Question Considering a new Oled Tv

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Mulder89, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mulder89

Mulder89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! It’s my first post here! I have been considering buying a new tv for a little while now and was wondering if I could ask for some insight on what would work for me. I currently own a 50 inch Panasonic CX802b which has of course 4k and supports HDR (after an update). I mainly watch movies on itunes/netflix and play a lot of games on my ps4 pro. I am quite taken with OLED and have been searching for a model that would work for me. I do not own a sound system neither would i particularly want to invest in one for now. That being said i narrowed down the search to the Sony AF9 and the LGE8 both of which have decent sound from what i’ve read due to Acoustic Surface for the sony and the soundbar (?) on the LG. I would have settled for the AF8 which is significantly cheaper than the af9 however apparently this suffers from dimming issues when there are static images on screen (could be an issue for games with hub etc). I know input lag is good on the af9 however i do not play first person shooters, mostly story driven games like Uncharted and only offline so i am no competitive gamer. Any owners of the Af8 know if the dimming issue has been solved or if this is also present on the Af9?

Finally.. am i silly in purchasing one of the above Oled Tvs when i have a Panasonic 4k tv already?

Thanks!

2. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If you're looking for good sound, you might want to also consider the Panasonic FZ952. It comes with a pretty decent built-in soundbar and is one of the best OLEDs in terms of picture quality (especially out of the box).

3. Mulder89

Mulder89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow I didn’t even read into that one. It looks like a great set!

4. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
  5. c__w

c__w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Didn't notice any dimming issues on my af8. The acoustic sound was very disappointing though. To me it sounded mono-like, harsh. Normal tv shows sound ridiculous on it (like a really cheap tv). Went loud though with decent sub bass.

The Panasonic 952 can look a bit odd with the sound bar under it; it sounds better than the af8, great on films but falls into the usual sound bar trap of sounding not quite right for general tv with slightly muffled speech. At least as it's a proprietary sound bar you don't have to suffer any connection or lip sync issues.

The Sony is the better tv IMO. The af9's sound is changed with a centre speaker but from a limited test it has the same tonal issues the af8 has; that is just pure midrange and clips higher frequencies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    If your a gamer it may be wise to hold out for some of the 2019 models as some of them have Hdmi 2.1.

7. Mulder89

Mulder89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think the Philips 903 looks very nice and Ambilight is certainly an added bonus. Didn’t think the sound with Acoustic Surface would be disappointing! I saw the 2019 LG modes have HDMI 2.1. No word on the sony models...