Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Considering 37" LCD for HTPC, currently renting CRT, buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by comdw, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. comdw

comdw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently rent a Panasonic 32" CRT at £29 a month, and as I fulfilled the minimum contract and prices of panels are coming into range, I'm itching to buy.

My ultimate goal is to have everything fed from an HTPC. Everything I'm reading leads me to prefer an LCD for this, and although I'd like to go bigger than 32", size isn't everything, hence looking for 37" LCD.

Suggestions to do my HTPC proud (and not make me wish I'd bought 42" plasma) would be welcomed. The absolute maximum I'm willing to spend would be £2000, but ideally around £1500.

I'd also consider continuing to rent a while longer if prices are falling faster than I'm throwing money away on rental each month!

Any advice greatly appreciated...

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Wait for 37" 1080p LCD panels, budget ones are currently being released and reviewed in the USA.

***The LCD will last you 5-10years, it can get relegated to the bedroom at some stage, but I would wait 6 months before buying.*****

Edited by RS
    I do not mean it will break in 5 years, I mean it will be replaced by a better TV screen (such as SED) as your primary TV in 5-10 years, and then be relegated to the Bedroom, sorry for the confusion.

Prices are already dropping, once Sky HD starts transmitting there will be greater demand leading to a reduction of each model's production cycle, newer updated panels will be quickly brought to market with better features.

Spectre, Benq and Westinghouse are some of the cheap brands. These have ATSC tuners for US HD OTA, but also have DVI / HDMI inputs. One "interesting" format is 1080p24, this is supported by US ATSC HD standards, but is not part of Euro HD Ready standard. AFAIK from reading posts on this site, this is possibly one of the HD-DVD resolutions, as it is linked to film 24fps.

The next generation 1080p LCD's may have less flaws than these initial units.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=573173&page=1&pp=30

The Spectre reportedly has better 1080p performance for HTPC use than the Westinghouse (banding issue). The Spectre has 1:1 pixel mode, very important for HTPC. The Benq is yet to be delivered to US customers, but has been sold in Hong Kong.

Hopefully these 1080p panels may make it to Europe, of course 1080p material is an issue. The ATSC tuner would not be needed, a Euro HD monitor only model might even be cheaper than US version. Note 1080i50 / 720p50 / 576p50 support may be an issue if you import a panel.

The Spectre internal ATSC tuner apparately downscales/de-interlaces 1080i to 720p then upscales to 1080p. An external 1080i to 1080p HD box, or scaler feeding into the DVI input has been suggested as a solution.

It is early days, I think Benq has issues regarding 1080p according to feedback from Hong Kong.

The next sony 37" may have 1080p panel, there is a thread but probably only expensive Qualia series.

I am sure other people may have first hand information, I am only giving you the results of my own browsing on this subject.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    If a display only has a lifespan of 5 to 10m years then I can't see how they can be worth buying at £1500 .I' d be serioously annoyed if that happened With that sort of ridiculous lifespan buy as cheap as possible would be my suggestion.My last crt lasted a me good 20 years and the cost £400(B&O). I am waiting to see what Leds are capable of doing anything and at what cost

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sharp LCD has a lifespan of 60000 hours. Thats about 20 years at 8 hours a day.

I dont think Rocky knows what he is talking about.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I see you are as optomistic as ever la gran siete :rotfl:

Why worry about what's going to happen in 10 years?? :rolleyes: I'm sure any LCD will last at least 20 years based on Jerkyboy's scenario.

Anyway in 5, 10 or 20 years time LCD will have moved on or replaced. HD sets are available now from Sony, Toshiba etc. I would ensure that any screen has HDMI, two component inputs, PC input and the obligitory RGB SCART or two.

That way you can have your games, Sky and DVD in either SD or HD. You can use now and not be worried about the next few years if you upgrade to Sky HD, XBox 360 etc

6. comdw

comdw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seriously, people think I should continue to throw money away on renting?

I'd like some good examples of 37 inchers that are known to work well with HTPCs (native resolution over DVI is a must).

7. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bet you cannot find one that does Native res over DVI/HDMI.

If you do please let me know, I've been searching for 6+ months.

Even the new Sony and Samsungs dont !

8. comdw

comdw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought poeple had managed 1360x768, or is that via VGA?

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    That is because I have Scottish blood in me :D ( Isle of Mull a Mclaine no less. apparently Billy Connoly's mother was a Mclaine so we may be related :D )
    Thing is I hate buying expensive things that break down. i am not the kind of person who wants to keep replacing things for the latest gimmick. I dont want to work all the hours just to keep replacing things. i like things to lasts as they use to years ago. Must be the Scottish in me :D