• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Considering going over to the darkside.

John

After 11 years of having a house with a garden . I may finally be succoming to the lure of a , I can hardly bring myself to type it , of a Gas Barbecue :( . There I said it . oh the shame ;) .
I left my B&Q special out over the winter , and it needs replacing . So am considering replacing with gas . Can anyone talk me into or out of it . I enjoy the whole lighting process , maybe its just that I'm getting a little older and would prefer to spend more time drinking than waiting to cook .
Have considered this one . Anyone any suggestions

John :D

Johnny Thunder

I changed to gas a couple of years ago.
It is not the same as charcoal, but it is still very nice.
I just picked up half a dozen red snapper from my fishmonger today, ready for
tomorrows barbie...........:thumbsup:

Dave

Distinguished Member
Gas all the way mate.

Once you pay for the BBQ it's actually cheaper to run, convenient and easy to control.

I resisted for ages but now I've bought one I'd never go back to charcoal.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Arrrggghhh, no!
What's the point?
You might as well do it on the cooker.
The smell of the wood and the fact that you can't always control the heat is what it's all about to me.

Gas?, I fart in your general direction.
And your mother was a hampster.

:D ;)

Pat_C

We've had a gas BBQ for a few years and I much prefer it. I did lose my eyebrows whilst lighting it on one occasion, but I'm wise to that now.

John

We've had a gas BBQ for a few years and I much prefer it. I did lose my eyebrows whilst lighting it on one occasion, but I'm wise to that now.

Hood down , Gas on , Lift hood , strike match ?
I've lost hair on knuckles and forearms plenty of times :D

Pat_C

Hood down , Gas on , Lift hood , strike match ?
Looking over it (obviously too closely) to see where to put the match, and allowing too much gas to escape before managing to light it. Then I came across those long matches you can buy, which help.

IronGiant

I would prefer to spend more time drinking than waiting to cook .

I've heard that used as an arguement for charcoal, you get to have a drink or two while waiting for it to be ready for cooking. With gas you barely have time to open the tin, much less a get a sip, before you have to put it down and start cooking. :)

Dave

Dave

Distinguished Member
Arrrggghhh, no!
What's the point?
You might as well do it on the cooker.
The smell of the wood and the fact that you can't always control the heat is what it's all about to me.

Gas?, I fart in your general direction.
And your mother was a hampster.

:D ;)

:rotfl:

I see your point but the control aspect is key for me.

After one incident where I was engulfed in smoke whilst trying to cook 12 sausages and ended up with 12 pieces of pure carbon finger, I gave up and bought gas.

You can actually get lava rock with wood in it so it tastes the same for the first few times.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
:rotfl:

I see your point but the control aspect is key for me.

After one incident where I was engulfed in smoke whilst trying to cook 12 sausages and ended up with 12 pieces of pure carbon finger, I gave up and bought gas.

You can actually get lava rock with wood in it so it tastes the same for the first few times.

:D

But I wonder which is your most memorable Barbie, is my point.
Gas is too predictable, or so I thought until I read this :eek:

Each to their own, but I love the "Oh blimey, we haven't got any lighter fluid" scenario.

I guess it does boil down to lighting up time.

ME: "Don't worry love, us men will sort this, you get the onions and stuff going".
HER: "Ok, we'll sort it all out after you've had a few drinks :) :mad: "

Happy days :rotfl:

Having said that, I'm an outstanding cook when I can't see straight :)

Mep

I've heard that used as an arguement for charcoal, you get to have a drink or two while waiting for it to be ready for cooking. With gas you barely have time to open the tin, much less a get a sip, before you have to put it down and start cooking. :)

Dave

wise words mate, that's what it's all about!

INSOMANiAC

Banned
You cant beat a sausage thats been burnt on the outside, frozen on the inside, covered in charcoal and smelling like fire at a cardboard factory.

Charcoal every time.

If your going to use a gas 'barbecue' you should be forced to refer to it as a 'semi-portable gas cooking device'.

WibXL

Definatly prefer charcoal here, can't beat the flavour, smell, drinking time whilst you try to get the thing lit and the charcoaly burnt bits on sausages.

John Simon

I'm pretty sure my neighbours prefere me using a gas BBQ- less smoke & smell.

They are also more turn on/offable, cook slower so safer for meat that needs a good cooking (i.e drumsticks).

I did the jamie oliver whole salmon cooked & tied in a copy of the times newspaper last year and it was really superb!

wombar

Gas all the way for me, but I suppose it depends what you want out of a BBQ. I've seen some people who are really good at cooking with charcoal etc, but the majority are cretins who are lucky to avoid giving food poisoning to their family/friends. Burnt sausages, burgers and chicken drumsticks (all frozen inside) are the norm and I can do without that to be honest.

