recieved a email from web electrical stating no longer stocked and asked my to have the A350 instead.

Back to square one again!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom