Considering a Wii U

gingerone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I may have the option of getting a Wii U from my wife as a Christmas present so I have been reading up on here but I have some questions.

First and foremost, should I get a Wii U? I already own a ps4 but I've always been a massive fan of Nintendo, I'm concerned about the lack of games but with Mario kart and Mario 3d I should be satisfied. I also love the idea of the older Nintendo games from the eshop.

Secondly, I would most likely do most of the gaming via the gamepad, do most games work via the gamepad? And do all of the virtual console games work via the gamepad?

Are there any other accessories such as the pro controller that really are a must-have from the start? As I will need to factor those in to the price.

Finally, do you think the current asking price is good value?

If you are interested in nintendo then go for it, alot of us here still have our weekly Mario Kart 8 session. There are alot of exclusives out for the console which I'm sure quite a few would take your fancy, Pretty much every Wii U game can be used on the game pad, I'm not sure about VCG working via the game pad. I think vast majority on here have the pro controller, it is what I mainly use for playing as I find it more comfy for longer sessions.

Have a look on hukd you can get the premium console with a few games for about £200,im sure better deals will come up.

Thanks foster will check that out, need to check about the virtual console games though, I'm retro nut.
How does Mario kart rate compared to the rest of the series?

Probably the best so far, superb fun and plenty of replay ability online and offline.

That's good to hear, I've pumped soo many hours into Mario kart over the years, I absolutely love it

Last edited:
Thanks foster will check that out, need to check about the virtual console games though, I'm retro nut.
How does Mario kart rate compared to the rest of the series?

I would agree with Foster regarding MarioKart, second perhaps only to the original SNES release, but that probably simply has way too many fond memories to be knocked off its perch.

It is worth getting a WiiU I think, my PS4 is strongly my main console, but MarioKart has so much replay value and there are a few gems such as Mario 3D Worlds, ZombiU etc. to justify it also. Pro controller is an essential IMO, that's probably the main extra I'd look into buying.

Hi guys,

First and foremost, should I get a Wii U? QUOTE]

If you like Nintendo then yes. I know there are a lot of naysayers out there that say it is a rubbish console but most of the people saying that haven't played on one.

It is my main console I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One due to the fact I don't have a lot of time to play games.

It has a brilliant Library of games already with gems such as ZombiU, Windwaker HD, Mario kart 8, Smash bros and Bayonetta 2. It really is a great time to get one as you can pick these games up now relatively cheap. And if you like retro you can't go wrong with the virtual console games. Plus with Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda around the corner there are some awesome gaming moments coming!

Is it the most powerful console? No, but what it does offer is polished games that are so much fun to play and there are some really neat touches with the Wii U like playing games on the gamepad while the wife is watching corrie! ;)

Last edited:

To be honest the ability to play games whilst the wife is watching tv is the biggest draw for me. The fact that those games are Nintendo games is an awesome bonus :)

To be honest the ability to play games whilst the wife is watching tv is the biggest draw for me. The fact that those games are Nintendo games is an awesome bonus :)

And it works quite well too. Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, all possible off screen etc.

Some Virtual Console games can be played on the gamepad, like Super Mario World and F Zero (I name those as I was playing them Sunday night whilst the wife watched Strictly !!

Definitely worth it.

Got say that it's probably worth getting just for "MK8" alone, it really is that good a game.

Personally, I never use the Gamepad as a controller as I find it too heavy and bulky, but resting it on your lap using the analogue sticks would probably be fine. Has quite good battery life, but it's probably worth investing in the official higher capacity battery at some point as it does extend the battery life between charges quite noticeably.

And yes, another thumbs up for the Pro controller. Again, worth going official if only for the astonishing battery life - 80 hours between charges! And don't forget to get a steering wheel for "MK8" - you don't necessarily need one and may prefer a different control method, but you'll probably find yourself "steering" your controller anyway so why not use the wheel?!

As with the N64, GameCube & Wii before it, I already have a library of 20-30 exclusive 'keepers' for the Wii U. If no other games come out for it, I'm more than happy with the titles I already own on it, for it to have been a worthwhile console (much like N64 & GameCube before it).

Incidentally if u skipped the Wii last gen, pick up Mario Galaxy 1&2 for about £15 each. Easily the pinnacle of 3D Mario games.

Thanks guys, Mario kart is the main reason I'm looking to get it to be honest, I've always loved them and this one looks awesome

Thanks guys, Mario kart is the main reason I'm looking to get it to be honest, I've always loved them and this one looks awesome
If you've loved some of the turds less refined Mario Karts that have been released recently, then you're in for a treat as Mario Kart 8 is genuinely the best one since the Snes original.

Make sure your wife doesn't 'forget' ;) to pick up some eshop credit for you to download the 2 dlc packs for MK8. I don't usually go for dlc, but you do get a lot for your money here :thumbsup:

If you've loved some of the turds less refined Mario Karts that have been released recently, then you're in for a treat as Mario Kart 8 is genuinely the best one since the Snes original.

Make sure your wife doesn't 'forget' ;) to pick up some eshop credit for you to download the 2 dlc packs for MK8. I don't usually go for dlc, but you do get a lot for your money here :thumbsup:

How much are the dlc's ?

I have all the current consoles plus a whole lot of oldies including the N64 PS1 etc. The only one we play together with my wife is the U . It rarely gets switched on but when it does it really is very enjoyable for some casual fun. Its not for the serious gamer though.Wwe play Mario the most and is an absolute blast, mind you we play Mario more often on the 30 year old NES:) Get the U its really fun.

I tend not to play games on the Gamepad unless you have to (ZombiU etc) but for the sheer convenience of playing Mario Kart whilst the wife is watching NCIS or something its great. Plus you can have headphones if you want the sound as well.

And then some of the sleeper games to try out, like Bayonetta (1&2), Wonderful 101, Yoshis Woolly World. Then you can go nuts on Smash Bros (especially if you want to buy all the DLC) or you can go retro and get Ghost Squad the shooty game for Wii (guess what I played last night and wondered WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE HD WII U SHOOTY GAMES EH PEOPLE????) or even better, sweary House of the Dead !

WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE HD WII U SHOOTY GAMES EH PEOPLE????) or even better, sweary House of the Dead !

ZombiU sniper mode is awesome, one of the best uses of the gamepad I have seen so far.

Missed a trick here with games like Sniper Elite (Although you can get V2 on Wii U and the original on Wii) and on rails shooters, would be awesome to use gamepad as if you were looking down the sights!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Resident Evil on the U, using the controller map was great.

Not played Resi Evil on the Wii U. Played the Wii version with the clicker to aim which I really enjoyed.

Forgot about sniper mode in ZombiU. I am still amazed that Pokemon Snap Ultra HD wasnt done for the Wii U, seemed like an obvious choice !

How much are the dlc's ?

There are currently two packs of 8 tracks each = 16 extra tracks. They cost £7 each or both for £11, which is much better value.

With the standard game of 32 tracks plus the DLC of 16 = 48 tracks and there's loads to do offline with four different cc's to unlock, plus the Time Trial.

And online is insane and brutal - just check out the Thread on here to see how the AVF team get on!

I got mine from GAME for £229.99 with Mario kart and Splatoon. Just looking for a cheap Mario Maker now!

There are currently two packs of 8 tracks each = 16 extra tracks. They cost £7 each or both for £11, which is much better value.

With the standard game of 32 tracks plus the DLC of 16 = 48 tracks and there's loads to do offline with four different cc's to unlock, plus the Time Trial.

And online is insane and brutal - just check out the Thread on here to see how the AVF team get on!
Also just to add you can get eshop credit a bit cheaper from places like cdkeys so you can end up paying a bit less than £7 or £11 if you buy credit instead of using your credit card directly on eshop.

Well looks like Santa (the wife) is definitely bringing me a Wii U, I'm super excited, it's been so long since I've really played quality Nintendo games and it looks like there is more than enough quality games to keep me occupied.
Starting off with Mario kart 8 but can see my bank account taking a battering on the virtual console.
The idea of having the new Nintendo greats and all my old favourite games such as Mario 64 and super Mario world in one place is too much of a draw to resist.
I will be jumping online with Mario kart as soon as I get it.
Can't wait.

I will be jumping online with Mario kart as soon as I get it.
Can't wait.

Awesome, well done pal, your wife will regret it mate when she doesn't see you ever again. ;)

My wife just did the big mistake of getting me Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yoshi Woolly World for my birthday. I think she might be leaving me ha ha :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom