1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering 46WM48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by synaptyx, Jun 6, 2005.

1. synaptyx

synaptyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, first post! :hiya:

We're moving house soon and my 4 year old Hitach 32" CRT has just given up. Pathetic really, my last CRT lasted 14 years (a 21" Sammy!). I have been comparing bang for buck and I've decided on DLP for the HD compatibility and the sheer size. This has created a small controversy among friends who all seem to prefer plasma/LCD. I'm not a fan of the LCD's I've seen and couldn't afford a good sized screen anyway. I'm not considering plasma as I haven't seen an HD compatible at a decent (i.e. cheap :D ) price. Being a tight arsed Scotsman, I briefly considered the cheap LG, but reading the threads here convinced me to shell out the extra few hundred for the Tosh 46WM48 for the new place.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife. :lease:

I haven't been able to look at a DLP screen in the flesh yet, basically because there are none locally and I'd have to make a trip to Edinburgh to Glasgow to see some. Anybody in Ed/Gla recommend a place to look at DLP screens?

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Synaptyx - Wellcome to the forums!! :)

I previously owned the Tosh 46WM48 and it is a very good TV which displays stunning pictures with pinpoint sharpness and clarity, unfortunately this model has a problem with motion blurr (however not all owners have experienced this so i wouldn't let this put you off) and therefore returned it for the Sammy SP50L7 which i am very happy with indeed. I would recommend taking along some test discs to somewhere like Comet - you should be able to find somewhere in Glasgow/Edinburgh - a retail park would be ideal - that way you can try the Tosh in Comet - and then pop nextdoor to Currys and demo the Sammy 46L3 & 50L7!!! :thumbsup:

3. synaptyx

synaptyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soni,
    Thanks for the welcome and the info!
    Trying to keep the costs down so can't afford to go above £1400. Even that's a push so I think I may be pretty limited to what I can buy. Will take a trip to Edinburgh at the weekend I think. :)

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Synaptyx:

I've got an idea that the Tosh is still up for 1999 in Comet. However, if you can get into Costco, its up for £1527 (i think).

You could probably pick it up for even cheaper on-line. Take a look at the following link as an example of the price difference!!

http://www.buyyourav.com/product_details.asp?prodID=1365

You will certainly appreciate the PQ of the Tosh over the LG. Also, I’ve got a strange feeling that the LG isn't capable of receiving Sky HD when eventually broadcasted. Take a look at the following link – read JohnWildes post dated 3rd May.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208398&highlight=lg+hd

Trust me – if its out of the LG and the Tosh –then go for the Tosh – it gives a superb looking picture and you won’t be disappointed. If you can’t stretch that little bit more – then wait until prices drop – you will be defeating the object by getting the LG if you want HD.

5. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  6. synaptyx

synaptyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks!
    It looks like it's going to be 12 weeks :( before I can go ahead with getting a new TV. 'Er indoors doesn't want to have to get it now and move house with it. I'll keep an eye on the Tosh and the forums and see what I can manage closer to the time. :)

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    That might be a blessing in disguise as Toshiba are supposed to be launching replacements for the 46" and 52" with three new models, 46", 52" and 62" around September time. Pretty much the same as the existing but with twin Freeview tuners and two HDMI inputs.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7807

Regards

Mark

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That will almost certainly push the price of the existing models down, down, down!!! :)

9. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Very interesting! Toshiba must have confidence in their product to update the range and launch a 62" so soon. No doubt they will have ironed out any 'teething' problems. As for price, my guess is that £ for £ the new models will be cheaper than the existing models, although there will be some good bargains to be had before the new ones are available.

10. synaptyx

synaptyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, 5 and a half months later... I've just ordered a Sammy SP50. It should be delivered tomorrow. :) Can anybody recommend a multiregion DVD player capable of upscaling?

11. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I use Pioneer 868 HDMI output which is a stunning machine.

12. synaptyx

synaptyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just skint myself buying the TV, but thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking sub £200. ;)