1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering buying Pioneer PDP435XDE and looking for help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scotdeej, Jun 10, 2005.

1. scotdeej

scotdeej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm considering the Pioneer PDP435XDE with the pedestal stand and have a couple of queries I was hoping some of you kind folks could answer. The idea of the separate receiver box does sway me as it seems a neat solution with so few cables having to go to the screen but I am open to suggestions as recent reviews for the new Panny TH42PV500 have me a bit confused.

My main watching will be through my Sky+ box and I've noted a previous comment about Pioneers not being good with Sky, have many people found this to be the case? (will be using RGB scart until Sky bring out a HD Sky+)

My other query is regarding speakers, I have a Teac reference 350 DVD player and amp with the 5.1 speakers that came with the package. The unit I am getting does not have space for the centre speaker (doh!), the two options I am considereing is mounting the centre speaker about a foot above the screen on a shelf or I was wondereing if I could buy the Pioneer stereo speakers that sit underneath the screen and wire both of them as the centre speaker (continuing to use my Teac speakers as left / right and rears).

Any help would be gratefully received by this hopeful newbie.

Thanks

Derek

2. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Scotdeej, I can only comment on the visual side of the XDE as I use a totally seperate speaker system. I have standard Sky and have it plugged in via RGB scart and I am happy with the picture. I will admit that it's not great on all Sky channels but the main ones I watch seem fine to me? A lot of people do have concerns about the quality of the sky picture and then other people seem fine with it. Best advice I can give is to try and view both screens together and see what you think as different people have different tolerance levels for picture defects!

3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the XDE with Sky+ and a good quality scart lead and I really cannot fault the picture, easily as good as my 100hz sony 32" crt. I do have a very good signal though, full bars almost on input 1 and 2.

As for the speakers it will depend on the power handling and impedence as to whether they can be wired to your amp, if you can't find this out on the net i'll pm you with the spec when I get home 2night

Cheers

Paul

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I too have the 435 XDE and have no complaints regarding picture quality from sky, in fact I'd say most channels were excellent and the times when I've watched Freeview that has been almost dvd like quality. Some channels can be a bit dodgy but that would happen with any screen even crt.

Saying that I would definately check out the Panny pv500 as judging by peoples comments and mag reviews etc this screen seems to be the dogs b's and if I was buying a tv now then this one would have to be looked at.

5. Damo9424

Damo9424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have a 435XDE as well (images to follow soon), I am a bit confused on freeview. Can this work with any aereal or do I need a powered one ? I have tried but have had no luck recieving any channels, is there something I am missing ? I have checked freeview website and I am in an area that can recieve it so please help !

Damo

6. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Scotdeej,from the thread title I thought you meant you were looking for psychiatric help following your insane suggestion you were considering an XDE :D

The answer,as ever,is as Bigmax stated,you've got to see them both for yourself.I've absolutely no regrets,just can't get near the damn thing thanks to my 3 teenagers and all their friends.Congratulations on the open mind and lack of woolly coat

Damo,not trying to teach you to suck eggs,but you wouldn't be the first person to miss the fact that there are 2 inputs on the XDE mediabox.Aerial in to digital,aerial out from digital and then aerial in again for analogue.Have you connected both correctly?

Regards
    Ian

7. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I totally agree with everything thats been said above.

DVD - fantastic
    Freeview - very good on the higher quality channels, no worse than crt on a bad channel
    Sky - same as freeview.

The PV500 may be flavour of the month, and no doubt be a fantastic screen, but I doubt you'd be disappointed with an xde.

8. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A good aerial is required for digital receivers also

9. Damo9424

Damo9424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRD, I am a novice at all this, am I right in saying that my aereal goes into the in anolouge and do I the loop a cable between out and in digital ?Not too sure what connections to make ?

Damo

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Damo, if freeview would be your primary source, (and you are presumably not stupid so if poss it will be!) go into digital 1st, and loop to analogue. If there is still no freeview, check your postcode in www.freeview.co.uk and if that's positive, you need a new aerial. If the answer is no, all is not lost. A clever aerial techie can get freeview to work. The engineers aerial sites have loads more info on them, re. hills in the way etc. Where are you, maybe there is another nearby forum member who can tell you local freeview info.

11. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi Damo,as MAW says,connect your aerial to digital in,then either buy,or easier still make,a short (6") length of coax with male plug one end and female the other.This connects between the digital out (alongside the aerial you've already plugged in) and the analogue in.Then hopefully both tuners are connected.If you've still got a poor signal it could be your old aerial (I spent over £200 on a new one,worth every penny) or the signal strength in your area-see MAW's advice.
    Regards
    Ian

12. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you also need to consider that if you have a video or sky that you will need to loop the output through them first then to analogue in