Conroe E6600 system - thoughts please :)

Games Guru said:
How can you have a 700W PSU in a 420W case?!

I'm guessing where it says 420W case, it means the case has a 420W PSU included.
So all that would have to be done is remove the included PSU, and install the 700W PSU

Oh, ok.

I thought it meant that the case could only support up to 420W.

pRot3us said:
The Gigabyte DS3 is a great board and much cheaper than the Asus and its fine with Corsair/Geil ram.

CPU Cooler : The Scythe Ninja is a great big beast :D

Basically everything in my sig rocks :D :cool: :smashin:

oh and shop around for best prices, if you buy all components from one place you will get ripped off :lesson: :nono:

And via the internet £8 for every package.... soon adds up. :). I use the Typhoon cooler on my last couple of Comp ... top notch cooler.

I just want to warn people of GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit. It doesnt run at 800 MHz, it can only run at 667 Mhz. I to have a E6600 Conroe setup with a Asus P5b mobo and it wouldnt run at the right speed. I tested with cpuz and it was showing the slower speed of 667MHz. I tried to set it up correctly in the Bios and it wouldnt boot with the correct timings and settings. I then goggled the problem and it is a known issuse with Geil and OCZ memory. It is even mentioned on the Geil forum/website. This memory has issuses with Intel, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards

After furthur digging around I found that the only memory that would work correctly was the Corsair. It was more expensive but I swapped the Geil memory I ordered with Overclockers for the Corsair and the system works fine now.

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-108-CS)

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

I hope this helps. :smashin:

Razor said:
I just want to warn people of GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit. It doesnt run at 800 MHz, it can only run at 667 Mhz. I to have a E6600 Conroe setup with a Asus P5b mobo and it wouldnt run at the right speed. I tested with cpuz and it was showing the slower speed of 667MHz. I tried to set it up correctly in the Bios and it wouldnt boot with the correct timings and settings. I then goggled the problem and it is a known issuse with Geil and OCZ memory. It is even mentioned on the Geil forum/website. This memory has issuses with Intel, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards

After furthur digging around I found that the only memory that would work correctly was the Corsair. It was more expensive but I swapped the Geil memory I ordered with Overclockers for the Corsair and the system works fine now.

I hope this helps. :smashin:

That's a shocker! :eek:

Very useful info though ... guess I won't be getting Geil then :nono:

Dez

zedzed said:
That's a shocker! :eek:

Very useful info though ... guess I won't be getting Geil then :nono:

Dez

I was gutted when I found out. The Corsair is also slightly more expensive than the Geil for the same memory 800MHz 4-4-4-12.

Razor said:
Not true :nono:

I'm happily running at 800Mhz as we speak. The ram is guaranteed to run at this speed. Its also clocks very well, I've seen people running it at over 1000Mhz. It needs 2.1 volts to run at its rated speed :lesson:

pRot3us said:
Not true :nono:

I'm happily running at 800Mhz as we speak. The ram is guaranteed to run at this speed. Its also clocks very well, I've seen people running it at over 1000Mhz. It needs 2.1 volts to run at its rated speed :lesson:

Hi pRot3us :hiya:

How did you get it to run mate, there is loads of reports about this ram not working. I tried many different combos to get it running?

What motherboard have you got? I have read that its the Asus, Gigabyte and a few Intel boards that have these issues. Even with the new BIOS from Asus it still wouldnt work. Asus excuse was that they dont get much info from Geil to make this work correctly. I read this on the Asus site by one of their tech staff.

I tried running at 2.1 volts @ 4-4-4-12 but still nothing, it wouldnt even boot to the BIOS screen at these settings.

BTW what timings are you running?

Hi Razor :hiya:

I'm running a Gigabyte DS3 (see sig ;) )

I've not manually set the timings yet,set to auto so they will be running slacker than 4-4-4-12. I'll have a proper play when I get time, I've read that the ram may need 2.2v to run at these timings

pRot3us said:
Hi Razor :hiya:

I'm running a Gigabyte DS3 (see sig ;) )

I've not manually set the timings yet,set to auto so they will be running slacker than 4-4-4-12. I'll have a proper play when I get time, I've read that the ram may need 2.2v to run at these timings

I think upping the voltage may solve the issue, but my board only went upto 2.1v.

You have the same graphics card as me. :smashin:

My setup

SilverStone "LASCALA" LC14S-M (Silver)with VFD/IR & Remote Aluminum Front & SECC Body D/top
E6600 Core 2 Duo
Asus P5B mobo
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-108-CS)
2 x 320 gig Seagate Sata II drives
Zalman CNPS8000 Ultra Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler
Nesteq Semi-Fanless ASM PSU, 520W
Acousti AcoustiFan: DustPROOF to replace Silverstone case fans (2x60mm and 1x92mm fan)
Creative Audidgy 2ZS (stolen from old htpc)
Pioneer 111 DVD writer dual layer

I have 6 external HDDs 5x250 gig lacie and 1x320 gig maxtor.

