• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Considering buying 2nd xbox - can I use my live account on both?

tikigod19

Established Member
Hi guys I have a slim console downstairs and want to buy a hdmi elite for upstairs. I know I can use my xbox live account on both (not simultaneously obviously) and it means I'll need to recover my profile every time I want to switch consoles-is that right?

Is there a better way if doing this by saving the profile to a USB device which is compatible with old and new xboxes?

Basically what should I be aware of when buying a 2nd console!

Many thanks

kinarduk

Standard Member
Yes, I do this all the time with a USB memory card. Very easy.

Although I have two old xboxs not one of the new ones, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Quick and easy. No recovery required.

James.

deathtrap3000

Established Member
The only thing you have to be aware of is that when you buy something on one console, it will only work on that console. If you want to use it on the other console then you have to be signed into live. Hope that made sense.

tikigod19

Established Member
Thanks guys. I don't buy anything on there so that should be fine.

Can anyone confirm whether kinarduk's solution will work with an elite and a slim?

tikigod19

Established Member
Fantastic where about do I go on the dashboard in order to export my profile? And import come to think about it.. Never done anything regarding xbox hard drive management before

tikigod19

Established Member
Will I need to copy the profile from console A to console B via the USB stick each and every time I want to play on console B or could I do it once and then not need to do it every time? (does that make sense!) I'm basically after finding this out before I click buy.

Thanks

DJSigma

Banned
Will I need to copy the profile from console A to console B via the USB stick each and every time I want to play on console B or could I do it once and then not need to do it every time? (does that make sense!) I'm basically after finding this out before I click buy.

Thanks
Gamertags, game saves, DLC and games can be accessed directly from the USB stick, so all you'll need to do is move your gamertag(s) and game saves to the USB stick then plug that into whichever 360 you're using at the time. You don't need to keep copying your gamertag and saves to the hard drive, then back to the USB stick every time you swap consoles, so it's a simple and painless method of playing across multiple 360s.

When you get your USB stick, plug it into the 360 and go to My Xbox - System Settings - Memory. You'll see the USB stick listed and then you can click on it and choose to configure it for use as a 360 memory device. Once that's done, you can move items to it from the same section of the dashboard (the Memory section of System Settings) and you can even move a bunch of things to the stick in one go. It's dead easy to figure out when you actually try it.

Last edited:

tikigod19

Established Member
Fantastic thanks for your detailed reply. It sounds dead simple.

So are you saying in theory I could save gamertag, save games etc all to a USB stick and as long as that is plugged into whatever console I'm playing I can basically use thar memory stick instead of the hard drive? Therefore I never need to copy the data across after the initial copy?

DJSigma

Banned
So are you saying in theory I could save gamertag, save games etc all to a USB stick and as long as that is plugged into whatever console I'm playing I can basically use thar memory stick instead of the hard drive?
Yep, you can do exactly that.

tikigod19 said:
Therefore I never need to copy the data across after the initial copy?
That's right. The 360 can read and write data direct from/to the stick, so you never need to copy the data across once it's on the USB stick.

tikigod19

Established Member
this is great info thanks.
One final question before I buy my 2nd console.

If I copy my profile over initially and then on xbox A my rank in a certain game goes up, without copying to the USB again, if I plug that USB into xbox B will I be the higher rank in the same game?

I understand that if the ONLY copy of the profile was on the USB stick then I would play from that stick and therefore any changes would save to the stick in real time.

however is it actually possible to use a profile that is only located on that stick, or would I need to copy it to the local xbox hard drive each time before signing in?

I've lost myself there.. hope that makes sense

Alex_976

Established Member
Your making it sound more complicated than it is.
Once you have copied your profile to the memory stick you would then copy the save file of what ever game you are planning to play on the 2 machines on to the memory stick as well. Thats it.

DJSigma

Banned
Yeah, it's dead simple.

Gamertags and saves go on the USB stick. The 360 treats the USB stick the same as a hard drive. You connect the USB stick to the 360 you're using and play your games. As your gamertag and saves are accessed direct from the USB stick, just like they would be if you were using a hard drive, everything is always up to date. Apart from initially moving your gamertag(s) and saves to the stick, you never have to move or copy them again.

DJSigma

Banned
BTW, Tiki, you should just go ahead and do it. I've tried to explain in a reasonable amount of detail, but perhaps that's making the process sound more complicated than it is. When you do it, you'll see that it's totally painless and works flawlessly, so you'll be able to do exactly what you wanted and just move the USB stick back and forth between consoles without having to copy things to/from the hard drive every time.

mudstuff

Prominent Member
+1, I do exactly this and have a slim in the lounge and an Elite in the bedroom so EXACTLY the same setup ;)

Just put your profile and saves on the stick and move it between consoles. The only thing I've found is Crysis 2 glitched on me so I put the save on the HDD. I went to play it on the other 360 so just deleted the old save on the stick and copied the new one over and then onto the HDD of the other console. You shouldn't have to do that though.

If you're using both a lot, I'd recommend a decent USB stick. I use an 8GB OCZ Rally2. Fast read and write and very reliable.

Hopefully for the next xbox, Microsoft will change how this works as lots of people have more than one console. I sometimes get into bed, fire up the xbox and realise the USB stick is downstairs :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom