Considering having your TV calibrated? Find a calibrator here

I've just had my C8 re-calibration completed by Canary Jules, someone I have used on a previous occasion. I decided to try another calibrator few weeks previously, not because I was in any way dissatisfied with Jules work but curious to see how another calibration worked. Unfortunately this was an expensive mistake as I was ultimately underwhelmed and disappointed with the end result. Having lived with it a few weeks I decided to bite the bullet and get Jules in to take a look at it.
Once Jules completed his work on re-calibration I'm left with superb image quality. No more crushed blacks, lost shadow detail. Colours that are now not over saturated and greyscale tracking thats been corrected, the improvements are not subtle. Jules comes highly recommended to anyone who is thinking of a calibration and wants a through, accurate job done. Thanks again Jules for your time, outstanding attention to detail and true professionalism.
Jules calibrated my C8 last year and did a wonderful job also. It was evident how good a job he did after my firmware updated which resulted in black crush and washed out colours. Fortunately I was able to roll the FW back.

Of course, the variation in quality between different TV-screens and makes must be taken into account when the issue of professional calibration in the home comes up. The main question in my experience is whether the screen in its grayscale shows incorrect color tint. Then more professional knowledge and access to advanced equipment is usually required for the calibration to be successful.
A good tip I would like to give to anyone who has a 4k player, prior to the decision on professional calibration, is to purchase the latest edition of the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark - a superb calibration tool in the form of a disc. Those guys know their thing about calibration. Even those who have calibrated their TV professionally will benefit greatly from their disc (follow any changes that have occurred over time). At the end of the disc, Spears & Munsil has a very well-designed test-video that shows directly the possible deviations from optimal color reproduction that may exist. If the problems are limited to color strength, contrast or brightness, these parameters can usually be calibrated without major problems even by those who consider themselves amateurs.

One discovery that I made after the latest update on my LG C8 was that the brightness was increased and the color brightness as well. One direct measure I can see is to reduce the chromatic setting for most types of display to color 40 in some cases even lower. I have seen the same need for change on other screens of the same type.

I'm thinking of getting someone in to calibrate my two year old LG 65OLEDE6 but the professionals map seems to be down at the moment. I'm impressed with the testimonials for Canary Jules and would consider him. Does he also give advice about getting the best out of my Denon amp/5.2.1 setup? (3500H)

Hi - I’ve just got a new Sony 65AF9 OLED to replace the superb ZD9 and I’d like to get it calibrated. The link to the professional calibrators page is still not working, so @Canary_Jules do you come to Solihull and do you recommend a period of settling in on an OLED? Cheers

Also what is the difference between ISF and THX calibration?

Yes I would recommend around 100 hours prior to calibration. Pretty much all calibrators travel, myself included, so yes with regard Solihull too. :)
Great thanks. Well you are now top of my list and I’ll be in touch in 100 hours :)

Purchased my AF8 in June earlier this year and am still struggling to find best settings. Have never had an issue with any TVs in the past but OLED seems to be a different beast altogether....
Can anyone recommend a calibrator in Leeds area and would I see a vast improvement over what content I am currently watching- which is a mixture of broadcast HD (Sky HD box), Blu ray via an Oppo BD 103 which has a 4K setting and a Sony UBP X800?

Any help or assistance would be appreciated 😊😊😊

Hi. There are no calibrators who live in Leeds, but check the map because many of us cover the area. Will you see a "vast" difference is hard to say because they depends on which picture mode you are currently watching in and what you may have done to it. Even if the TV is in its best (by which I mean most accurate mode) a professional calibration will deliver increased (and visible) accuracy.

Hi. There are no calibrators who live in Leeds, but check the map because many of us cover the area. Will you see a "vast" difference is hard to say because they depends on which picture mode you are currently watching in and what you may have done to it. Even if the TV is in its best (by which I mean most accurate mode) a professional calibration will deliver increased (and visible) accuracy.

Hi Jules, Thanks for your response - map link cannot be found when I tried this. I have mainly stuck to Preset settings ie Custom mode when viewing normal content- Sky HD box, and cinema pro settings for Blu ray & 4K discs with some minor tweaking brightness setting between 32/34 depending on what time of the day I am watching and peak luminance at medium- unless HDR (not sure if your familiar with AF8) all other settings are off.

Hope that helps...?

Hi Phargrave i can highly recommend Jules he has done my last 2 oleds and has significantly improved both.
I would imagine he's also probably one of the nearer of the calibrators on this forum to you.
His contact details are here

So I’m slowly building hours on my gz950 and absolutely loving it. But I’m wondering, if you have a calibration done, is motion something that would be included in the process? I’m not unhappy with motion on mine at all. Far from it. It’s just something that is confusing me. Hard to explain in words on here.
Cheers

In short no.

Hi Jules, Thanks for your response - map link cannot be found when I tried this. I have mainly stuck to Preset settings ie Custom mode when viewing normal content- Sky HD box, and cinema pro settings for Blu ray & 4K discs with some minor tweaking brightness setting between 32/34 depending on what time of the day I am watching and peak luminance at medium- unless HDR (not sure if your familiar with AF8) all other settings are off.

Hope that helps...?

This is somewhat of a legacy page, so the map has disappeared. But with regard to the AF8, yes I have calibrated these. In the best OOTB mode they are good as far as accuracy is concerned. However, they do still visibly benefit from calibration - as does every display. There's only so much accuracy you can deliver OOTB in a consumer grade display with thousands of variable elements.

Just wanted to say thanks again to Jules for a cracking job he did on my Philips TV, he persevered to get the best picture for me with limited options, only down side is I would love an OLED now 😁

So how do I now find a list that works for a calibrator, not immediately though as my new Oled does not arrive until tomorrow afternoon and I want 250 hours on it 1st, but want it doing soon as after that I should hope.

Hi. Thanks for your comments. If I may answer your question, in addition to video certifications, I am also HAA (Home Acoustics Alliance) certified. I hope that helps.

Hi Canary_Jules

How much notice do you need to book yourself? And do you come down to Hainault (IG6), London? I only ask as it might be quite short notice (A few days) but most likely a Monday during the day.

So how do I now find a list that works for a calibrator, not immediately though as my new Oled does not arrive until tomorrow afternoon and I want 250 hours on it 1st, but want it doing soon as after that I should hope.

The THX listing is not upto date nor comprehensive. The Program was stopped about 18 months ago. The current listing I recommend is the PVA listing:

www.professionalvideoalliance.com

I have been thinking about professional calibration for my Oled that I am getting in the next few days but my worry is that if the TV develops a fault in its first year or so then you have basically thrown money in the wind.

Hence why I am considering whether to get a Pana instead of LG since the former seem to have quite a good reputation for excellent out of the box picture quality

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom