Considering IP TV

3Greens

Novice Member
Reaction score
  • Hi, thanks in advance for any advice!

I am struggling to receive a decent TV signal in my home and considering different options. I was hoping someone here could help!

The below is a reasonable summary of my situation:
  • My family and I don't do a huge amount of TV watching but most of the content we do watch is streamed over appleTV or Netflix
  • We occasionally watch terrestrial TV over freeview but the reception is very poor.
  • I would like better access to TV channels for ad-hoc viewing, movies, news, kids shows, international content, etc.
  • there are 3 different TVs in the home in very different places which would require 3 different connections - not all would be required simultaneously
  • All TVs have access to coax aerial cable and Cat5E ethernet as well as a strong wifi signal
  • Some of the TVs have a 2nd coax port (the kind with a threaded port) but I haven't managed to determine what this is fed by (if anything).
  • The house used to have virgin media connection for TV - these were all through external cables which were fairly poorly installed and very visible and I had these removed when we redecorated so i assume this infrastructure is now gone.
  • Internet is now provided by Virgin Media who can supply up to 1GB. The connection is excellent and supplied via single coax cable (plus a spare) running from my the front door to the data cabinet (not near any TV)
  • The house is wired throughout with Cat5e and what ever coax cable is used for the aerial feed

• I have largely ruled out Virgin for TV (or Sky) as I don't think it can work through the existing aerial coax cables and I don't want to drill through external walls
  • My neighbours tell me that the freeview signal in the area is patchy at best and think this is likely a non-starter.
  • A limited amount of research suggests that IP TV might be a good option but I don't really know where to start with this: exactly what it does, whether it's any good, which service to use, etc. but my thoughts are there must be a good service for me that doesn't require complete rewiring of the house and makes use of the excellent data cabling and high-speed internet available already.

If it does sounds like IP TV is the right option, would someone be kind enough to provide an idiot's introduction to what, how and why?
If not, I would welcome any other suggestions!

I’m pretty sure your not allowed to discuss iptv on this forum due to the illegal issue :)

Thanks TVPlayer looks quite limited - does that mean the likes of OneIPTV/NetFly (both of which come up as paid ads with a quick google search) are not legal?

those are both just apps.
they, themselves, don't give you access to anything

I had a look at TVPlayer a while ago and the picture quality left a lot to be desired. It still baffles me there is no official streaming version of Freeview.

If you want live TV then Sky or Virgin are your only bets. It looks like you already have VM broadband so they should be able to provide TV pretty easily.

It still baffles me there is no official streaming version of Freeview.

why would there be? Freeview is the business set up to deliver TV via DVB-T.

if someone else wanted to set up an official internet streaming service then they could certainly do so providing they are the required licences to do so.

TVPlayer, i suspect, is the best you'll get based on what they are allowed to do legally.

Last edited:
why would there be? Freeview is the business set up to deliver TV via DBV-T.
Cause this 2021 and not the 1990s :laugh:

I don't really care who runs it! In the age where younger people don't have a TV and watch everything on their tablets/phones or laptops a service that carry's all OTA broadcasters would be pretty popular.

It’s more likely that each channel will want to keep their content under their own control via their own apps (which is what we’re seeing already) rather than letting someone else handle it

Also, the young tend not to watch linnear OTA TV, they watch it on demand

What channel can’t you currently watch online legitimately?

Zantarous, thanks for your reply. As you point out, Virgin could indeed supply TV but it would involve needing to drill through external walls which I wanted to avoid.

Chenks, I'm afraid I don't quite follow your point that these services are just the app but not the content. Taking One IPTV as an example, their website appears to have a subscription of £12 a month which promises 54k channels, etc. Is this not on the level?

It’s more likely that each channel will want to keep their content under their own control via their own apps (which is what we’re seeing already) rather than letting someone else handle it

Also, the young tend not to watch linnear OTA TV, they watch it on demand

What channel can’t you currently watch online legitimately?
I don't watch TV online, when I want to watch linear TV I am limited to what I can watch, not every channel has a app for my TV or Shield. Is there a app CBS Action?

