Conservative Party Funding

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
I am not sure that I see anything to worry about in the above. Its unlikey that the Russians would even want to try and exert any leverage in the UK for the obvious reason that the UK doesnt matter in realpolitik. We have little or no influence in the world of the big boys like the US, China, the EU. We have no secrets worth bothering about because we have proved time and again that HMG leaks like a seive. So can anyone explain why Putin would bother to "turn" Boris?
The UK is a nice friendly tax haven / play ground for Russian billionaires. I'm sure they'd like keep it that way. You might as well ask why the UK wants to influence the Channel Islands.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
I am not sure that I see anything to worry about in the above. Its unlikey that the Russians would even want to try and exert any leverage in the UK for the obvious reason that the UK doesnt matter in realpolitik. We have little or no influence in the world of the big boys like the US, China, the EU. We have no secrets worth bothering about because we have proved time and again that HMG leaks like a seive. So can anyone explain why Putin would bother to "turn" Boris?

Because everything you've written above didn't apply until 2016. So it was a very worthwhile project for old Vlad back when.

Now though it's just to keep London as their money laundering pit. As you're right, the UK's relevance is now dwindling. Alienating ourselves from our allies and losing credibility on the world stage. Much the same way as the US has.

Might be the G6 soon!

birdseye

Standard Member
Because everything you've written above didn't apply until 2016. So it was a very worthwhile project for old Vlad back when.

Now though it's just to keep London as their money laundering pit. As you're right, the UK's relevance is now dwindling. Alienating ourselves from our allies and losing credibility on the world stage. Much the same way as the US has.

Might be the G6 soon!
Of course it applied before 2016 and for that matter almost any time since 1945. Political power for a country comes from the doors of the factories and not the woffle of pundits or membership of clubs. And in terms of real wealth ie gdp/head we are 26th in the world.

I love it when people talk about "credibility on the world stage". We are like the old impoverished aristo living in a draughty unheated barn of a place that his ancestors built in their pomp, unable to afford the staff to man the place but still trying to keep up appearances. Everyone smiles behind our backs and takes no notice because we dont matter.

I see nothing wrong with money laundering as long as it isnt UK citizens money. The Swiss have prospered well out of doing just that for a century or more..

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
Of course it applied before 2016 and for that matter almost any time since 1945. Political power for a country comes from the doors of the factories and not the woffle of pundits or membership of clubs. And in terms of real wealth ie gdp/head we are 26th in the world.

I love it when people talk about "credibility on the world stage". We are like the old impoverished aristo living in a draughty unheated barn of a place that his ancestors built in their pomp, unable to afford the staff to man the place but still trying to keep up appearances. Everyone smiles behind our backs and takes no notice because we dont matter.

I see nothing wrong with money laundering as long as it isnt UK citizens money. The Swiss have prospered well out of doing just that for a century or more..
GDP/head gives no indication of economic power. Otherwise Qatar would be in charge, and China in 79th position.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member

Might be the G6 soon!

Putin has broken the UK on the international stage (EU membership enabled us to punch above our weight). Mission accomplished for Russia. Next it will likely concentrate on further destabilising former soviet block countries. Putin's view is that the fall of the Soviet Union is the greatest geopolitical disaster of the 20th century. Removing the UK from the equation is part revenge and part practical. Whittle down the EU one member state at a time to reassert Russia's sphere of influence in Europe.

Russia will continue to use the UK as a money laundering site, and if any UK politicians decide to grow a backbone ? Putin would have no qualms in releasing certain bits of information to destroy Westminster, once Russian assets have been secured. No wonder Russian diplomats were crowing a while back that they'd destroyed the UK for a generation or more. We are stuck with a political party in Government that's upto it's eyeballs in Russian cash.

The reason we didn't really take things further over the nerve agent attack ? Kompromat against most of the Tory Party. The Tories always put themselves before they put the country first. It's all about power and wealth for them. Easily corruptible by someone as clever and patient as Putin.

richp007

Distinguished Member

I almost thought you were trying to make a serious point until you wrote that there's nothing wrong with money laundering.

Although your second paragraph is now quite accurate.

Smudges Dad

Distinguished Member
From Twitter
#Tories Minister Robert “Mr #Backhander“ Jenrick is at it again.

He has personally overturned a local planning decision in #Herefordshire to allow Bloor Homes to proceed with its housing project.

In return, Bloor donated £150,000 to Conservative party.

Just 48 hours later.

Erlang168

Sanctions, Sanctions, Sanctions.

Follow the money

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
Because London and the UK's oversea's territories are some of the biggest money laundering centres in the world, and Puntin would like that to continue.

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member
As the Tories wage their culture war against the evils of 'wokism', it's time to give a shout out to one of wokism's leading lights.

5fe092d5c910a400192e8a32.jpeg

It's a point that's been made before regarding politicians and sportspeople: what would Parliament look like if politicians had the names of all their sponsors and donors on their clothing?

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
Are you in the building industry ? Require the Government to make things easier for you ? Then spend £4k on dinner with Michael Gove. Who might walk out in a huff.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Are you in the building industry ? Require the Government to make things easier for you ? Then spend £4k on dinner with Michael Gove. Who might walk out in a huff.

I heard he left early to go to a rave.

Just a rumour mind.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Goes nowhere is my best guess . The imminent downfall of the tories , society, labour , unions , labrapoodles, Greggs etc etc never happens

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
Goes nowhere is my best guess . The imminent downfall of the tories , society, labour , unions , labrapoodles, Greggs etc etc never happens

It might go somewhere, I expect Democrats and some Republicans will want this Russian nailed to remove Trump from the next Presidential Election. You'll know if the Tories are in a panic as they'll be issuing D Notices like confetti and attempting to block news content from outside the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom