Considering Cancelling Sky

Scott28

Forumn Members,

Once again I come to you with a request for information.

I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that I no longer require the services of Sky Q in my home, I cancelled the movies / cinema package about 12 / 18months ago, it would be a understatement to say I have missed it (the seldom search I do of the movie channels always infuriates me with the number of repeats, and abysmal premieres).

I am not a sky sports fan (I only watch Rugby, UFC, Boxing & Golf, which are either always on free to air channels or PPV)

I am paying £28pm (£336 per annum) for Sky, and for what I am struggling to understand, as far as I can tell, it’s the ability to record and ease of use for the Mrs. I would also like to clarify that, this isn’t an issue about price, I just don’t see a value in what sky have to offer, given that what I watch is mainly BBC & Channel 4, or Netflix and NAS stored movies.

So eventually we get to the information request part, saying I do pull the trigger on sky and cancel it (after GOT final season), what user friendly (wife friendly) Sky alternatives are out there, I already utilise Netflix & Amazon Prime, and for more recent / recently released tv / movies let’s just say I don’t have any issues there

Not interested in a pay monthly package; I have the sky dish which I can wire in FreeSat, I don’t have a terrestrial aerial and I have no intention to install one.

As always; any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

logiciel

Hi. Get a Freesat receiver and recorder.

Scott28

Hi. Get a Freesat receiver and recorder.
Can you recommend any, that have a DVR or record function built in ?

With a UI that is wife friendly.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I've cancelled Sky and thought I'd miss and we did for the first month, but since cancelling as a family we have not looked back (with the exception of recording feature). I have subscribed to Netflix and since cancelling Sky and as I hate paying for adverts it's been great.

I always thought Sky knew when I was channel hopping too as they always decided to bombarded me with advert after advert regardless of what channel I watched, (Only joking about them watching me) although I do hate paying to watch adverts :D

I have however reinstated the recording feature for £10 as it was the only thing we missed and even though that's still a little steep just for a PVR, it keeps getting updates and its still working, which keeps me and the family happy. When it finally breaks, I'll look at a PVR or maybe a HDD for my TV enabling me record channels :)

Last edited:

logiciel

The Freesat receiver and recorder is the Humax HDR-1100S.

Scott28

The Freesat receiver and recorder is the Humax HDR-1100S.
Thank you, will the human work with the Sky Q LNB or will require a new one ?

logiciel

If the Sky Q LNB is a hybrid then no, if not then yes.

Scott28

If the Sky Q LNB is a hybrid then no, if not then yes.
I think it is the non hybrid LNB, typical sky, when I upgraded to Q they removed the old LNB

Scott28

@logiciel Does anyone still use motorised dishes these days ?

Or is that a thing of the past ?

Last edited:

TJT1

I think it is the non hybrid LNB, typical sky,
The visible difference is that the Q LNB only has two cable sockets, the Hybrid has six. I'm talking connectors, not cables.

logiciel

TJT1

Are you deliberately trying to wind up our favourite aerial rigger logi?:rotfl:

logiciel

You got me TJT! He rarely comes on these days.

Scott28

Are you deliberately trying to wind up our favourite aerial rigger logi?:rotfl:
No, and I meant absolutely no offence @logiciel, for which I am struggling to see how :thumbsdow

Scott28

The visible difference is that the Q LNB only has two cable sockets, the Hybrid has six. I'm talking connectors, not cables.
Yeah, it is a Sky Q LNB, checked this morning, however not a big deal as I have changed one previously.

TJT1

No, and I meant absolutely no offence @logiciel, for which I am struggling to see how :thumbsdow
The reason that you are struggling is that there was none either given or intended.

It was a bit of an 'in' joke' which you obviously missed.
You said "Are motorised dishes a thing of the past?". logi said"We never hear about them now on here. You're probably right!". Then I said in reply to logi's comment "Are you deliberately trying to wind up our favourite aerial rigger logi?" This was a reference to a long standing and trusted member here who is always, without fail, promoting the use of motorised dishes. To which logi has now held his hand up to admit guilty as accused (by me).

logiciel

Scott - by all means start a new thread if you want to know about motors.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom