Considering buying a LAN Party Evo Game Cube from CyberPower - Advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paulybaby77, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Paulybaby77

Paulybaby77
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hi chaps

I'm a 35 year old fart looking to move from console to PC gaming for the very first time. I have no experience in PC gaming whatsoever and all I want is a gaming system that'll 1. Play the latest high end games for a few years to come, 2. Is compact as I am limited by space and 3. Preferably from a company that does interest-free credit.

I've come across www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk that would appear to have everything I need. A LAN Party Evo Game Cube which appears powerful, is compact and is sold by a company that do interest-free credit. A link to the model I am referring to is as follows:

LAN Party Evo Game Cube

Bar the standard core components found on the web page, the only things I am looking at upgrading are the CPU, Motherboard & Video Card to the following:

CPU: Intel® Core™ Quad Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Intel Z77 Chipset Mini-ITX Mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, SATA-III, 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

Firstly, has anyone used this company before and if so, how do you rate them? I'm sure I've seen them advertise on these forums so I guess they can't be that bad if so?! Also, will this system, in particular with the upgraded components do me for say the next 3-5 years at the very least?

I really am a newbie with all this but I'd like to buy a pretty powerful gaming PC from the off instead of changing components every 5 mins!

Cheers.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    Cyberpowersystems have been going for years so they're not a fly by night operation, I can't say I've heard anything on their reputation lately though (good or bad).

That bitfenix case is BIG for a mini-ITX system, it's even bigger than an mATX system (such as a bog standard dell).

What sort of resolution of screen(s) will you be gaming on? A higher resolution will be more demanding and is what the 4GB version of the 680 is designed for.

I'm afraid spending that much on a system won't make it last that much longer, for two reasons.

1. The high end stuff isn't that much faster, the price goes up faster than the performance.

2. Computers grow exponentially. Compared to a fixed yardstick like a specific graphics card then game requirements may go up 40% in the first year but by will appear to double between years four and five.

So you could spend 100% more on components to get 50% more performance which extends lifetime by 25%.

But on to specifics, I would expect any new gaming system to last three years and a system like that will manage four. It might push five, it'll depend on what comes out and what you play. With the next gen consoles due for release in that time frame I wouldn't bank on it being capable of all games released over Christmas 2017 though.

Do you want to overclock the system? If not then the K-series CPUs are a waste of money and the equivalent non-K models will give you identical performance.

Expensive motherboards are likewise only a good idea if you specifically need their features as they won't improve gaming performance.

3. Paulybaby77

Paulybaby77
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    EndlessWaves,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in the way you have. I was worried I'd get just a yes/no answer so my appreciations.

In response to the two direct questions you've raised, my intentions were to buy a BenQ XL2420T 1080p monitor to accompany the system and I'm not sure how much benefit overclocking will have in my case (I understand what overclocking is but all I read are the negatives that can come with it if the CPU isn't overclocked correctly so unless it can make a drastic improvement to games, I guess I won't be).

In view of this and as you've touched on, it would seem there's no reason to change the 3 components that I've referred to above. Looking at the system's default components, can I ask whether you feel this is a good enough system as it is or are there any components that you would change that make that would make it run just that little bit better?

Alternatively, do you know of any pre-built systems that offer more for £1129 (bearing in mind I'm looking to purchase from online retailer who offer interest-free credit)?

Thanks again.

Paul

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    Intel overclocking these days seems part of the range, the performance benefit is similar to the extra you pay for it. CPUs are very robust so it's unlikely to damage something, the system can be unstable if it's set to high but it's a five second job to lower it and cure the problem.

The XL2420T is a 3d screen isn't it? If you plan to use that feature then you will need twice the performance to get acceptable frame rates. I'm not sure how 3d works with extra video memory though. The GTX 670 is fine for normal or 120hz 1080p though.

Default components on that particular build:

1. Case - the cheaper one is smaller and still says it'll support the stuff you want. It is personal preference though.

2. CPU - If you're not overclocking then either go for the i5-3570 or i7-3770. If you're mainly going to be thrashing the CPU in gaming and not something else then I'd be inclined to go for the i5 as some of the i7's extra performance comes from hyper-threading which most games won't use (as it requires 8 core to be supported).

3. I'm not sure what the default cooler is like, if you're not overclocking then the Intel Stock cooler is fine for temperatures so you'd only want to buy the better one if it both lowered noise and the Intel one was too noisy for you.

4. Power supply. Tricky one this, the included one isn't brilliant and a little low on power (360W at 12v) but the only upgrade they offer is a £70 650W model with almost twice as much power (636W at 12v) which is rather more than you need. Do you think you're likely to add stuff generally (e.g. fill the USB slots with powered devices or lots more hard drives)?

5. Hard drive is fine (pick whatever size you need) but SSD wise I'd spend the extra tenner to get the more rounded M4 over the Agility 3, for gaming an SSD won't make much difference (loading times only) so depending on how else you're using this machine you could potentially drop it entirely, although it's nice to have.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Paulybaby77

Paulybaby77
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Evening mate.

I've done a bit of re-jigging and in the process, brought the price down by about £250 to a total of £1286. What do you think to this?

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Gaming High End Case (Black Colour) - Still just gonna stick with the default for the time being.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Quad Core 3.40 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (For Ultra Slient/High Performance -- SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fans, 500-1200rpm (Custom PC Award Winning !!) ***Overclockable XXX***

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Intel Z77 Chipset Mini-ITX Mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, SATA-III, 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

Power Supply Upgrade: 650 Watts Power Supplies ( CoolerMaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready) - Apparently when rigging it all together, it suggests 650W.

Hard Drive: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

Data Hard Drive: 240 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive)

With regards to the BenQ monitor, I do believe it is 3D ready though I have no intention of playing games in 3D as it's just not for me (movies yes but games no and I have a 65" 3DTV for that)!

Cheers.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    Buy separate and build yourself!
    Seriously tho, seems like a good rig

7. Paulybaby77

Paulybaby77
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Lol! I wish I could mate but with a baby on the way (the wife that is!) I wanna make things as smooth and as hassle-free as possible.

I'm also a lazy sod which doesn't help!

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    You decided to pay extra for the overclocked CPU then?

The 7970 is very similar to the GTX 670 if you'd rather have ATI, that's not the faster gigahertz edition though so be sure to check which one any reviews you're looking at refer to.

I'd probably go for the Corsair TX650 rather than the Coolermaster as there's more information on it around.

I've mentioned above what I'd do about the other components but overall it's a good system.

9. Paulybaby77

Paulybaby77
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    That's the default CPU for the system mate and I think it's only around £8 more than the non-K version so I guess for such a small monetary difference it might be worth going for it should I ever decide to overclock in future (unlikely but for £8?!).

Regarding the card, I've been recommended to go for the 670 instead of the 7970 if I intend gaming on a 1080P, which is most probable, as the 7970 is more suited to 1440P. As much as I'd love to game on a 27" 1440P monitor, 24" really is as big as I can go and I have to consider the wife will be using it for her work too and I think she sometimes finds our current 22" a little overpowering!

I think this is definitely the system I've got my eyes set on as, although it's not the smallest casing out there, it'll fit nicely on my computer stand whereas some of those bigger cases wouldn't fit for love nor money! Again I also need to consider that an interest-free deal is my only option as I can't afford to buy a system outright, so that also narrows my choices even further, but for a pre-built PC I don't think it's too bad price wise, especially when say compared to the Dell Alienware X51 for example.