We have BBQ all the year round with gas, we even had BBQ for Xmas dinner as my brother was working shifts so we pushed the big dinner back to boxing day. This year alone we're well into double figures and now we're getting into the peak of BBQ season I can't wait. They both have their advantages, but gas is quick and easy and tastes great.

I'm not knocking charcoal, but there's a LOT of people out there who haven't got a clue. If you know what you're doing, it doesn't really matter what you use, but for people who don't BBQ much, I'd be happier to see a gas BBQ than a charcoal one.

John

I'm fairly competent with the old coals , its just that I like to cook a fair selection of meat , and seem to run out of time . Gas would let me manage it better I suppose .
Hmmm decisions , decisions . It'll probably come down to cash , as always , in the end

partyweb

Distinguished Member
Gas it is.
If you like that charcoal smell, you can get hickory chips to add to your burner.

I discovered a neat trick a couple of years ago. The missus was clearing out the condiments cupboard in the kitchen and was about to throw out loads of herbs jars that were about 10 years out of date. Me not wanting to throw anything away came up with the idea of sprinkling it on the barbeque rocks while cooking. Voila, the wonderful smoky herb aroma cooked through my steak, chicken & sausages. :smashin:

The only problem was that with the smell the neighbours thought we were smoking something illegal. :devil:

IronGiant

Cooking outside in the summer is fun, it's cooler outside, doesn't stink up the kitchen, and there are a myriad of ways to do it, none are wrong.

To be honest the easiest way is on a portable induction plate with cast iron cookware sat on a stable tabletop. Guaranteed results, no stress and few small children worries. But not a lot different from being indoors.

A proper fire pit stoked up with logs and burnt down to sweltering embers is the truest way to outdoor cooking nirvana but takes a lot of time, patience and a certain amount of skill. It's not necesarilly cheap or safe either, but camp fire food on whatever scale really captures it, if it's done right.

A charcoal BBQ gets close, and I personally prefer good lumpwood to briquettes, in many ways if you use briquettes you may as well use gas.

Gas is a convenient way to cook outdoors and has its place, just make sure you get cast iron, stainless steel or porcelain coated steel grills and check all the bodywork is unlikely to rust, so you don't have to change it every couple of years.

HTH

I'm trying to build a brick built fire pit where I can heat by logs, charcoal or gas depending on what takes my fancy, could be a while though :rotfl:

Dave

BrianC

After 11 years of having a house with a garden . I may finally be succoming to the lure of a , I can hardly bring myself to type it , of a Gas Barbecue :( . There I said it . oh the shame ;) .
I left my B&Q special out over the winter , and it needs replacing . So am considering replacing with gas . Can anyone talk me into or out of it . I enjoy the whole lighting process , maybe its just that I'm getting a little older and would prefer to spend more time drinking than waiting to cook .
Have considered this one . Anyone any suggestions

John :D

Looks a little small, how many will you be cooking for?

I'm afraid I'm a fan of large gas BBQs as I found cooking for a lot of people via charcoal a right pain. As long as you regularly change the little briquettes you get most of the char grilled favour anyway.

Saggy

Gas here for me, I love the charcoal experiance but gas is safer for me with the kids around etc. also much quicker, get home roll it out the shed fire it up burn of the day before's leftovers. go inside get the bits together and off we go. I have used soaked wood chips over the coals and it works really well. You still can get a good flame ball with the gas versions as well for the wow or the ouch effect, get those lava rocks really hot flip the burgers from the hot plate to the grill BOOOM there goes the eye brows :) . mine is a 4 burner and I have used mine loads last year and the year before and also used it for a school summer bbq i organised and 6 times this year so far and the gas is still going strong seems to last for ever :) (bet it will run out later on now). Best garden toy I have brought :)

Martin

SanPedro

Used to be die-hard trad charcoal man till my partner sugegsted we get a gas one. Pah, I thought, gas is for wimps - until we bought one.

It has a double burner - one has a traditional open grill over it, the other a hot plate (greatt for cooking onions and keeping stuff warm).

And you know what? It's effin fantastic. No lighting up time, controllable cooking, food even tastes properly barbecued thanks to the metal plate that sits between the burner and grill. Juices from the meat drop onto the plate and the smoke fires back up onto the food. So you DO get a smokey taste and without the burnt bits. And there's no unpleasant smoke that wafts in front of everyone's face - so you can be cooking right next to the house.

And they are dirt cheap to run. The patio gas is available from B&Q or camping centre type places. The gas bottle even has a meter on it so you knw when it's low on fuel.

Vitalija

Gas is more convenient I suppose but you sacrifice flavour. Nothing nicer than adding a handful of woodchips and some stalky herbs like Rosemary and Thyme to the coals just before cooking.:lesson:

MartinImber

Gas is so easy - all year round as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom