1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Plasma

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pauld, Dec 19, 2001.

1. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a rear projection T.V , but I am now considering buying a plasma. My current T.V is a Panasonic 47" and would like to hear anyones recommendations on plasma. I only want to spend around £5,000.00.

Also is it worth waiting say 6 months so see if prices come down a fraction more??

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    FWIW, my best guess is that prices of flat panel devices will continue to fall markedly. I suspect that there is a massive amount of latent demand for flat panels out there, stifled only by price, at the moment. My best guess is that they will continue to get cheaper and better until, in about three years, they are easily comparable to CRT dinosaurs, and command a price premium of only around 25-50%. By then, several manufacturers will cease making CRTs. AFAIK, Sharp and Hitachi have both already stated such an intention.

Buying technology is always difficult. There is always going to be something better and/or cheaper just around the corner. You have a three-way balancing act to perform - price, performance/features, your own patience. The only thing you can do is wait for this equation to come into balance, and off you go. You must do so, however, on the basis that it is your patience that drives it, and must acknowledge to yourself that you can't regret not waiting a little longer.

3. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I'm in the same situation. I'm thinking of buying a Plasma and have narrowed the choice to The Fujitsu PDS4222 or NEC 42MP2. I'd like to include the Panasonic 42WD4, but because I am buying it through work, I am limited to whatever our distributors sell - and Panasonic aren't among them.
    The Fujitsu does seem to be a very good display. It uses their new ALiS technology and I've only found very favourable reviews on it so far. I think it gives very little to the Panasonic and is also cheaper.

FACT - Plasma prices will continue to fall next year. I'm sure the £3000 42" Plasma isn't far off, but you must remember that these cheaper units will be using old technology.
    Plasma is already in its third/fourth generation of development, and it makes sense for the manufacturers to keep prices high for the latest models and push out the older ones to OEM suppliers in the same way that INTEL "Shunts" its CPU's down a price level when a new/faster model appears.
    Because Plasma has advanced so quickly, I think the differance between a cheap previous generation model from manufacturers like Daewoo and an up-to-date model from the likes of Fujitsu/Panasonic will be quiet obviouse.
    For once, I do think it is worth spending more and buying the best you can afford.

4. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you have the money then buy one! You could wait forever for prices to stabilise. Shop around, there are deals to be had.

Neil

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at all the large screen TVs in dixon$ and as they were playing the same signal (albeit noisy) it was easy to compare them.

The thing that struck me is how much the Plasma displays have improved over the early ones. They had two 42inch models, the Philips and the Panasonic (not sure what the model numbers were).

Both displays were same in terms of brightness, contrast & color fidelity. The main difference was sharpness. The pana was razer sharp where as the philips was annoyingly soft. Infact the Pana had a display exactly like the best 36inch crts. Even close you could not see pixels.

The pana plasma was easily the best display in the shop although Id still want to see it playing a noise free source.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    I know there are several issues with space and convenience, but if I had £5000 to spend, I would get a used Barco CRT - an 808 plus screen every time over a plasma. The picture size and quality would blow the plasma out of the water.
    I know there may be other considerations, but perhaps an idea for you to mull over.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Prices will drop a bit more I think. However, you can get a D4 Pana for around your budget and it's great for a 42" Plasma.

I would say this though. Plasma's are thin...5-10cm's. TV's are usually much much deeper say 80cm? So you'll find that the plasma is likely to be sitting much further away from you than your TV screen was. Suddenly 42" doesn't seem that big from where I'm sitting. So...how about 50" hahaha

Gordon

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isnt the D4 model for commercial use though?Its not optimised for Home Cinema the way the W4 is,Which you can get for less than the £5,000 you want to spend anyway...:devil:

9. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    >Its not optimised for Home Cinema the way the W4 is

You mean the silver case optimisation? I think you'll find they have the same technical specification.

Neil

10. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, I admit this size issue had already crossed my mind and I have looked at the 50" models. I think I could get a good one for around £7000.00. Also Spectre had a good point regarding the projector and I have also considered this in the past, but as I use my main lounge for my home cinema, it would involve putting in a retractable electric screen and I dont know how feasible this would be. By the way Spectre, you must have a very understanding wife with regard to "The Picture House", but it does look exceptional!!! My wife would kill me with all that building work!! :eek:

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    The great thing about a retractable screen (it doesn't have to be electric) is that it is retractable!

In other words, unlike a large TV (whatever the technology), it is not visible when it isn't in use.

My wife was against my installing a projector. However, when, despite her protests, I did eventually get around to selling my huge 37" black box and replacing it with a retractable screen, plus a much smaller grey/white box screwed to the ceiling, plus a much, much smaller TV her comment was........

I like it. I've got my lounge back. Apart from the thing screwed to the ceiling, it looks more like a "normal" lounge.

And, actually, she DOES enjoy watching movies on a large screen.

(The 24" TV is used for news, documentary, TV shows etc; the PJ is used almost exclusively for DVD movies).

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    PaulD,
    Plasma prices will continue to fall. That is the nature of the electronics market. But don't forget that there will always be several levels of product - low cost entry level stuff, and then higher priced high performance products. That is also the nature of the electronics market.

Two years ago, a top performance 42" plasma screen cost anything up to £10K. I lost count of the number of people who said "when the price halves, I'll buy one..." Well, it has. Today you can have better performance for half the price, and yet I still hear the same thing about prices. I guess that's human nature.

When plasma becomes a commodity product (like TVs) you can bet your bottom dollar that there'll be something else coming to market to eclipse it. The moral of the story..."the grass will always be greener on the other side of the valley"

If you are serious about buying a plasma screen, then the best you can do is make an informed choice based on the products you have today. Buy the best you can afford and start enjoying your movies.:cool:

Good luck

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Im using the Pioneer 503hde plasma with the Tosh 900e and I can honestly say the picture is absolutely stunning, even anaolgue tv is handled well. This is not a biased view. If it looked sh*te I would say so then cry!

The image is bright, clean, crisp and sharp (with prog scan on and off). This of course is the 50" model, but Pioneer I am led to beleive are releasing the 42" version (same spec) in Feb. around the 5K mark.

I previously had the Sony 36" FS70 crt tv, which was very good but suffered geometry problems, The Pioneer pic is better, especially considering the bigger size. I'll be interested to see the new Loewe 40"er!

The price since I bought it a couple of months ago has dropped already or at least I've seen it cheaper on other sites. I compromised by paying a little more but using a firm I trust in case things did go wrong. Not yet (fingers crossed)!

I need not say that natually a dvd source really makes the screen shine.........doh I just did!
    I travelled up and down the country looking at different screens at the time and it took time patience and a little money to finally reach a decision, and I love it.

The Panny 42" 4B is a cracker and so is the Fuj 42" 21/22 (all sub £5k now). The Daewoo is diabolical (colour banding, poor imaging, the lot) also leave the Fuj 08,09,13,14 and 4229 (no ALIS).

But if your serious you MUST view in your own time before you buy, this is a real commitment and you dont wanna be lumbered with a bad screen now do you.

Go to Harrods in London to view in their elecrtical dept. (3rd floor) they have the biggest selection on view in any one building in the UK, about 15 plasma screens all playing dvd's at the same time, its like an Aladdins cave.

DON'T settle for a cheaper/inferior screen because it's all you can currently afford, hold fire until you can buy something you really want/will be happy with. If your sat in front on a poor quality picture it will bug you like hell and your wanna up-grade within a week.

Good luck - Hope this helps a bit. ;)

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't profess to know much at all about Plasma screens, but I have taken a good look at the Panasonic 42PW4B.... each time I happen to pass the shop.

To be perfectly honest, I found the first Plasma's interesting, but wasn't so impressed with their performance. The Panny though looks remarkable and has me willing to sell my granny to buy it !

If my granny was worth 5k..I'd be down to Empire Direct to buy one now !

Cheers
    Daz

15. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Neon

Neon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'll wait for LEP displays.

17. priesh

priesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi - Just before you decide to go for a plasma let me give you a warning which many people gave me when i asked about plasma screens:

I wanted to get the panasonic 42", and was just about to when i got about 20 replies in some forum about a bad fact about plasmas:

' Plasma screens lose about 20% contrast for every year they are used '

This is very bad, and obviously i wanted more info so i asked some people who know a lot about plasmas and was told that even though the manufacturers say that it would last 10 years, it is more likely that they have a lifespan of 5-6 years, which i dont think is long enough considering the huge price for one.

Also, a new technology is coming out in a few years called ThinCRT, which gives you all the best things of a CRT (i.e. great quality, all viewing angles etc), but with a depth lower than a plasma. This i have heard is done by have many small electron guns for areas of the screen instead of one huge one, but i'm not totally sure of the technology - anyway check it out at:
    http://www.candescent.com/Candescent/showcase.htm

After this i decided that i wasnt going for a plasma, and am istead gonna try and get that Loewe 40" t.v.

If you want to go ahead and buy a plasma, it's up to you - i just thought you may want to see some interesting facts.

Priesh

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Wow . . . now that really IS a home cinema . . . literally. Amazing. Wonder if he also supplies the Butterkist popcorn?

:)

Carol