Considering cancelling Sky...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lynx, Nov 3, 2004.

1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I don't feel it's good value so i'm considering terminating the service. Before i do so is anyone aware of what they might offer for my to stay ? Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

2. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx,
    Just do it, don't prevaricate. I did about 6 months ago, even got rid of the skybox. I haven't missed it at all. I keep getting mailshots from them offering 1/2 price for the 1st 3 months etc etc.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is a good chance they will offer you a cut price subscription right there and then, perhaps a little acting to make it sound like you are not determined to cancel but have too will sway the CS rep.
    Either way it's more or less given that you will at some later point be offered a cheap resubscription deal.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'd rather get a deal when i contact them at first as *if* i cancel, i will be reluctant to go back anytime soon. There are kids in the house which complicates things a little.To sum up, if i get offered a deal fine, i will consider, if not i'm gone. :)

5. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Sorry but I don't think I could do without it - and I know that sounds sad :rolleyes: I reckon 70% of the progs we watch are on Sky and I really enjoy all of them.

Mind you I've been without my mobile since it was nicked last Thurs and thats been like losing my right arm! Maybe I'm just a gadget addict :D

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Great position to be in regardless of the service you are thinking of leaving:)

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i downgraded to a package without movies, i ve been with sky since the first boxes/ dishes[ remember the amstrad box? with the white dish] and i have never had any free periods or whatsoever from them......................................i also found that whenever sky do a free box blah blah, the subsciptions tend to up a pound or 2.........................so you could sort of think were paying for the free equipment to pass onto new customers..

8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've not had any subscription TV for about 18 months now - don't miss it one bit. If I can't find anything I want to watch on Freeview then I just turn off the TV and do something else. I never thought i was getting value for money from either Sky or Telewest - far too much poor quality programing and too many repeats, i often found myself scanning the channels in a desperate attempt to find something worthwhile to watch. I've now freed up a lot of time and a lot of money. Quite liberating :)

9. buckaroo

buckaroo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whenever Sky say the boxes are subsidised, they mean WE'RE paying for them. :rolleyes:

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Following a call to Sky requesting the cancellation of the service on the grounds of poor vfm, they offered the family package for 3 months for £13. I declined the offer and and asked if there was any deals on a movie and sports pakage to be told no...there are no deals available. Fine, Sky's loss, i'm off in 30 days and i won't miss them.

11. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I got offered nothing after having sky/astra for over 10 years.

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I found it amusing that although i was prepared to negotiate a deal to spend more money per month by increasing my package they were more interested in cutting my sub to save me £4 a month. Seems they don't want punters money...strange, however they have lost another customer and once i'm disconnected i will have little desire to return as i listen to the radio and read.

13. drdavewatford

drdavewatford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that they're great at milking their customers - all I want is the sport channels so I can watch football, but I'm therefore obliged to pay for a "basic package" in order to get it, none of which I ever watch, in order to be given the privilege of paying to watch Premiership footy...

14. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Good one. Just think what you can now do with £40 a month.

15. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few days to go before we give up Sky completely too, after about ten years subscribing. If anyone from Sky is reading this, ask yourself why. You know what to do, I'm happy to wait until you smell the coffee.

16. Teapot

Teapot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my case, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'll be at a live Premiership game on Saturday.

17. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    GOt to push something here - but Sky are being studip - Freeview is taking up very fast and for most people is fine - you would think they would not want to lose more customers to FV

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I am seriously considering dumping Sky as well (after about 10 years) - it doesn't seem to cater for stuff I like anymore. Movies I buy on DVD as they tend to have better PQ and sound. TV Series, such as Enterprise and 24, are so ruined by adverts that it's not really much fun to watch them - so I tend to buy them on DVD as well. BBC services and News is available on Freeview (with better PQ). The only things I would miss would be the History channel and UKTV Gold/Drama. The former I think I am prepared to live without - the latter haven't shown anything decent the last 2 years. So why do I give Sky £40 odd per month :confused:

19. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yep, the only progs i may miss are some of the documentries, but as you say adverts and poor pq can ruin the experience.The girl dealing said council telly are showing repeats of the Snowman in the run up to Christmas and is that what i really want to watch ? I didn't have the heart to tell her i have a better library of dvd's than most hire shops and coupled with an av system and 100's od cd's there is little chance of me pinning for bloody Sky once i had left.
    :D

20. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although not SKY , I dumped NTL cable a few years back & went for freeview.....haven't looked back :thumbsup:

Best investment I have made is a TiVo (lifetime sub) that I let record all my favourite pgms. I don't watch TV that much, but appreciate having a huge selection of programmes I WANT to watch at my leisure on the TiVo. :smashin:

Also something very satisifying knowing your not lining the pockets of Mr Murdoch etc :devil:

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

How many have they actually lost then?
    The churn rate is pretty stable and there always was going to be a point when new subscribers started to dry up, only so many households are willing to pay above and beyond the license fee for TV.

Of course they could cut prices etc but there is no point running a commercial business at a loss, it took 5 years for SKY D to make a profit and it is probably sustainable at the current levels. The task for SKY now is to keep the current 7.4 million DTH subscribers and the 3mill (ish) cable users who subscribe to some SKY branded channels.
    It's certainly going to be interesting to see how stagnant the subscriber growth will be over the next 12 months and how the churn rate is affected compared to overall turnover and profits.

Dtt(Freeview) is going to be in 22 millions homes eventually, SKY can do nothing about that which is why the push on SKY+, mirror sub and HD to increase the perceived value of the service.
    It is and will be a good option for those PAY subscribers from both Dsat and Cable who don't want to pay a monthly sub but for the next 5 years or so it will not be a valid alternative for a PAY service.
    Put simply the majority of the 4million + DTT boxes sold have gone to households new to digital who were never and would never be PAY customers, others have been bought as second or third digital sources for existing digital viewers and no doubt many by people totally removing a PAY source to go down a non-subscription route.

Personally I consider the DTT line up (not including the PSB channels) is total crap and the only reason I have it is that it's a good alternative to FTA/FTV on Dsat plus the simple fact that DTT is not going anywhere and will become a very viable alternatve once analogue is gone although I stll question the long term FTA nature plus the birth of HD on the platform.

Only thing for sure is that the UK digital picture is going to evolve dramatically over the next decade, maybe SKY won't be the top dog and maybe the BBC will be made to fend for itself and who knows ITV could just be a memory wiped out by huge competition for a finite advertising market.
    It's going to be interesting:)

22. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I have two Sky+ boxes in my house, and i have just had a wonderful evening of tv viewing, none of which i viewed on any of the Sky channels.....?

Pondering now what to do, now I know this is the end...............SKY!

Darren

23. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Which begs the obvious question..
    Why did you invest so much money on SKY and it's hardware in the first place? Surely before SKY the bulk of your TV viewing must have been the five terrestrial channels and/or pre-recorded material and obviously nothing much has changed in that regard.

It's a puzzle why perfectly sane people spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on something they obviously don't need:)

24. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Boys and toys spring to mind. ;)

25. garbon

garbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Sky a few months ago to cancell my sub. No offers of reduced costs (I was also a customer since the genisis of digital) I had only seen the price go up and quality of service go down. I and along with most people I think lose signal during a heavy storm, and digital is meant to be the future and an improvement. As I cancelled during the middle of a month then I ended up paying admin charges and it cost nearly 2 months worth.

26. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yup, we cancelled sky a couple of weeks ago.

I asked for the Sky + for the £99 offer and got refused so I cancelled there and then.

Kinda glad they refused the £99 deal really. :)

I watch the odd footy match but there is very little else that makes the monthly cost worthwhile

27. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Were you still within a 12 month contract for SKY+ or multiroom?
    Don't understand why the basic 1 months notice wasn't all that was required for cancellation.

As for losing signal in bad weather, the dish may have needed realigning, the cables and connectors better sealed and in extreme cases a Zone2 dish.
    Problem solved, just a shame that so many people accept that problem as the norm for satellite broadcasts.

28. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I cancelled sky two years ago when it went to £30 a month, I thought for that money I could buy three dvd's a month ( DVD soon ) .
    I now have nearly 200 dvd's and don't miss sky at all.

Dave.

29. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a second hand digibox to view my tv through my plasma. I thought that the sat. picture via rgb scart, to vga would be the best quality and at the time it was my only option as we were unable to receive freeview where we lived (even with an ariel upgrade). I took the minimum subscription to sky about 15 months ago at an introductory price of £6.50. I only did this as I was informed by sky (through an annoying on-screen message) that some channels were to be blocked for free to air viewing, namely ITV, Channel4 and Channel5.

After I subscribed it didn't take long before the direct debit had increased to £6.75. and then after 12 months it went up to £13.50. This charge for basically viewing ITV, Channel4 and Channel5 in my opinion was not worthwhile, Oh I should say it included sky1 but I never watched it anyhow. About three months ago we moved house and WHOOHOO! we can get Freeview. I could not wait to cancel the Sky subscription! I did this and was informed that they would do me the "family" package for three months at the same as I was currently paying (after that it would go up to £19.odd. I was not in the slightest interested in this so I cancelled it.

I have ordered a Humax 8000T freeview 80gig PVR for £142 which will be here Tuesday. So for the price of 10months down the drain sky subscription I will be able to watch all the channels I should have got from Sky for nowt...for nowt, and have the flexibility of a PVR.

30. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We used to have Sky when it first came out and for our family viewing when I lived at home it was a novelty and it allowed us to watch films etc. I think sky really lost its way in the interim when they started charging extra for box office stuff....come on. If you are subscribing to the movie channell you should get all of them for goodness sake £40odd a month and you have to pay extra to watch "the box office".

If you are thinking of ditching sky then do it I couldn't wait and I will not be going back unless they get real and realise what people want. They rely on the apathy of subscribers to not cancel their direct debits and too not realise that they are not getting value for money..!

All this is only my opinion btw and eryone is entitled to theirs. Sky is not for me.....currently ;)