• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Considering a new 32" TV 1080P a possibility

nokiauk

I have been reading various reviews here and narrowed the choice to either the Sony 32W4000 or Panasonic TX32LZD80.

Sony I can get for £692 with 5 yr warranty
Panasonic is £599 also with 5 yr warranty

Anyone any preference on the above, will be used for PS3 and SKY HD.

Also my viewing distance is approx 5-6ft so is spending money on a 1080P set worth it?

If not then I will look at the Sony 32V4000 or Panasonic 32LXD80.

Both can be had for about £400-450 saving about £250-£300.

audiphile76

Also my viewing distance is approx 5-6ft so is spending money on a 1080P set worth it?

If not then I will look at the Sony 32V4000 or Panasonic 32LXD80.

I would not go for a 1080p set for this small a size and this big viewing distance, its not worth the investment without substantial returns. I would put preference order as 32V4500 > 32V4000 > 32LXD80 instead

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
yes, the V4500 is harder to find.

Judging by your needs/uses, a 720p TV will do just fine. So get the 32V4000.

warbzo

Standard Member
I to would recommend the V4500. They have it at PIXmania for £635 Inc. VAT (cheapest I could find), but it doesn't come with a free 5 year warranty. They also have the V4000 at the cheapest price aswell, click here.

The difference between the two is that the V4500 can accept 1080p, but it just downscales to it's native resolution 720p. It also has 24p input. Where as the V4000 doesn't have 24p input and doesn't accept 1080p. The V4500 also uses the Bravia Engine 2 as opposed to the V4000s Bravia Engine.

Hope that helps.

nokiauk

still researching, as 1080P is probably a non issue at 32" thing about just a normal HD ready set.

Now one issue to clear up is the 24fps issue. I do watch blu-rays via PS3 so how important is this?

Price also an issue, can source the W4000 for £645, the V4000 is £370 but the 4500 (24fps) cheapest I can find this is £599.

So at this price point the W4000 is better for only £46 more, if the 24fps is a non issue then I'll prob plump for the V4000.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Get the W4000, better set than the V

nokiauk

I appreciate it's better but cost is an issue, If 24fps isn't an issue, and I don't reckon 1080P is worth it either then I can save £250.

Obviously at the above prices the W4000 wins over the V4500.

I do watch a few blu-rays so need to consider the 24fps issue now.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Here's a simple test you can carry out right now.

1. Download an ED or HD video from a site such as Apple Trailers or Microsoft WMV-HD Showcase
  2. Set your PC monitor to 60Hz
  3. Play the video and focus on the moving segments

If you can detect any inconstancies/unevenness in motion and can tolerate it, get the V4000. Otherwise, get the W4000.

PS: Make sure the downloaded video is 24p (23.98).

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
that doesn't sound right

stuttering is to due to the video codec, and blurring may be caused by scaling or the response time.

This is a much better idea

Download this file. Don't worry, it's not a virus and absolutely no installation is required. It's in fact a standalone program by Philips Research.

It demonstrates their Digital Natural Motion technology but we are not interested in that.

Close all multimedia programs (such as Windows Media Player) before opening the Philips demo app.

Open the Philips demo app and click on the left button with 24 > 60Hz written on it.

The bottom half shows how 24p would look on a 60Hz panel. If you are happy with the way it looks, get the V4000.

You can also click on the 25 > 75Hz button to view how 24p would look on the W4000, but your monitor must support 75Hz.

nokiauk

Thanks for the assistance.

Unfortunatly I use an Apple Mac and will be unable to run that file, the trailers I viewed from Apple's site were Fast & Furious and the new 007 film.

I also downloaded a music video from the Apple Quicktime page and a HD Video from Canon.

The streaming HD trailers were fine, it was the downloaded ones that stuttered in bits.

I'll see if I can try the file on a Windows PC at some point.

warbzo

Standard Member
that doesn't sound right

stuttering is to due to the video codec, and blurring may be caused by scaling or the response time.

This is a much better idea

Download this file. Don't worry, it's not a virus and absolutely no installation is required. It's in fact a standalone program by Philips Research.

It demonstrates their Digital Natural Motion technology but we are not interested in that.

Close all multimedia programs (such as Windows Media Player) before opening the Philips demo app.

Open the Philips demo app and click on the left button with 24 > 60Hz written on it.

The bottom half shows how 24p would look on a 60Hz panel. If you are happy with the way it looks, get the V4000.

You can also click on the 25 > 75Hz button to view how 24p would look on the W4000, but your monitor must support 75Hz.
The bottom half looked awful to me. Is that how it would look on a V4000? :/

nokiauk

Just a thought does a PS3 always play blu-rays at 24fps, cause I've seen a blu-ray on my friends LCD (Toshiba 32C3030DB) and picture looks fine. PS3 is set to output at 1080P over HDMI.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
awful as in you were able to detect one frame displayed slightly longer than the other?

2:3 = Frame 1, Frame 1, Frame 2, Frame 2, Frame 2, Frame 3, Frame 3, etc...

Frame 1 is displayed for 33.4ms (1000ms/60Hz = 16.7ms x 2)

Frame 2 is displayed for 50.1ms (16.7 x 3)

Last edited:

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Just a thought does a PS3 always play blu-rays at 24fps, cause I've seen a blu-ray on my friends LCD (Toshiba 32C3030DB) and picture looks fine. PS3 is set to output at 1080P over HDMI.

No, the PS3 can output at 60Hz as well (default).

In that case, get the V4000

nokiauk

I cannot see any evidence of 1 frame staying longer than any other on my friends set and he defiantly has the PS3 set to 24fps in the menu for output for blu-ray.

Looks like it's the cheaper option for me V4000 here we come.

Thanks for the assistance.

nokiauk

Seems to be 24. On the display settings output is set to 1080P and in the BD playback settings the option is shown as ("BD 24hz Output (HDMI)" - Sets the playback method for Blu-Rays recorded at 24hz (frames/second). This setting is set to On.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
then you wont see any judder cos each frame is displayed evenly

the 2:3 only appplies to TVs without 24p support, which means the player has to convert 24p to 60i/p using 2:3

nokiauk

then you wont see any judder cos each frame is displayed evenly

the 2:3 only appplies to TVs without 24p support, which means the player has to convert 24p to 60i/p using 2:3

In that case the Toshiba must support 24p and 1080P even though it's a 720P set?

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
ya it does, which means you'll still have to find out if you can detect the effects of 2:3

PS: The Philips app can wok on any Windows based PC. And to exit, press Esc;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom