Considering Buying

nufc_fan

Established Member
Reaction score
Im considering buying the 360 hd add on drive!

I currently have a hd ready medion tv 720p support!

A few Questions?

Is the improvement worth it?

Is the noise of the xbox and drive a serious problem, i have heard complaints but is it that bad?

What are the best titles available at the min for pic quality? and where are the best places to buy them, either from uk or import

Where is the best place to buy the drive at the min? and does it still come with kk

thanks

Im considering buying the 360 hd add on drive!

I currently have a hd ready medion tv 720p support!

A few Questions?

Is the improvement worth it?

Is the noise of the xbox and drive a serious problem, i have heard complaints but is it that bad?

What are the best titles available at the min for pic quality? and where are the best places to buy them, either from uk or import

Where is the best place to buy the drive at the min? and does it still come with kk

thanks

Yes, its worth it. Depends if you think that the noise from the 360 is going to disrupt your enjoyment of films (you can always pump up the volume :) ).

Serenity and Batman Begins are stunning on HD-DVD (and that's in 720p!). I've brought KK which is supposed to be pretty good, haven't watched it yet (KK no longer comes with the drive, not for me anyway). Got mine from Argos, £120 for a HD-DVD player - bargain.

If you already have a Xbox then the HD-DVD addon will not add to the 'noise'. The Xbox and addon, when playing HD-DVD's makes the same noise as when the Xbox is in the desktop.

The noise doesn't bother me, it is audiable if I listen for it, but I don't notice when watching a movie. :D

IMO the improvement is well worth it ;)

There are a few threads about HD-DVD's with great PQ, check out the HD Movie forum, The HD-DVD which are considered by many to have the best PQ are KK, Happy Feet, Hulk, Corpse Bride, Ant Bully and A Scanner Darkly.

I'd stick with imports they are cheaper, earlier and no region coding to worry about, I have always had great service from Movietyme . :D

I was a bit worried about noise too, but I needn't have. As a previous poster states, the Xbox itself is no louder than when it displays the dashboard. I'd been worried it would have the hovercraft engine noise you get when loading a game!

The HD drive itself is very quiet.

Picture quality is great through component. Serenity looks particularly good as mentioned earlier.

steve

The HD-DVD drive will not add any extra noise. My 360 is pretty quiet when its booted to the dash with no game playing and it is just as quiet when playing HD-DVD's.

The picture quality is great. Last night I was comparing Superman Returns on HD-DVD (playing on the 360) and the SD-DVD version on my Marantz 6001. The picture was superior on the 360 HD-DVD but the sound of my Marantz blew away the 360's sound.

The sound of the add-on is very quiet and flat compared to the Dolby Digital 5.1 analogue outputs on my Marantz.

The sound is the only let-down as far as I am concerned and I believe MS are working on an update to fix this.

I'm about to (well shortly anyway) get a HD Player, so far got 5 discs and counting:rotfl: ) but still not 100% whether it'll be the add on or a dedicated Tosh Player.

If it's the add on, can I just check a few things with existing owners.

A quick check round the back reveals that I'll need an Optical cable to go from my Xbox 360 to my ageing Yamaha Amp (doesn't have any new HDMI stuff etc etc only Coax/Optical and 5.1 Analog inputs).

If I were to purchase an optical cable, then I'll be able to output pretty much whatever the HD-DVD (or 360) drives puts out audio wise? Although, I understand My Yamaha may treat these new formats as just DD/DTS anyway? That'll be fine for now, assuming the audio fix for the HD-DVD drive sorts all current issues.

Basically, get a Optical cable, HD-DVD drive and sorted for now?

To get to the next stage, True HD, DTS MA etc etc will involve a new HD-DVD player and potentially a new Amp which I can think abuot next year:D

Yes. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom