1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consider a RPTV instead of a plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eamann, Nov 24, 2003.

1. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After months waiting for the new Pioneers and Panasonics, I decided finally to buy a RPTV. I am very pleased with the result. I would encourage those of you who are considering buying a plasma to take a look at RPTVs before making up your minds.

I bought a Thomson 52" screen (JW642S) with 100Hz, Hi Pix, progressive scan and component video - all for 2500 euros. The saturation and vibrancy of the colours can be overpowering.
    Coupled with a Philips 963SA DVD player giving me progressive scan and component video output, I have top-class home cinema.

For 3000 euros I have a combination which is as good if not better than many plasmas I have viewed over the past six months.

It is a pity that RPTVs are so badly presented in shops (you need to sit in front of them, rather than look down at them). I think that if people could see them at their best they would be less attracted to plasma.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just a shame they are the size of an elephant and about as stylish in your lounge :p :D :D

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    How would you wallmount a rptv ????? :blush: sorry

seriously i'm glad your happy with your purchase but anyone who buys a rptv instead of a plasma is mad, mad i tell you !!!

IMO :p

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I am sorry but I will insist that any form of well set up RPTV cannot touch the performance of plasma, lcd, projector or crt. I am glad you are happy eamann with a product most people I know would not. I have just sold my 433 Pio plasma to someone who owned RPTV, his words were "I have seen the light throwing away the RPTV and getting the plasma". Sorry RPTV is long DEAD
    and will never ever be top class home cinema.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I tend to agree that, for a large screen, a CRT RPTV is only effective because of reduced cost compared to the alternatives.

If you are unaffected by (or don't care about):

> refresh rate flicker (less of an issue with 100hz processing)
    > visible line structure (less of an issue with line doublers)
    > poor convergence
    > poor geometry
    > poor voltage regulation (bounce)
    > physical size
    > restricted viewing angle
    > propensity for phosphor burn-in (also true of plasmas)

then I'm sure a CRT RPTV will meet your needs.

I, on the other hand, would certainly not consider one of these dinosaurs.

6. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    As a former owner of two RPTV's and now a Plasma, I can now without doubt say that plasma is better for all the above mentioned reasons.
    I indeed did um and ahh about getting another RPTV even after I had the plasma on order, but I went to look at them and then back to a plasma and there was no contest.
    Truth be known the main overiding factor, which may well be the case in a lot of people was, can I really spend at least twice the money on a plasma compared to RPTV. Yes £3k+ is a lot of money to spend on a TV, but it's more than that, it's different, my front room is totally different, it is no longer taken over by a huge lump in the corner (no not the misses :D ), it doesnt matter if the sun is streaming in, I dont have to be sat at eye level for the best picture, I like it.