Answered Considering a Denon x4200w & Kef Q series - but what?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Wildcatmb, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am putting together a 5.1 (for now) setup in my basement, carpeted. Drywall finished.

The room is rectangular, much longer than wide. (Basement runs length of house left and right, but the front wall is the half way point of my basement from front to back)

--BAR -L---TV----R
    | |
    -----------couch----

I'd say I have about 8-10 feet from couch (against back wall (lower wall in diagram)) to television (upperwall in diagram). I am estimating because I suck like your rival cities football team.

I have my eye on a Denon x4200w (presently on sale in my region) and would like to run a Kef Q series system (the series is in my budget). But I don't want to go underkill or overkill (to point it negatively affects my listening experience). (Also I assume the 4200 is enough juice / quality?)

Front tower speakers would be pretty close to front wall as not to impede foot traffic.

The viewing area is on the right half of the basement, with the front right tower speaker in a corner.
    Rear surrounds would be inline with viewing position on couch unfortunately due to space.

Please offer any and all advice possible. Switching the orientation would put my left and right terribly close to television. At the above setup - my front tower speakers would be about 12-16 feet apart..

I will measure and update this post later tonight.

Thanks

EDIT: I am looking for all suggestions (tower size, center channel, surrounds, and SW)

2. Best Answer:
    Post #16 by Joe Fernand, Aug 29, 2016 (1 points)
  3. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I think knowing what your budget is will help...

Also important is what you're looking to use this for - mostly films and TV, or music too?

My worry for you will be the positioning of the front R speaker so close to the wall. Speakers (and especially floorstanding speakers) require room around them to sound their best. Shuffling the system to the left would give the right speaker a bit more room, but chances are that you might want to bring the speakers out a bit too - if you can trial the system in your house, you'll have a better idea of placement.

While I can appreciate why you don't want the speakers so close to each other, rotating the set up would let you bring the speakers away from the wall, stopping the footfall issue. It would also let you put the surrounds on the wall (look at the q800ds), and thus give you a better surround location.

My next question is; do you really want floorstanders, or will stand mounted bookshelves suffice? Given that you are planning a sub, much of the grunt work you are expecting the floorstanders to do will actually be done by the sub anyway. This means smaller fronts, which can allow for different positioning (I haven't said 'better', because you won't know til you try).

I hope this helps!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    It really all depends on how you plan to use the system - where you are most catering for 2 or 3 folk on the sofa viewing Movies/TV aim to follow the speaker layout guidelines from Dolby, if its more of a 'sports bar' for lots of folk you may want to do things a bit differently.

Speaker Setup Guide

As Spraggle says Full Range speakers are more of a challenge to position and apart from Music playback you will mostly use them as 'Limited Range' (Small on the AVR settings) for Movie and TV viewing.

Ideally you try and avoid putting Loudspeakers into a corner - other than your Sub which sometimes wants to be in the corner to give its bass output a bit of a boost.

Will you have the opportunity to have a play around with speaker positioning before you 'bolt' them into place?

Joe

5. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget is actually pretty flexible - I've budgeted 1-1500 Canadian dollars for the receiver.

I'm kind of limited in room orientation as it is the basement, and I don't want to drill into outside wall if possible. Additionally, I can't shift the system left in the above orientation as there is a hall way to the left of my right front channel speaker, and a bar to the left of my left front channel.

Turning room orientation would cut my access off terrible as the space is 88" across.. (from couch to tv). By turning sideways my seating area would effectively fill up the 88" or have to sit in rows lol.

6. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check out that guide. For surrounds I can ceiling mount (as it's the basement).

For the front stage - I'm basically limited to that corner for the right, and just right of the bar for my left front channel. It's not the largest room, but it's all I have to work with.

For tv movies - It would be a love seat (for now) centered, and perhaps easy chairs flanking both sides (screw their perfect imaging lol..) but I have the capacity to really separate my surrounds.

For rest of the time, I would just have stereo music or sports events playing while ppl mill around the basement.

For reference the seating area for "theatre" mode is basically the right half of that rectangle.

There is a space between tv and right channel that leads to hall way toward bathroom and two spare rooms in basement.

Tv to couch is 88".
    Tv wall is about 89" across.
    Tv is a 55" Samsung 8000 series.

Looking at Denon x4200
    and a KEF system setup.

THe question is should I cluster the speakers directly next to the tv and centre channel (similar to the viewing room at my local electronics store) or push the right channel to other side of that exit hallway between tv and the corner - effectively putting the speaker into the corner. The left side would be then pushed out to attempt to keep it as symmetrical as possible (but it will get cramped inward by bar, or have to go another 4 feet past the bar.....

thoughts?

7. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    Some pictures would be useful.

8. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very fair. Will take and post tomorrow

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Pics - will definitely be handy.

I'd 'cluster' around the TV - though if it's all relatively close to the TV I'd consider just a Front LR (no Centre).

It's always going to be a compromise between visual symmetry and finding the absolute best spot for the Front L speaker.

Front LR - are you thinking In-wall, On-wall, Floor Mount or Stand mount.

In-ceiling - ensure you follow any local building Regs/code and plan to control the sound which 'leaks' out the back of the drivers.

Joe

10. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tv wall - 76.5 "

To hold a 55" tv 20160824_210454_001.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can see in the above and next two pics.. the right side has a hallway exiting forward to extra rooms and such. Left side is where bar will go bc of poorly located telepost in basement.

12. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right corner to middle of tv wall - 98"

Left speaker (if located by telepost / far side of bar) would be an additional 36" or a total of 134".

Tv wall to viewing position 100".
    Tv wall to back wall 115"

14. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And sorry - to clarify i am thinking of floor standing front channels, centre channel and bookshelves for rear surround.

No ceiling or inwall mounts.

I cant really rotate 90 degrees clockwise bc then my couch cuts off basement and eliminates any additional viewing positions for guests

15. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please disreagard the measurements in previous days posts as i mixed them up.

The measurements in the posts with and following the pictures are actual.

16. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Best Answer
    TV Wall - I'd be concentrating on on placing the Front LR (and possibly a Centre) On-wall, In-wall or Floor Mounted across the width of the TV Wall and forget about placing the speakers further out to the Left or Right of the TV wall.

In-wall - I'd mostly likely be going In-wall to save floor space/clutter/potential for damage in a potentially busy room.

Surrounds - if you feel you require them (I'm not convinced you need them with the room layout/use) are you wanting On-wall or Floor-mounted?

Subwoofer - On-wall, In-wall or Floor mounted?

Passive Soundbar - one option is to combine a Passive Soundbar with an Stereo Amp or AVR and add in a powered Sub, Atlantic Technology :: FS3 LCR Soundbar

Joe

18. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can go in wall bc furnace other side of tv wall.

Surrounds - wall mounted is fine but optional. Not in wall tho.

Subwoofer - flexible

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Should that be 'can't go in-wall'?

Joe

20. Wildcatmb

Wildcatmb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sorry. Joys of phone typing.

Tv wall cannot do in wall mounting due to furnace in other side of wall.