1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering an LG Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mcav, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi there. I am new to these forums so please be kind when replying to questions that may have been asked already.

I live in the UK, and I am considering buying a 42" Plasma Screen, and will be making a purchase quite soon. I have been reading various reviews and a few screens seem to be getting more positive noises than others. I have an LG 32" CRT 100Hz TV right now and it is very good, in particular with Sky+ and DVD.

I have noticed 3 LG Plasmas. The RZ42PX11, the RZ42PX12 and the MZ42PZ44.

The RZ ones are on the LG website, but the MZ model is not. is this because it is an older model?

Also, out of the 2 RZ models, the PX12 seems to be HDTV ready, so would be a better long term purchase. I can find the PX11 for around £1500 but I cannot find anywhere that sells the PX12. Has anyone else found any vendors which sell this model?

One thing in particular that I also noticed is that the PX11 has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 and the PX12 has a contrast ratio of 1000:1. Am I right in saying that 3000:1 is a better contrast ratio than 1000:1?

Finally, my budget is going to be from 1500-2500 absolute maximum. I want to connect my DVD player, Sky+ and PS2 to my plasma, and potentially my PC. Can anyone recommend a screen which fits this requirement.

Thanks in advance.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you've got up to £2500 to spend then you should have a good look at the Panasonic 7 series which is particular favourite on these forums and it's likely to give a much better picture than the LG.

Do a search on the forums the the Panny, there are a number of threads.

HTH

John

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, the MZ is an older model.

Higher contrast is better, but between the 11 and 12, it won't make too much difference in real world scenarios.

The PX11 does accept HDTV signals, it just has to downscale them to fit the resolution of the screen. That isn't as bad as it may sound - you do still get quite a benefit from the high resolution signals, even on a standard resolution panel.

Obviously you first and foremost have to get something that you are happy with, but try to avoid paying extra just for something that might be important in two or three years time.

The Panasonics are definitely worth considering, but even with the cheap prices quoted for the PWD6, it costs a fair amount more than the LG to have a working setup (various extras that you need to add).

Other than that, you might want to look at the Hitachi 42PD5300. Not a particularly popular choice round here, but you might find it suits you.

4. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am in the same boat - alot of choice but also alot of differance out there when dealing with performance /value for money.

I agree with John and Graham the pw6 are good but IMHO I have viewed an Hitachi Platara p425300 today (my mates) and it blew me away honestly so JAW DROPPING!! great pictures .

I think in my opinion the Hitatchi looks better with good DVD,But other people on these forums will prob disagree (something to do with "stay away from retailor friendly screens"and not buying these things in seperates I think certainly is a theme running through this forum - rightly or wrongly!!) - it is all subjective to your perception of what you are looking at, and what you want the screen to do for you I guess.

Also all the independant review mags out there rate the Hitachi Platara 42P5300 as being best value for money/good quality, they can't all be wrong surely???!!- but other people will tell you that the testers from these review mags rate the more"customer friendly" screens because they are more easily set up and they don't need to mess around with extra boards and stuff like the PW6/7'S - But surely is'nt that what the majority of the buying public want to do???? I certainly don't want bits all over the place. I might be sounding cynical here - I apoligise for that.

There is a definate anti Hitachi theme running through this forum for some reason , alot of memebers have spoken privatley with me and we agree, not sure if its the smaller retailers trying to push the old pannys through to the front as they get good deals on them ?????!!!!!, but they cannot get the better deals like JL can on the Viera and the Hitachi ?? Dunno open for debate Isuppose - It's just my opinion.

Anyway check out a review on the Hitachi here:-www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4608

Should get some good debate going here now!!!!

Yorkie

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone will show some sort of bias I guess, but I think most people on these forums have genuine convictions. At the end of the day, even a "cheap" plasma is a lot of money, so it's YOU who has to make the decision by watching all the plasmas you're interested in and factoring in the convenience and cost implications.
    I did the above and (to me) nearly all plasmas look good or great showing a DVD (but of course there are differences) but they vary hugely with other materials - I thought Hitachi looked great with DVD but terrible on Sky.
    I ended up getting a PW6, and therefore I am biased in that direction - but I like to think it was because I looked at a lot of different screens.

Incidentally, I know it's stating the obvious, but because plasmas are big and you've paid a lot of money you will almost certainly be looking (and see) every imperfection!....I'm trying to stop myself...

Simon

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The Hitachi does a good job with Sky via RGB scart. The higher bit rate channels look excellent and it does quite a good job with most of the lower bit rate ones as well.

7. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hi i had my lg delivered on monday at first i was not very happy with it
    the solarisaion was very bad but it has got MUCH MUCH BETTER and does need tweeking to get the best out of it i am now happy and when i put dvd on its great
    i would go for the hitachi over the pan, i just like it more (when working for a local dealer they had hitachi pan pioneer marantz and yamaha they are all good but i did like the hitachi and pionner most)

but the lg is very good value

8. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thank you for all the replies so far. I feel welcomed to the forum.

It is really fantastic to see a forum where people are so helpfull and informative.

I currently have an LG 32" 100Hz Flattron and usign RGB scart for Sky+/DVD gives excellent results. This is why I was interested in LG int eh 1st place. It did need settings altered to begin with also to make the image look right, but then I'd be worried if you didn't have to tweak your settings on a screen.

I'm going to be viewing some plasmas over the weekend. Problem is I have no idea what retailers are demo-ing the LG RX11 or 12....

For what it is worth, I will report my findings here.

9. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i do know that most dixons currys comet and john lewis have the lg rx11 just take a few dvds and ask how its set up and if you can have a look with a dvd you know, best to make it a PG rated disc they won't like it if its your fav slasher movie

on the lg rx11 has only 1 RGB scart (inner most) and most will have it set up through this althrough it may not be set up for rgb and not wired up for component

10. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the help. Will have a lookg round town at the weekend.

Good point about making sure they have the RGB scart used and that the screen is set up to have the socket set to RGB. Will take a run of the mill DVD.

One thing I would imagine is a bad idea is taking something like monsters inc or finding nemo as they will look good on anything.

11. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    yes take live action cgi look great any way
    but i haven't watched any yet just in the middle of true lies ntsc prog scan looks very good

12. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £2500 to spend?

Get a 42" Viera from JL! Watford had them earlier today for £2499 inc a free cabinet stand, DMR-E55 and 5 year guarantee. If you reserve one at Watford at that price your nearest JL is pretty much obliged to match it - and give you a free delivery:clap::clap:

I had a 36" Panasonic PD30 previously, but the Viera is a definite improvement - especially without those luvverly "dirty marks" :smashin:

13. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can spend up to £2500 but I also don't want to throw money at a product if I can buy smart.

The Viera, excuse my ignorance. Is that the Panasonic?

Also is it a 7 series or something completely different.

Hmm maybe I should look for myself and come back :)

14. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, the Viera certainly isn't 'buying smart' if you don't need built-in speakers, or a Freeview tuner.

15. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    personally i think it is just for the look of the damn thing,i already had the sky + the dvd palyer and speakers etc,but the viera had me hooked

16. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm pleased that you are happy with your choice, but you can't call an emotional decision based on the appearance of something as 'buying smart'.

On the basis of what has been posted, he could have the same glass with fewer features that aren't needed, and more features that are / might, for less money.

17. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed. The Viera has WAF to die for :)

18. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well had a look at a couple of plasmas today, but unfortunately, it was not much help.

Yes I think the Viera range is pretty much out of the window. I do not require a freeview tuner, or built in speakers.

The Panasonic Shop in dundee had a PW6 series 42" plasma screen running from an RF feed and it looked as good as an RF signal could possibly be.

Then Hydro had the LG RX11 in their shop window running a terrible demo DVD using composite connections.

So neither of them realy set a decent benchmark. More importantly, both stores were grossly overpriced (no surprise there)

But I did leave with some questions unanswered.

The guy at the store said that you need to buy various I/O boards for the Panasonic 41PW7. Does this mean I have to buy a board for each input i.e.? 1 board per scart/component/dvi connection?

The search continues.

*mumbles something about ignorant retail sales people*

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The guy in the store said.........
    The guy in the store works on minimun wage and probably has the same level
    of competance/IQ/knowledge as a checkout girl, road sweeper, dock worker, etc.
    (I'm sure they are all nice and worthwhile people, but I wouldn't want their advice)

Would you respect the opinion of the others i mentioned when spending 2 grand,
    I think not. There is a very good reason why these people are paid minimum wage.
    If they knew anything about anything, they wouldn't be working for minimum wage, now would they.

Their training consists mainly of
    1 Approach customer with a smile and say good morning how can I help you
    2 Always steer the customer towards the item with the biggest markup
    3 Make sure you sell them the extended warrenty/insurance
    4 Don't forget to sell them the "Monster" cables

Many salesman get "1" wrong, maybe they should put that nearer the end of their training!

20. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Composite? Yuk!

You should really try to find a better demonstration of both screens.

Yes, that's true (also true of the older PWD6). But, you don't have to buy connection boards that you don't want, and you may have other alternatives - ie. 1 SCART board + Quintro rather then 3 SCART boards.

21. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Hitachi 42pd5300 for a look, I think I have settled on this , not bought yet though, trying to find best deal . They get good indepandent reviews from all the mags, seen one today excellent picture nicer than the viera in mine and missus opinion,and excellent 1024 x 1024 resolution so very PC friendley they come with a seperate media box for met hat is good as all my connections from various media just plug into this , future proofed also , then you only need one cable up through your wall (if wall mounted).

I will let you know how I get on if your still in the market for a plasma.

Yorkie

22. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not really true - the PC's idea of a pixel doesn't match that of the Hitachi - so you either end up with the image displayed in the wrong aspect ratio, or scaling of the image to fit the display.

23. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry poor info there, well said Graham , Graham in your opinion then would a lower res screen be a better buy than the 1024 x 1024 hitachi?

I have seen my mates Hitachi with PC on and it looks fantastic, don't know the electonics/AV technology behind how the screen does it, but from a layman the picture was great , Just telling it how I saw it!!

Totally confused now!!!!! lol

Yorkie

24. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just looking at the Panasonic PW7.

Looks like the resolution is 852*480. Seems like everyone is going on about higher resolutions than this.

I'm guessing that the pixel resolution of plasma's is not as important as on a monitor, but can anybody shed any light on this?

The 42" LG RX12 seems to have a higher resoltution than the RX11 - is this correct?

Still not closer to a decision.

Thanks for the continues help