1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Importing Bose Home Cinema System From Us To Ireland

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by CUNNINGM, Jun 16, 2004.

1. CUNNINGM

CUNNINGM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering buying one of the above in the US, deliver to a mate in NYC who is moving home to Ireland later this year. What are the implications for the current (transformer required?), DVD regions and output signal form DVD to TV (NTSC in US, PAL in europe)
    The system is half the price roughly 1000 dollars vs 2000 euro.
    The only reason for Bose is that I love the tiny speakers.
    Please help !!

2. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    More than likely you will need a transformer to step down our voltage for this system (110V in US vs. 220V in Ireland). For the region of the player, it'll most likely be set to Region1, but I am not sure if US players can be changed (through the remote or chipping). Check here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?dvdplayer=bose for a start. There are other sites that list hacks too (just search in google or yahoo). The NTSC/PAL thing shouldn't be a problem as 99.9% of TVs here support both (even cheapy TVs can support both in my experience).
    Hope this helps.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The NTSC/PAL thing may be a problem........many players intended for the domestic US market have NO ability to replay PAL sources - regardless of any region-free mods. So, if true, you may be limited to US imported DVDs (plus, if you can de-region it, Japanese) but may be excluded from the vast majority of European or Australian (etc) titles.

And, whilst not suggesting you discount it completely, there are many who believe that Bose equipment does not, in reality, live up to its marketing. Yes, it looks good, but there may be more important factors.

Whilst we could debate ad nauseam the materials used for the speaker cones and so on, the major points I would make are:

> The Bose Acoustimass Unit is used to reproduce frequencies somewhat higher than in a more traditional subwoofer i.e. extending into the low midrange (to offset lack of ability for this in the satellites) which tends to make its direction/position more evident as you listen.

> Bose satellites can ONLY be used with a Bose Acoustimass Unit. So you lose the ability to upgrade to a better subwoofer if you decide that's what youd like to do.

> Bose Acoustimass can only be used with Bose satellites, so, again, you lose a possible upgrade path.

> There is little in the way of tuning of frequency response, so you are at the mercy of your room acoustics, to a greater degree than with many sub/sat combinations.

Just FYI.

4. CUNNINGM

CUNNINGM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you for your advice.
    I am very much a novice when it comes to home cinema systems.
    The only reason I am considering Bose is for the small speakers.
    I have prewired my sitting room (5.5m x 3m) for speakers in 3 corners all back to the tv location and all I really want is a good system with the smallest possible speakers. Certainly the vibes I am getting is that Bose is not all that brilliant relative to the serious overpricing - especially here in Ireland and probably UK too. I did want the smallest speakers possible ideally with wood effect but I have had no luck. In fact I might start another string on that topic.
    Many thanks again.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want small, but (IMO) vastly superior to Bose, then take a look at - for the satellites ENERGY TAKE 5.2s. They are only fractionally larger than the "twin" Boses; obviously quite a bit bigger than their tiny single items. And for a Sub - not the matching Energy item, but something like a REL QUAKE.

You should be able to demo these items at a Sevenoaks branch. And they will sell you a mix & match setup.

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Or how about kef eggs, Anthony Gallo micros... etc etc

Good luck

7. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DOn't forget the mission fs2av's

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Thread moved to All in one systems, slightly more appropriate than DVD talk.