I am not entirely sure why you are disagreeing with me, if you don't see the value in it that is fine but I would genuinely like to be able to watch Freeview without having 50+ apps (most of which I can't get form my Nvidia Shield or TV) and having to manage 50+ username and passwords and privacy agreements.

I’m not disagreeing, I’m saying it’s unlikely to happen because the rights holders will want to keep control of their content

Even sky glass, which is IPTV has had to push viewers to channels own apps. If they have to do it then that tells you everything

Even sky glass, which is IPTV has had to push viewers to channels own apps. If they have to do it then that tells you everything
Are you sure about that? ITV don't have a live streaming service for all their channel in HD (I remember this well form the world cup) nor does C4? Are you sure that is not limited to on demand and catch up content and not the linear broadcast of channels? I actually don't know I am asking a question here.

The itv hd channels are pay channels though, that’s why they aren’t available via itv hub

However the point I’m making that even sky are being forced to use channels own apps for certain content

I can’t see any IPTV based service appearing to produce a freeview like system when the channels can provide access to their content by themselves, gaining your valuable user data in the process

Zantarous, thanks for your reply. As you point out, Virgin could indeed supply TV but it would involve needing to drill through external walls which I wanted to avoid.

Chenks, I'm afraid I don't quite follow your point that these services are just the app but not the content. Taking One IPTV as an example, their website appears to have a subscription of £12 a month which promises 54k channels, etc. Is this not on the level?
If it has all the Sky channels and is £12 you can guarantee its illegal, do you want to give your bank details to and illegal company, to provide you with stolen goods that if the police raid them they will have your contact details?

The itv hd channels are pay channels though, that’s why they aren’t available via itv hub

However the point I’m making that even sky are being forced to use channels own apps for certain content
That doesn't answer the question, are Sky Glass customers not then able to access these channels cause they don't exist in the Hub? I can understand broadcasters insisting on apps for on demand and catch up, but I am talking about linear broadcast. Would be a bit crap if you want to watch ITV 2 HD to have to go an launch an app or if you want to watch BBC 1 etc. I really can't see that being the case.

ITV 1 HD isn't a pay channel though and that isn't in the Hub.

no that's not what i said at all.
i used it as an example of even sky being pushed to use a channels own app for content.

do you want to give your bank details to and illegal company,

such operations are hardly going to ask for your bank details!

Some do and user have been caught, but other than that its paypal which the police can track, or crypto which they cant but very few use that

no that's not what i said at all.
i used it as an example of even sky being pushed to use a channels own app for content.
I think your confusing two different things.

Apps for on demand
Regular 101 channel for linear content.

So Sky are not pushing viewers to apps for BBC 1, ITV or C4 linear channels.

I’m not confused at all

I suspect you’re pushing this to a circular argument, so I’ll leave you it other than so say I doubt you’re ever going to get the platform you want due to channels wanting to keep control of their content and user data that can harvest

Are you sure about that? ITV don't have a live streaming service for all their channel in HD (I remember this well form the world cup) nor does C4? Are you sure that is not limited to on demand and catch up content and not the linear broadcast of channels? I actually don't know I am asking a question here.

Hi mate

All ITV channels are available on a linear basis on the ATV (not sure if its HD ie 1080 but I doesn't look like SD either) channel 4 also has all their channels available, says HD but I would guess 720p, All BBC channels are available as all the different 5 ones, BBC is 720p I expect its similar for 5.

Edit... They are also all available on my Samsung TV (Tizen) and also the Firestick, live TV for ITVHUB and All4 is missing from my Sony Android TV. I expect it will be the same for the shield (not checked mine) obvs the shield is missing all4 completely. It does seem though that this issue you have is specific to Android TV devices

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the responses and lively discussion!

It sounds like IPTV probably isn’t what I thought it was and perhaps a non starter.

Going back to my original criteria, is there any gizmo which might allow we to use the existing wiring in the house (cat5 and standard aerial coax) to run virgin throughout from my data cabinet without virgin having to come and drill through my nice newly redecorated walls?

No you can’t use existing cabling for Virgin, it neither uses cat5 or standard coax

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom