Considering going over to the darkside.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by John, Apr 20, 2007.

1. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    After 11 years of having a house with a garden . I may finally be succoming to the lure of a , I can hardly bring myself to type it , of a Gas Barbecue :( . There I said it . oh the shame ;) .
    I left my B&Q special out over the winter , and it needs replacing . So am considering replacing with gas . Can anyone talk me into or out of it . I enjoy the whole lighting process , maybe its just that I'm getting a little older and would prefer to spend more time drinking than waiting to cook .
    Have considered this one . Anyone any suggestions

John :D

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I changed to gas a couple of years ago.
    It is not the same as charcoal, but it is still very nice.
    I just picked up half a dozen red snapper from my fishmonger today, ready for
    tomorrows barbie...........:thumbsup:

3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Gas all the way mate.

Once you pay for the BBQ it's actually cheaper to run, convenient and easy to control.

I resisted for ages but now I've bought one I'd never go back to charcoal.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Arrrggghhh, no!
    What's the point?
    You might as well do it on the cooker.
    The smell of the wood and the fact that you can't always control the heat is what it's all about to me.

Gas?, I fart in your general direction.
    And your mother was a hampster.

:D ;)

5. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    We've had a gas BBQ for a few years and I much prefer it. I did lose my eyebrows whilst lighting it on one occasion, but I'm wise to that now.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Hood down , Gas on , Lift hood , strike match ?
    I've lost hair on knuckles and forearms plenty of times :D

7. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Looking over it (obviously too closely) to see where to put the match, and allowing too much gas to escape before managing to light it. Then I came across those long matches you can buy, which help.

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,563
    I've heard that used as an arguement for charcoal, you get to have a drink or two while waiting for it to be ready for cooking. With gas you barely have time to open the tin, much less a get a sip, before you have to put it down and start cooking. :)

Dave

9. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    :rotfl:

I see your point but the control aspect is key for me.

After one incident where I was engulfed in smoke whilst trying to cook 12 sausages and ended up with 12 pieces of pure carbon finger, I gave up and bought gas.

You can actually get lava rock with wood in it so it tastes the same for the first few times.

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    :D

But I wonder which is your most memorable Barbie, is my point.
    Gas is too predictable, or so I thought until I read this :eek:

Each to their own, but I love the "Oh blimey, we haven't got any lighter fluid" scenario.

I guess it does boil down to lighting up time.

ME: "Don't worry love, us men will sort this, you get the onions and stuff going".
    HER: "Ok, we'll sort it all out after you've had a few drinks :) :mad: "

Happy days :rotfl:

Having said that, I'm an outstanding cook when I can't see straight :)

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    wise words mate, that's what it's all about!

12. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You cant beat a sausage thats been burnt on the outside, frozen on the inside, covered in charcoal and smelling like fire at a cardboard factory.

Charcoal every time.

If your going to use a gas 'barbecue' you should be forced to refer to it as a 'semi-portable gas cooking device'.

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    agreed, a barby has to be on charcoal. Gas?? How naff is that!

14. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Definatly prefer charcoal here, can't beat the flavour, smell, drinking time whilst you try to get the thing lit and the charcoaly burnt bits on sausages.

15. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I'm pretty sure my neighbours prefere me using a gas BBQ- less smoke & smell.

They are also more turn on/offable, cook slower so safer for meat that needs a good cooking (i.e drumsticks).

I did the jamie oliver whole salmon cooked & tied in a copy of the times newspaper last year and it was really superb!

16. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Gas all the way for me, but I suppose it depends what you want out of a BBQ. I've seen some people who are really good at cooking with charcoal etc, but the majority are cretins who are lucky to avoid giving food poisoning to their family/friends. Burnt sausages, burgers and chicken drumsticks (all frozen inside) are the norm and I can do without that to be honest.

We have BBQ all the year round with gas, we even had BBQ for Xmas dinner as my brother was working shifts so we pushed the big dinner back to boxing day. This year alone we're well into double figures and now we're getting into the peak of BBQ season I can't wait. They both have their advantages, but gas is quick and easy and tastes great.

I'm not knocking charcoal, but there's a LOT of people out there who haven't got a clue. If you know what you're doing, it doesn't really matter what you use, but for people who don't BBQ much, I'd be happier to see a gas BBQ than a charcoal one.

17. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I'm fairly competent with the old coals , its just that I like to cook a fair selection of meat , and seem to run out of time . Gas would let me manage it better I suppose .
    Hmmm decisions , decisions . It'll probably come down to cash , as always , in the end

18. CLIVEEDWARDS

CLIVEEDWARDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gas it is.
    If you like that charcoal smell, you can get hickory chips to add to your burner.

19. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I discovered a neat trick a couple of years ago. The missus was clearing out the condiments cupboard in the kitchen and was about to throw out loads of herbs jars that were about 10 years out of date. Me not wanting to throw anything away came up with the idea of sprinkling it on the barbeque rocks while cooking. Voila, the wonderful smoky herb aroma cooked through my steak, chicken & sausages. :smashin:

The only problem was that with the smell the neighbours thought we were smoking something illegal. :devil:

20. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,563
    Cooking outside in the summer is fun, it's cooler outside, doesn't stink up the kitchen, and there are a myriad of ways to do it, none are wrong.

To be honest the easiest way is on a portable induction plate with cast iron cookware sat on a stable tabletop. Guaranteed results, no stress and few small children worries. But not a lot different from being indoors.

A proper fire pit stoked up with logs and burnt down to sweltering embers is the truest way to outdoor cooking nirvana but takes a lot of time, patience and a certain amount of skill. It's not necesarilly cheap or safe either, but camp fire food on whatever scale really captures it, if it's done right.

A charcoal BBQ gets close, and I personally prefer good lumpwood to briquettes, in many ways if you use briquettes you may as well use gas.

Gas is a convenient way to cook outdoors and has its place, just make sure you get cast iron, stainless steel or porcelain coated steel grills and check all the bodywork is unlikely to rust, so you don't have to change it every couple of years.

HTH

I'm trying to build a brick built fire pit where I can heat by logs, charcoal or gas depending on what takes my fancy, could be a while though :rotfl:

Dave

21. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Looks a little small, how many will you be cooking for?

I'm afraid I'm a fan of large gas BBQs as I found cooking for a lot of people via charcoal a right pain. As long as you regularly change the little briquettes you get most of the char grilled favour anyway.

22. Saggy

Saggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Gas here for me, I love the charcoal experiance but gas is safer for me with the kids around etc. also much quicker, get home roll it out the shed fire it up burn of the day before's leftovers. go inside get the bits together and off we go. I have used soaked wood chips over the coals and it works really well. You still can get a good flame ball with the gas versions as well for the wow or the ouch effect, get those lava rocks really hot flip the burgers from the hot plate to the grill BOOOM there goes the eye brows :) . mine is a 4 burner and I have used mine loads last year and the year before and also used it for a school summer bbq i organised and 6 times this year so far and the gas is still going strong seems to last for ever :) (bet it will run out later on now). Best garden toy I have brought :)

Martin

23. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Used to be die-hard trad charcoal man till my partner sugegsted we get a gas one. Pah, I thought, gas is for wimps - until we bought one.

It has a double burner - one has a traditional open grill over it, the other a hot plate (greatt for cooking onions and keeping stuff warm).

And you know what? It's effin fantastic. No lighting up time, controllable cooking, food even tastes properly barbecued thanks to the metal plate that sits between the burner and grill. Juices from the meat drop onto the plate and the smoke fires back up onto the food. So you DO get a smokey taste and without the burnt bits. And there's no unpleasant smoke that wafts in front of everyone's face - so you can be cooking right next to the house.

And they are dirt cheap to run. The patio gas is available from B&Q or camping centre type places. The gas bottle even has a meter on it so you knw when it's low on fuel.

24. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Gas is more convenient I suppose but you sacrifice flavour. Nothing nicer than adding a handful of woodchips and some stalky herbs like Rosemary and Thyme to the coals just before cooking.:lesson:

25. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Gas is so easy - all year round as well.

26. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charcoal is easy, too.

Just get a decent kettle barbecue, some charcoal, a pack of firelighters...

and a blowtorch. Works every time.

I find the food from gas barbecues tends to be really dry, compared with cooking on a kettle, with the lid on. And charcoal is a lot less metrosexual. Do people really complain about smoke at barbecues? That's like complaining about the noise at a rock gig.

27. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I totally agree with the convenience statements :smashin:
    But I guess I must have a different way of thinking.
    It strikes me that all you people who barbie often or regularly seem to go for gas.

With me, a barbie is maybe a 5 times a year thing.
    So it's a special occasion, which, to my mind, actually requires the smoke in your eyes/ burn your hands/stink the house out etc type of stuff.
    That's what makes it memorable for me :D

TBH, I don't think I could eat barbie food regularly.
    Too much meat for my liking (although I realise it doesn't have to be all meat).

I suppose at the end of the day, it's all about enjoying it, so it doesn't really matter what you use :thumbsup:

28. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Excellent point.
    I sort of said the same thing, but you beat me to it :smashin:

29. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Cookability, thats the beauty of gas :D

I'm sure there was an advert about that some time ago :rolleyes:
    How many times have you managed to turn down the "Coals" when the chicken needs more time to cook instead of giving the guests a case of the squits.

Plus the fact that in the summer, we use the BBQ maybe 3-4 nights out of 7 to cook the evening dinner on.

I rest my case & would never turn my back from the dark side :thumbsup:

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I agree with Badger - if you are going to barbeque then it has to be with charcoal. As said, you may as well just cook the stuff in the oven and eat it outside if you're going to use gas.

Charcoal gives a unique taste and is easy to cook safely with if you use a bit of common sense and don't try and cook on it too early. You don't turn the coals down of course, instead you vary the height of the grill to cook faster or slower. Had stacks of BBQ's and never managed to poison anyone to date. You can even do chicken in the oven or microwave first if you wish to be extra safe and make sure that any bugs are killed, but sensible BBQ cooking will do the job by itself. The smoke, the odd impromptu flame flare up and the taste of the food are a big part of what creates the BBQ atmosphere IMO.

All a gas BBQ is, is an outdoor gas cooker.

I guess if you use it like this then a Gas BBQ can be handy and convenient for cooking and eating outdoors. I'd still have a proper BBQ as well though for the full on BBQ experience when friends etc. come over.