Considering buying an IPad

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by hansi, Dec 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. hansi

hansi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know absolutely nothing about IPads, but a friend has got one and says it's wonderful! However, I already have a desktop computer, laptop and netbook running Windows XP and am quite happy with the. Would I gain any advantage by getting a Ipad and having the hassle of copying everything over to it?

2. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    In my opinion the iPad looks to me like it can do everything my laptop can do, but more portable with a better battery life. In all honesty I am intending to sell my laptop and replace it with a laptop (some people call me crazy, I say I'm new wave :p) while I have my desktop for other purposes.

I can play games, read books, write documents, make spreadsheets, play music, browse the web, check mail and watch video. All this is all I do on my laptop and it will be much more pleasant to use, in my opinion.

The only problem is any work I do will not (as far as I know) be compatible with Microsoft Office so I will probably have to work out which work I am more likely to do on the go.

However, I will be waiting 6 months to get the iPad 3 as, in theory, it should be a major upgrade.

For you I would recognise the same. If you intend to sell the laptop or at least just the netbook then the iPad would be an ideal replacement, some would say upgrade. If you intend to keep the aforementioned tech, one of them will end up collecting dust, so don't bother unless you intend to sell the others.

3. hansi

hansi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're replacing your laptop with a laptop? Why? And doesn't the Ipad use Apple OS, in which case, my Windows programmes wouldn't run on the IPad. would they? As far as waiting for the Ipad 3, surely this just goes on and on, there will be a 4,5, etc. I think I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for your suggestions.

4. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    With an iPad sorry. Replace the laptop with an iPad.

Well yes, but buying at the start of a product cycle is more sensible than 2/3rds of the way into the cycle when the newer model will have major and minor changes as well as the same price. That is something a lot of people do not remember - unless you never get buyers remorse, in which case do whichever.

Like I said, if you want to do work stick to a Windows device like a laptop or netbook unless you don't mind juggling your work.

5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    iPads run iOS - a "mobile device" operating system designed by Apple. iPads, along with iPhones and iPods, don't run "programs" (software) like a computer does. An iPad won't even run MacOS software. They run Apps - downloadable bits of software from the App Store directly on the device (or via iTunes, although the new direction of iPads/iPhones/iPods is to make them post-pc, meaning no computer necessary to connect them to - more or less be independent devices)

I think you need to spend a bit of time in the iPad forum and read up on them, what they do, how they do it, what sort of apps are out there for you, etc, as well as go into an Apple Store and play with one for a bit to get the idea. Why not spend some time with your mate who has one, and learn a bit more to understand what it's all about, before deciding definitely that it is or isn't for you? And educated decision is a better decision ;)

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,350
    Once you buy an iPad you will find you actually never need to turn your laptop or netbook on again. I only ever turn my laptop on now to sync itunes and update it. Everything else I either do on the iPad or my desktop PC. It's an old laptop so not worth much otherwise I would have sold it by now.

7. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    as Matt_C says ipads and iphone run iOS and not the full OS X, as it's an optimised mobile OS just how Android is (the OS you will find on ASUS, Sony and Samsung tablets etc) another mobile optimised OS and also another OS which you wouldn't be able to install your existing Windows programs.

8. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Actually no longer need to connect to update, since iOS 5, and with iTunes Match you don't need to sync Music either...

9. Flatcoat

Flatcoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Even if you have an iPad, you will still need one of your computers to run itunes on. You can use an iPad without linking to a computer but I do not use it in that way.

What the iPad does do is change way you use computers completely to the extent where you would rarely use a PC. It has so many advantages - the main one being that within a couple of seconds of switching it on, you can be looking at websites on the internet.

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,350
    Yes, forgot that. Now it does it over the wifi, I may not use it ever again!

11. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    As suggested above, you do need to keep a computer just in case, but the longer you don't use it the more likely you are to never need it.

If you could only download to a NAS or even a Time Capsule, then that would be the end of the computer for sure!