Considering Gigabyte Aorus fo48u as a TV

liarma

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some opinions on the gigabyte aorus fo48u and using it as a TV.

It uses the same panel as the LG C1 48" but it is marketed as a gaming monitor and lacks any smart TV features and some other minor differences.

Currently where I live the fo48u is on sale for $1039 AUD which is almost half the price of the LG C1 48" ($1899 AUD). I don't really care for the smart TV features as I don't connect my TV to the internet anyway and am planning to use a PS5 for all my media (Netflix, Stan etc.) anyway.

From what I have read the HDMI 2.1 ports are limited to 24Gbps bandwidth as opposed to the C1 which has 48Gbps. I am not familiar with the new 4K 120Hz/HDMI standards, can someone tell me how this will affect performance with using a PS5 or PC using these HDMI ports? It does have a Display Port 1.4 though, if I am not mistaken I can use a Display port to HDMI cable and still have the full bandwidth though.

If someone with knowledge or experience with these displays could share their opinion or advice that would be greatly appreciated. From my limited viewpoint it seems that for the price, this is a great deal for someone who is on a budget and wants OLED and doesn't care for Smart TV features. Thanks!

The rtings.com review is pretty telling: Gigabyte AORUS FO48U OLED Review

They have reviewed the C1 also and make remarks on the Gigabyte in relation to that. One example being the C1 gets brighter than the Gigabyte with HDR, something that is pretty crucial when buying a HDR TV nowadays. The other stand out is the monitor is not as accurate out of the box as the LG.

It won't have significance if you're only using PC or PS4 but the Gigabyte will also fall back to HDR10 when using Netflix instead of Dolby Vision HDR which you'd be able to get direct from the LGs apps.

If you don't mind about colour accuracy, aren't too bothered about HDR being dim and you want to save some money then I don't see why you wouldn't want to go for the Gigabyte, however I would not expect the same exact performance from it as you'd get from the LG C1 itself.

The rtings.com review is pretty telling: Gigabyte AORUS FO48U OLED Review

They have reviewed the C1 also and make remarks on the Gigabyte in relation to that. One example being the C1 gets brighter than the Gigabyte with HDR, something that is pretty crucial when buying a HDR TV nowadays. The other stand out is the monitor is not as accurate out of the box as the LG.

It won't have significance if you're only using PC or PS4 but the Gigabyte will also fall back to HDR10 when using Netflix instead of Dolby Vision HDR which you'd be able to get direct from the LGs apps.

If you don't mind about colour accuracy, aren't too bothered about HDR being dim and you want to save some money then I don't see why you wouldn't want to go for the Gigabyte, however I would not expect the same exact performance from it as you'd get from the LG C1 itself.
Thank you very much for your response and the link to the comprehensive review. I believe for my use case and budget, the FO48U is going to be a great choice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom