Conservatory Cleaning - How much would you expect to pay?

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Yesterday I had someone come out and give me a quote to clear out our guttering, clean it (including fascia, soffits etc.), clean the conservatory and finally pressure wash the paved / patio area out the back (it isn't that big).

The price was 250 quid. I thought it was a bit much. Has anyone had similar done? If so, what should I be expecting to pay?

markie g

Distinguished Member
Seems fairly high to me.

I'd say save your money and spend that on a good pressure washer and do it yourself.

Have you inspected your roof guttering? I think you'd be surprised how little they get clogged up (well mine don't anyway). If they are clogged up it might be worth getting someone in to do it. I did it once using some ladders and was one of the most scariest things ive done... it's surprising how high up it is when you get up there - so might be worth just paying for this alone.

Conservatory ones do seem to get clogged up fairly fast, but perhaps that's due to the level they are and leaves can easily get into them. But a quick blast with a hose pipe from one end to the down pipe normally gets rid of most. I normally buy a cheap mop from poundland for the roof of the conservatory.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Have you inspected your roof guttering? I think you'd be surprised how little they get clogged up (well mine don't anyway). If they are clogged up it might be worth getting someone in to do it. I did it once using some ladders and was one of the most scariest things ive done... it's surprising how high up it is when you get up there - so might be worth just paying for this alone.
Eh?
It's not that scary.
You just need someone you trust to lift the ladder up a bit more, so you can reach the guttering :rotfl:

Attachments

• ladder_holding.jpg
    ladder_holding.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 115

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Seems fairly high to me.

I'd say save your money and spend that on a good pressure washer and do it yourself.

I cleared the guttering in our old house one time and I don't fancy doing it again :)

Where there are gulleys etc. there are weeds growing in the guttering. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the guttering is clear though. There aren't that many trees & stuff around (it is a fairly newish estate).

I know the conservatory guttering is fine. It all fell off a few years ago in the snow. We bought treble the brackets and put it back up (cleaning it as we went).

I tend to clean the conservatory myself but I've never touched the roof and it is going a bit green on one side.

I've pressure washed the path / patio in the past (my dad has a pressure washer). I know it is fairly easy but not the nicest of jobs :(

I'm considering just getting the guttering cleared, fascias cleaned and the conservatory roof. I'll do the rest myself.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
A ladder standoff makes all the difference when working on gutters. I use a few drain rods with a half moon attachment to scape out the gutters either side of the conservatory. But if you really don't fancy it maybe have a look at the gutter hedgehog so it stays clear.

markie g

Distinguished Member
A ladder standoff makes all the difference when working on gutters. I use a few drain rods with a half moon attachment to scape out the gutters either side of the conservatory. But if you really don't fancy it maybe have a look at the gutter hedgehog so it stays clear.
Wow, never knew you could buy ladder standoff's. The main issue i had when clearing was when i have to bend backwards to access the gutter - excellent idea.

If you have a big conservatory you could try one of these for only £15 - handy for clearing the top windows too (connects to the hose pipe). It should also be able to clean your fascias (might need a small ladder too to give an extra boot):
Green Blade BB-CB190 Heavy Duty Tri Section Extending Wash Brush: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

The above is simply what i would do, but i am a bit OCD with everything.. even if they did clean my gutters i'd probably still want to go up and have a look at their work and end up removing more.

But going back to your original question for guttering cleared, fascias cleaned and the conservatory roof i'd say £100-£150 max would be reasonable. After all it's only labour involved (5 hours max?).. and perhaps some soapy water.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I've just had another quote without the path / patio pressure washed but with all the above and UPVC polished and restored.

180 quid.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom