1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering AV32R plus power amp - advice?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by SimonInd, Mar 7, 2005.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've currently got a Denon AVC-A1D and a TAG 60P ( front L + R ) powering Epos ES22s from a HTPC. I've been impressed with the TAG and now I'm considering ditching the Denon in favour of an AV32R and a power amp. My questions are, what does the dual processor option get you? and which is the better power amp, the 1005R or the 7007R ? the former is monobloc based (which is appealling ) but I don't know much about the 7 channel beast. I'll only be running 5 channels so any extra channels would be used for biamping the Epos's.

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon

I believe the 100x5R is the better solution as it is true monoblock design and has five power transformers, one on each seperate curcuit board. The only thing that links them together is the controller which is not in the sinal path, it merely decides which channel modules to fire up and supply electricity to.

Unless you are talking about a 100x5R/7 which was a very expensive but neat solution where two of the 150W monoblocks were removed and replaced by 2 stereo 75+75W cards (physically the same size), you must be talking about the cheaper 100x7R unit produced by TMA at the very end to match the cheaper AV30R processor. Whilst I must confess to having never heard the unit, the cheaper power amp only had one power supply and was a single PCB layout from memory with some clever tricks to swith different modes of amplification on and off. I don't beleive it had anything like the horsepower that the 100x5R had, especially when driving all the channels.

I know the technical guys here will explain it much easier than me, but the therory behind mono-block design goes back to the Ark. :rotfl:

Buy yourself the 100x5R and use the 60P to drive the rear channels - put it behind your sofa on some 5m long leads, and switch it on when you feel like the full surround experience. Use 4 of the 100R modules to drive your fronts, or the 60P to drive the HF as you can daisy-chain through the older F3 amp but not the 100R modules, and the AV32R only has one set of main outputs (always annoyed me that little omission).

Hope this helps - if I'm wrong about the 100x7R only having one power supply, please feel free to shoot me of course.... :D

3. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, the 100x5R is superior to the 700:7r, being a monobloc design and offering better s/n and less channel cross talk. In addition it nicely integrates via the TAGtronic Bus.

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys, I've ordered an AV32R and a 100x5R from HiFiBitz - at the price they're going for it was difficult to resist. Now the 4 week wait for delivery...

Cheers

Simon