So far I am very pleased with the results. :)

Virtually totally new pc here, its a beast :devil: I'm well happy :D

Now when are them damn HD-DVD-ROM drives going to appear :mad:

My geil ram is currently at 740mhz, havent quite got it up to 800 yet! Its my first overclock so taking it slowly.

what voltages are you running pRot3us? my setup is very similar to yours (6600, geil ram & ds3)

The only volts I've changed are the ram volts (2.1v). And you just change the ram multipler in the bios to 3 (in the ram settings page ; hidden settings CTRL+F1) to get 800Mhz :)

Get G.Skill or Team Group ram, particularly G.Skill PC2-6400 HZ or GA ram or Team Group PC2-5300 or PC2-6400 ram.

Razor said:
Nice to see your happy with your new toy mate. :smashin:

You can buy Blueray DVD writers sold here but they aint cheap.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Blu_Ray_Drives.html

Yeah, seen them, silly money.Its looking like HD-DVD is the better format at the moment,so I'll hold out for one of them, not bothered about a writer either so the ROM drives should be a bit cheaper.It looks like we're not getting these drives until next year :thumbsdow

pRot3us said:
Yeah, seen them, silly money.Its looking like HD-DVD is the better format at the moment,so I'll hold out for one of them, not bothered about a writer either so the ROM drives should be a bit cheaper.It looks like we're not getting these drives until next year :thumbsdow

I am hoping the combo drives will be coming out soon. I definately want a writer 50gig on a disc would be so handy. You just know that in 3 years time these drives will be had for a fraction of what we are paying today and at better burning speeds to.

BTW what settings have you set your X1900XT to. Do you use the ATI Tool?

i use ATI tool with my X1900XT. CCC is very resource hungry and bloated piece of software.

booyaka said:
i use ATI tool with my X1900XT. CCC is very resource hungry and bloated piece of software.

I have been messing around with ATI tool and set up all my fans and done a small overclock. CCC was setting my overclock to 690MHz for the core which was full on the CCC slider and the memory was set at 725MHz. :eek:

I got no probems with artifacts but it seemed very high. :confused:

I read that the CCC overclock feature wasnt accurate and wasnt recomended to be used. What have you overclocked your card to?

I have mine now set at 654.75 and 729.0 my temp of my gpu after playing a few hours of games like FEAR is only 60c. :)

tbh i have mine at stock most of the time - only overclock for benchies etc.

@ 500/1200 that rips through BF2 etc with everything on high and only max's then @ 65 or less.

ATI tool is much simplier to use and does what you need it to.

Did have it up as high as 675/1450 for benchies (3d marks 06 etc) and got no artifacts.

booyaka said:
Did have it up as high as 675/1450 for benchies (3d marks 06 etc) and got no artifacts.

Cool that is plenty. Overall I am very pleased with the X1900XT. SM 3.0 looks stunning. :smashin:

Razor just been looking at your AV setup could you not get a bigger tv in there like m8.does any light come through that window

Razor said:
BTW what settings have you set your X1900XT to. Do you use the ATI Tool?
Yeah I use the Omega drivers and ATi Tray Tools, not clocked it yet. I dare say I will clock the cpu and gpu at some point, but its such a massive jump up from my previous system (AMD64 3400+/ATi X800XTPE (one of the first in the country when they were as rare as hen's teeth)) that I don't feel the need to clock yet. It laughs at anything I throw at it ; 'Is that the best you can do?' :devil: :eek:
Razor said:
Overall I am very pleased with the X1900XT. SM 3.0 looks stunning. :smashin:
Yeah, SM3/HDR effects look amazing. I'm currently enjoying Flatout 2, with everything cranked up it truely is one of the best looking driving games I've ever played, its great fun too :thumbsup:

pRot3us said:
Yeah I use the Omega drivers and ATi Tray Tools, not clocked it yet. I dare say I will clock the cpu and gpu at some point, but its such a massive jump up from my previous system (AMD64 3400+/ATi X800XTPE (one of the first in the country when they were as rare as hen's teeth)) that I don't feel the need to clock yet. It laughs at anything I throw at it ; 'Is that the best you can do?' :devil: :eek:

Yeah, SM3/HDR effects look amazing. I'm currently enjoying Flatout 2, with everything cranked up it truely is one of the best looking driving games I've ever played, its great fun too :thumbsup:

How spooky is that. I still have a AMD 3400 with ATI X800XT PE (its in my office now :) ). I waited 6 weeks for the system because of the graphics card, I was also one of the first in the UK to get one. The X800XTPE was and still is a great card.

I have just ordered Flatout 2 on the strength of your post. I loved the first game, even though I am not a driving fan. Cheers for that. :smashin:

What is the advantage of the Omega Drivers?

sunderland - Who needs light.... :devil:

I would like to upgrade my set soon to a 75'+ 1080p display, at the moment though there isnt anything in the UK that fits the bill. :(

Razor said:
I have just ordered Flatout 2 on the strength of your post. I loved the first game, even though I am not a driving fan. Cheers for that. :smashin:
I hope you paid no more than £12.99 for it (even though its worth it) ;)
Razor said:
What is the advantage of the Omega Drivers?
They've always been tweaked versions of ATI's catalyst drivers and traditionally people have said they give slightly better image quality, but the main reason I use them is to avoid using ATI's bloated CCC drivers :thumbsdow (although I hear they are not as bad as they used to be)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom