Considering a 24" Apple Cinema Display...some questions

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by psychopomp1, Nov 29, 2010.

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1
    Previously PIND DADAN KHAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Hi

On the lookout for a 20-24" 16:10 desktop monitor to replace my ageing Viewsonic VP191b...cracking monitor (S-PVA panel i believe) but only 4:3. Did consider the Dell 2209WA (e-IPS) but this is about 8cm thick so its a no-no (will be wall mounted). I'm now considering the 24" Apple Cinema Display, as this is a LED lit IPS panel (only one on market?) so should be thinner than the Dell. Some questions:

1) Availability? Obviously i'm aware that Apple have now discontinued the 24" version and only sell the 27" one which is too big for me. However Amazon UK can somehow obtain one though there is a 1-3 month waiting period. What are the chances of Amazon actually getting one though? I don't want to order on Amazon and then 2 months later find out from Amazon that they can't get hold of one! Amazon linky

2) Depth of panel? I've looked everywhere (even manual) but i cannot find the depth without the stand. However i managed to ask someone on ebay who's selling one and he said its about 4cm at its deepest point....which seems too good to be true! However just looking at some pics of this panel on the web indicates the panel is at least 5-6cm thick? Could someone who has one (or used one) confirm this please?

3) Power consumption? I read somewhere that the panel uses around 300W of power...surely this is excessive for a 24" LED backlit panel? I was expecting this to be less than 100w, considering that other 22" LED panels consume less than 50w!

4) Finally as i will be using this with my Win 7 desktop pc, will I need this converter such as this to convert from DVI to MiniDisplay Port?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Bear in mind the Apple Cinema Display is only a white LED backlight, not RGB LED. It's also rather likely to be directly backlit rather than the lit around the edge which is how the really thin panels are produced.

LG do have a few thin IPS screens coming, although they're 1920x1080: LG IPS206T, IPS226V, IPS236V IPS LED monitors - FlatpanelsHD