Considering a change again... from 20-39PC+ to Monolith-DF

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chrisgeary, Sep 10, 2007.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    We've had a bit of a re-arrange of the living room and the TV which was hiding the cylinder is now not. My GF is not too keen on the looks of the wooly sock so I'm considering possible candidates. I've had the SB12 and the PB12. The former doesn't go deep enough and the latter is really too big (and I don't like the sideways firing ports). That leaves the Monolith-DF.

Has anyone heard it against the cylinder or PB12+ and if so, what level of performance difference are we talking here?

I'm running in 16hz tune at the moment, and whilst I'm not a pipe organ fan, I'm keen to keep the clean extension if possible. I know the Monolith is spec'd to 15hz at -3db in room, but the cylinder can do more like +6db at 15hz!

I guess the Monolith is a compromise sitting somewhere between the SB12 and the cylinder(PB12+) subs. Would that be fair?

cheers

Chris

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    That would be fair.

If I may be so bold as to offer AngelEyes' PB12/Ultra as broadly comparable to a 12.3 driver equipped Plus, then I jumped through a number of hoops comparing the in room performance here.

I guess we have to accept that the Ultra is a slightly cleaner performer, but the fact is, there's not much that can offer seriously potent sub 20Hz fun other than a seriously potent sub tuned for sub 20Hz fun.:)

Either of the 12/Plus variants will go significantly louder than the Monolith, although to be fair, it's damn loud by the time you find that difference. In my room at least it was an easy choice to sacrifice (only some of) that headroom for the extra extension. You can't fake that feeling the lower tune offers.

BTW Chris, the rate you're going through subs, are you Recruit in disguise?

Russell

3. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Why not get something GF friendly to stand in front of it to hide it instead?

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Russ: heh.. yeah... I, erm.. need to stop changing my mind eh. Personally, I love the cylinder. I don't mind the look, its footprint is relatively small and its a hell of a performer (as we all know). But, and I've written about this a few times before, its WAF is not so great.

Andori: yes.. my gf was thinking about something like this: http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/livingaccessories/1/1
    but that would have suited a corner position better than where I have it now (3/4 of the way along the wall length just to the right of the main right speaker).

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Wrap the cylinder in a fabric of her choice and bung an ornament on top. :suicide:

6. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    The only way i'd lose my cylinder would be an upgade to a different/bigger cylinder - I love it.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I've always felt that if you could closely match the cylinder colour to the back wall the sub would just disappear.

We find the black sock completely innocuous. I never notice the cylinder is there unless I deliberately stare at it. It stands against a red curtain right beside the TV without ever drawing attention to itself. And mine is far larger than yours. ;)

What about a quick course in in conflict resolution? :)

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Ah.. yes.. I'll wrap it in something, not such a silly idea!

Here.. on a slightly different topic.. my cylinder has the black driver. Would that be the 12.1? I was listening to it tonight, and I'm not sure whether its the room or the driver, but it doesnt sound as tight as my old PB12 (which I think had the silver driver). Those who have upgraded from 12.1 to 12.2, was there much of a difference?