Considering going Apple

It's pretty "extreme" isn't it ? Every home should have one

Can you imagine the dust it would collect....give something for the wife to do though :devil:

Gazza,

This is a quick guide I done on how I setup this Hackintosh. Im sure it can be done other ways, though I felt this was easy. If you have access to Mac then you can buy Mountain Lion and make the USB stick skipping the Snow Leopard parts.

No Major issues or Compatibility problems so far.

Attachments

• Hackintosh Install Guide1.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 357
What BT USB adaptors are you using. I keep reading about issues with anything less that BT 4.0 compliant with waking up from sleep.

Just got bargain Z77x board, i5-3570 CPU and 16GB of 1600 me for £260 from the classifieds

I'm not using Bluetooth at the moment but when I go to the USA next month I'm going for the recommended one on the tonymac site, its $12 from amazon. It's BT4.0 compliant. I've now got it running dual monitor. That's not bad price for the bundle you got. If you know somebody with a mac, get them to make the USB stick for you and skip the snow leopard part.

Ah...if only I knew someone... :rolleyes:

Cheeky request...when you go to the States you could get me one please ...2 (?) for keyboard and mouse or does it just need one ?

Thats what I saw.. someone is taking the mickey. Appreciate that and I'll sort cash out before you go if you like ? Do you only need one for both devices ?

I have some friends in the States but its easier to be over there to do that sort of thing. Especially as Amazon ship to anywhere and they have Amazon stores as well.

I honestly don't know if you need more than 1, will need to do some research. Don't worry about the cash, its only $12, maybe $24 and I'm sure the Vegas blackjack dealers will see more than that1

Blackjack...evil and addictive...but so much fun :thumbsup:

I thought I'd read that 4.0 will handle two devices but I'll have a check as well

What about a late iMac BT board? Not sure if they have such but you can always get a mini PCIE adaptor if this is true?

Yes those cunning little Applers did. I'll used wired until Tony comes back from his debauchery in Vegas.

Still debating whether to get a 500GB SSD or don't bother and just use a 2tb drive with another 2 tb as a Time Capsule. Gives me room for a Windows partition jsut in case using VMWare Fusion 5.

I know SSDs are quick but to be fair OSX boots up quick anyway and i read that mixing SSD and HDD on a Hackintosh leads it to create a Fusion drive ?

Just to clarify, Im on Holiday late June but I can post from over there if you want it quicker.

No worries... I can wait. Although if you get desperate you can put them on evens if you want :eek:

Hmm all this talk of Apple computers and Aperture is making me think about swapping over to one to do my photo editing on. That way I don't ever have to bother with Adobe bloatware again :D

I used to have a dual boot Windows/'ubuntu machine but it died on me a few years back and I never got round to loading it again!

Apple does present a nice neat all round solution mind you. Accepting that CS 5 etc has its place for many I don't really use mine other than for things Aperture can as well

Do any of you use an iMac for this kind of thing? I've been drooling over one of the 27" iMacs and wondered if they're powerful enough. I believe you can easily upgrade the RAM yourself on these machines :)

I know a few do here. I was looking again at the iMac's in JL yesterday. If I go that route the 21.5 would be big enough for me and how and where I use it. 27 is simply awesome but I wouldn't use it for media such as movies where that would be really useful...just the odd one and YouTube. For photo processing the 21.5 would be perfect for my needs. want to try a Hackintosh just as an exercise first......

Last edited:
Do any of you use an iMac for this kind of thing? I've been drooling over one of the 27" iMacs and wondered if they're powerful enough. I believe you can easily upgrade the RAM yourself on these machines :)
Yep I use a 27" iMac and find it more than powerful enough. Apple charge a fortune for RAM so I bought it with the minimum it came with (4GB) but then bought 16GB from Crucial for a fraction of what Apple would have charged for the exact same thing.

The 27" screen is just superb for editing, viewing and is also brilliant for watching videos etc. I used to have a 21" iMac and that too was brilliant and I thought at the time ideal for photo editing. However the extra real estate of 27" really makes a difference and not sure now I would want to go smaller.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom