Considering A11XV or new 4308

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robfitzp, May 5, 2007.

1. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As title says I am considering an A11XV or the new 4308 when it comes out.

Will be using for Sky/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Ray only - have a dedicated pre/power for stereo through which the front channels will be routed, so only care about movie performance. Currently using an Arcam AV8 with a Rotel RB993 for centre/rear amp duties and have not used any Denon gear since a 3801 in 2000. Open minded re retaining RB993 and just using Denon as processor.

Does anyone have any direct experience of the AV8 in comparison to an A11XV and also of how the A11XV compares to the current 4306?

If not retaining the RB993, is it possible to use the surround back channels to biamp the surrounds and to reassign one of the front amp channels to the centre to bi-amp? Used to do this with a Pioneer AX10 as it had pre-out and main-in for the front two channels.

Cheers
    Rob

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Hi Rob

The A11XV is a better performer than the 4306, although, if you want scaling and HDMI 1080p switching you need to be looking at the upgraded A11XVA rather than the A11XV.

Can't comment on comparisons to the AV8 as I've not heard one.

With regards to assigning power amps you can assign the Surround Back amps to the front channels. You can't do what you're asking. If you want to be able to assign power amp channels where you want then you'll need to move up the Denon range to the A1XV(A).

3. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Jase.

The A1 will never fit on the rack.....

Any idea when there is an '08' replacement for the A11 coming out?

Cheers
    Rob

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob - I have owned a few processors Lexcion/Meridian and heard the AV8 but now run with an 11XVA and will say it's processing power is atleast on par with them, but with the added bonus of the great Audyssey MultiEQXT which has worked a treat in my room !

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    There was a glimpse of a 5308 which looks like it's a model in-between the 4806 (A11XV) & 5805 (A1XV). Pic here:-

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_1/show-report-ces-2007-page-49.html

I'd guess they'll announce something properly at the Denon Summer Conference in the USA in June/July.

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks both.

Recruit - in terms of sound quality - not just processing - how do you think they compare? The brand snob in me thinks I will be losing the fluid quality that comes with the arcam but that is based on experience of the 3801 (which is a long time ago) and my sensible side says that the denon should more than make up for that with the room correction and by taking full advantage of LPCM on bluray and TrueHD on HDDVD - at present I am using optical from my PS3 and coax from XE1 due to the bass management issues on the analogue outputs of the XE1.

Cheers
    Rob

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as Home Cinema goes i do not miss haveing seperates as most of the High End Intergrated AV amps sound as good if not better than some of high end processors out there, also it would depend on what kit you are partnering them with as my M&K's are well suited to AV amps but not sure about mixing high end HiFi speakers with it, seperate preamps would probably do a better job than the Denons but i don't think they will be far off.

Also the simplicity of connecting the HDMI with both my HD-DVD and PS3 is a blessing and saves connections, the quality is also very good on some discs but some are better than others.

EDIT : I just wanted to add that if you have a Denon DVD Player that has Denon Link 3, and like me with quite a few DVD-A or SACD discs then it really does get the best out of both formats.

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks again. Speakers will be Wilson Benesch Curves/Centre/Arcs, fronts will go through Music First Passive Pre & Chord 1200c that I use for my two channel listening.

I am warming to this idea......and my wife will go for anything that involves fewer boxes:D

Cheers
    Rob

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ummm Wilson Benesch what lovely speakers they make :smashin:

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Right, have advertised my AV8 in the classified section with a view to getting one of these.

Can someone confirm my understanding that the A11 will boost the .1/LFE channel received over HDMI from HDDVD/PS3 by 10db automatically and that when I then set the amp up in 5.0 it is not going to matter that I don't have a subwoofer, i.e. that the bass will just go to main speakers as it does for normal DD/DTS received over coax?

Cheers
    Rob

11. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    All the Denons with HDMI work correctly with regards to LFE etc so no worries there. The bass management system will also work correctly for a 5.0 system. :)