1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a replacement Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevegreen, Jun 16, 2003.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Hi folks.

Having been reading avidly about the actual difference that a decent sub could make to a system i have started feeling a warm sensation in my pocket (where i keep my cash )

I currently have a Mission 70ASE sub which is bundled with the Cinema 6 Pack system and was thinking that maybe a VX 10 would go quite nicely but I have a couple of questions:

1. My Mission has a frequency response of 36-180Hz. Would i notice a great deal of difference with a VX 10 whose response is 36-120Hz?

2. What kind of price would I be able to get for my Mission sub?

3. Are there any other subs in a similar price range that compare well and would be worth looking at?

Size is an issue as well as I don't have a great deal of room available :(

I'm just feeling things out at the moment so any help would be appreciated.

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1. I imagine the VX-10 would be quite an improvement on your current sub. The driver is larger (10" vs 8"), the cabinet larger and those frequency specs you quote are probably taken in anechoic conditions for the Velodyne and semi-anechoic for the Mission. This suggests the real-world performance difference between the two will be more pronounced. I imagine the VX-10 goes lower and louder with less distortion than the Mission. However, I'd consider holding onto your cash until you can afford something like the CHT-10 as this would offer a far more worthwhile improvement.

2. How old is it? £120 maybe.

3. Hmm... a s/h Q100E would be worth a look, as would the current BK Electronics "Bargain Corner" sub, which at £279 I'd take over the CHT-10 if space is a concern.

MuFu.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If space is at a premium your best bet would probably be the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 which has an rrp of £300. This has never received less than five stars from whichever magazine has reviewed it and should be top of your demo list if you are interested in music as well as movies.

Magazine reviews are available on their website here. Another worth considering is the BK Electronics sub that Mufu mentioned and whilst the name may not be familiar, the company has a long pedigree in the design and manufacture of subwoofers.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have demo'd the Pro 50 and wouldn't consider it or it's more powerful brother the Ref 100 for a second compared with the BKE sub (although I was quite impressed with the former's performance in a small room).

The trade-off in terms of performance is simply not worth the slightly more compact form factor. Plus, they're more expensive (over £100 more in the case of the Ref 100, once you include a high-level lead).

MuFu.

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im using the vx 10 with mission 773,e s, and theyre all blend in brilliantly. i have the cherry version, but the silver version looks just as nice. i have all the bass going through the sub, freeing up things on the missions. an excellent sub, highly reccommended.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    chez is selling his M&K K9 for £350 in the classified section. I would be seriously interested in that.

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I sold my M70ASE for £120 on Ebay, I then bot an M70AS but just changed to an SVS 25-31 PCi. The SVS makes the Missions look silly. Worth a look here
    The SVS cylinders are very good at saving floor space, they are just taller than the average sub.