1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Epson TW10 any comments?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yellowbug, Apr 24, 2004.

1. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi here goes with my first post on this great forum (first of several I imagine). I'm going to buy a projector! (Seems like a very good idea.) I have been researching them for oh about 3 days now, and so far the Epson TW10 seems like a good bet. I am however prepared to go up to £2,000 (i.e. twice the price of that model).

My question is, does anyone care to comment on the TW10 specifically (I know it's new out), or on the general concept of spending £900 as opposed to double, and the difference in quality of picture between those two price points...

I do know all the basics re: lcd vs. the spinny wheel type, but from what I've read the TW10 doesn't have a problem with the 'screen door' effect.

I will be looking to project slightly downwards from the top of a tall bookshelf, a distance of 3.8 metres from lens to screen (ceiling mount not an option).

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Ade

2. bigrabbie

bigrabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too mate,

sometimes people don't get back to you because these topics have already been disscused, however, i've seen the tw10 in action just recently and its a very good projector, but it wasn't untill i ordered the panasonic ptae 300, shame cos i was having a bit of emotional delemia one day it was the epson next day it was the panny,then i came across these forums and did a bit of searching and basically decided on the panny, i have since then seen it in action and in my view it is a better pj than the epson.

nomatica has the epson for a unbelievable price- just incase you were looking for a source

cheers

3. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, it's certainly a good price. Do they have a good reputation d'ya know?

Ade

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
  5. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, those sound like real improvements. The next step for me (hopefully this week) is to actually see some projectors in action at (fairly) local dealers. If the tw10 looks right I now know that I need to wait a while until the 'h' (or whatever) reaches these shores.

Thanks again,
    Ade

6. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    the TW10 is a tempting prospect, It can be had for £741 at the moment and seems to be rated highly

The Home Cinema Choice review is online, I don't know hot to get the shortcut to it but you can see it via the AV resources drop down.

I was hell bent on getting a Z2 as my 1st projector but I'm starting to wonder exactly how much difference there will be between that and something like the TW10. For a newbie to projector land and the sake of £500 it may be worth a punt I reckon.

Plus then I can upgrade me amp as well :D

7. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that review was one of three that I had read that impressed me. The only negative that I can see in the reviews I've read is that there can be visible blanking lines due to the lack of 'proper' scaling on the tw10.

The only other concern I have is relating to the 480 resolution, and whether that really is sufficient.

There are about 25+ user reviews of the tw10 on projector central (do a search for the model and then click on user reviews). All sound absolutely excellent. So my shortlist is tw10, tw100, or pana a500.

Just wish I could find a good dealer somewhere in the UK that has the epsons on demo!! I have yet to see the output from *any* pj, so whittling my shortlist down to 1 may be a bit tricky.

Ade

8. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you considered the Themescene H56, now down to £1995

9. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review of it, or two, but probably haven't considered it properly. One fairly important factor for me in liking the epson tw10 is the short throw distance, as I am limited to 4m, so I will need to factor that into my decision too. Perhaps I have placed too much emphasis on that. Time to take a step back and hit the old reset button!

Ade

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Yellowbug and welcome aboard, I keep saying this to people but make sure you demo the projectors you short list, on a level playing field before buying.

Personally I wouldn't look any further than the Optoma H30, hang on a minute I didn't! (just joking)

I got my H30 about 10 days ago and I am in awe everytime I switch it on, lately I've been going through some of my older DVD's to see how they compare.

Last night I watched Deep Blue Sea again, It was like watching a remastered movie, the detail particularly in darker scenes was incredible, I was amazed at what I had missed first time around.

Check out Projectorcentral as they did a review of the H30 only this week.

H30 now around £1000, see "H30 brilliant, brilliant, brilliant" thread on this forum.

Incidentlly my H30 is just under 4m from the screen and the mimimum screen width is 65".

Regards, MikeD

11. alfalfa

alfalfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yellowbug,

As you will be mounting the projector on top of a bookshelf, you will need a projector with vertical lens shift to avoid having to angle the projector downwards and compensating with keystone correction. Where you want to mount the projector and what size image you desire, will usually limit your choice of projectors.

The Hitachi PJ-TX10 is very similar to the Epson TW-10 and has lens shift. It is known as the Hitachi Home-1 in the USA and you can read the review at www.projectorcentral.com

An Epson TW200, Sanyo Z2 or the upcoming Hitachi PJ-TX100 are all higher resolution projectors within your budget that have lens shift. You have to see for yourself to decide if you need the higher resolution. I would say it is definitely worth it if you can afford it.

All these projectors can produce a very large image at 4m. You may find the Sanyo Z2 (which has the shortest throw and least flexible zoom) to have too large of an image.

Alf

12. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    (As you will be mounting the projector on top of a bookshelf, you will need a projector with vertical lens shift to avoid having to angle the projector downwards and compensating with keystone correction. Where you want to mount the projector and what size image you desire, will usually limit your choice of projectors.)

Hi alfalfa, not really true about having to have a projector with lens shift.

You'll find many posts on AVS where people have shelf mounted and simply inverted their proj after sticking rubber feet to it's top face.

I do agree however that using more than just a tad of keystone correction should be avoided.

Yellowbug be sure that ventilation from the proj cooling fan is not restricted by mounting on top of the bookshelf or you could have serious probs.

Regards, MikeD