Considering going back to my roots...Lol!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by recruit, Sep 3, 2012.

1. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have been listening to music and AV for a good number of years but I find myself watching less and less films and listening to more and more music and time and age fly by, so am considering going back to a good old 2 channel set up.

I have mixed the 2 fairly well with a good balance with my lovely Arcam AV888 but I feel the urge to move on and go just 2 channel but something to do my ProAc D28's justice as they will be staying as sound sublime and I have just borrowed a new Musical Fidelity M6 Intergrated amp to play with and they do sound bloody good but they did in the first place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my thinking...

Sell the AV888 and Rotel 1575 and Cyrus DACX+

then

buy an Arcam Super DAC, with an Arcam Pre or ??? and then I dont know what power amp to go for???

I'll be using a streamer for music so NO CD is in the equation.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  2. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Definitely go down the 2 channel route :)

I know some people aren't huge fans but have you heard Naim and Proac, I find it a really nice combination. Maybe you could use one of their streamers with a pre/power combo?

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Naim is a possibility, there DAC has great reviews too!

4. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    It is very good indeed, I had a fairly lengthy demo if it last year.

They also have superb streamers.

Depending on budget...

ND5 XS or NDX

Later upgraded with an N-DAC

282 or 202 Pre

200 or 250 Power

Then if you feel the need and think it'll benefit you a external PSU or two the D28's are great speakers very nice fluid bass :thumbsup:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget will depend really but should be fair and get me something that I know I would be happy with, Naim is certainly a brand I am keeping an open mind about, my uncle has all Naim kit so am very familiar with its sound and heard its kit on a variety of different speakers and ProAc being one of them.

Its the DAC and Pre stage that I really want to get right and then I will just be happy to demo all types of amp/s until I find the right ones.

6. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    give Valves a listen , also plenty of other choices apart from the well known names like naim mf proac
    that produce excellent sound

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks...

8. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Bit of a wild card but have you considered the classe cp800?

It's a pre amp with built in DAC and is exceptional in both areas! I'm aiming to add one to my system next year! :)

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intended to get to listen to some classe kit as it has been on my list for some time :)

10. cornish

cornish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    we don't watch many movies either, but would like an avr for the times that we do although i would not consider getting rid of my 2ch amp, as would want to keep it purely for the music.

what are you going to do when you find you want to watch a movie? run it through the 2ch set-up? i get the feeling that in time, you will find yourself (possibly) disappointed when you want to watch a movie.

have you set up the 2ch amp to see how you feel about movies? just to get an idea of how different it will sound.

there are some people that have nice high end hifi setups that don't listen regularly, but if it was suddenly all gone i'd bet within a week they'd miss it because it wasn't there to use anymore! (just my thinking behind your option of selling the avr).

if you can accomodate both an avr and a 2ch amp, that is probably the best way to go as you get the best of both worlds. i know it is probably a budgetry constraint for selling the av stuff, but if it does okay for now, why not wait a little longer to achieve the best of both worlds?

that mf amp looks the business! judging by the photo, were you having a street party by any chance? :D

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes cornish you are right in your thinking, my thoughts were to get an AVR of around the £1K mark and then use that for movies but focus primarily on 2 channel :)

12. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Following on from what Cornish said.

Why not stick with your AV888, sell the Rotel 1575 get something more cultured for music (sorry). Get a DAC which can act as a Pre and try to bypass the AV888 with a switch. Something along the lines of John Westlakes - MPAX whenever it arrives, which allows you to connect DAC > power amp. This way spend more money on a good stereo power amp by not having to buy a pre-amp or integrated, this allows you to keep the AV side as well.

Cost wise MDAC plus MPAX is 1K (£599(actual) + £400(estimate) ).

This is what I',m planning to do. Ditch my 8 channel AV power amp for dedicated 2 channel , ideally also from the LakeWest stable so I can match the front 3 and buy a cheaper stereo for the rears. Space permitting. Problem is MPAX or MAMPS are not in production yet.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what you are saying and I do love my AV888, it has served me well and is only processor that does do justice to both music and movies that I have owned, I am hopefully getting the dem of the Arcam Super DAC which If i'm honest I do love the Arcam sound and really want to stick with them for the main part of my 2 channel sound and then focus on a decent poweramp, by selling off my existing equipment it will release funds to leave more doors open if you know what I mean, any old £1k AV amp can do fairly decent DD 5.1 & DTS surround if and when I choose to watch a film but 2 channel needs to be done properly.

Like the Musical Fidelity M6 amp I have atm has loads of grip in the bass department but something is missing, it's losing the midrange and maybe some sparkle at the top end which I like with the Arcam, its an average price at £2600, it might need more running in but so far it does not do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012