1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connectivity

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jaminho, Sep 22, 2003.

1. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to this game and new plasma, (42PD3000) arrives on Thursday and I intend to connect an all-in-one system, (eg Pana SCHT900 or similar, but not decided yet) and Sky + box.

I'll connect the dvd to the plasma's tuner box via component. I assume componaent is picture only, so which socket and cable type do I use for best sound?

Second question, If i connect the sky box to the plasma via RGB Scart what do i use to connect the sky to the dvd to enable Sky's sound on the all in one system. Is it the optical?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and got myself all confused so a little clarity would be much appreciated.

I've searched threads, but can't find the answer

Also, which cables to use? The most common ones i've seen are Profigold, IXOS and Monster. Any of these a no go or any specific ones to avoid or buy

:confused:

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi i dont understand your first question, the sound for the dvd will come straight from your all in one system so no need for cables there.

Second question, if you are using sky+ as you say then yes use an optical lead.

As for the cables personally i woud use IXOS

hope this helps

oh and yes componant is picture only

3. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, that clears up one query.

The first part refers to the connection from the DVD, (all-in-one), to the plasma tuner box. This i intend to do via component but how does the sound come out of the TV's speakers if i don't want to use the surround system.

In summary it would seem that the cables i need are:

RGB Scart for sky to plasma box
    Component for DVD to plasma box
    Optical for Sky to DVD
    ANother for DVD sound to TV ???????

If any of this is incorrect or i've missed something, please let me know

cheers

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry why wouldnt you want to use the surround speakers? surely this is why you bought it?

have you already bought the dvd all in one? if so tell us which one it is as i dont know what outputs it has.

As for the connections again, ideally you should have sky and dvd going straight to the plasma not to the tuner box.

Hope that helps a little:smashin:

5. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

All this is correct. I own a Panasonic SC-HT900 and to connect the TV sound you could connect the TV via good quality phono leads to the AUX input sockets and then listen using Dolby Pro logic II or simply watch all TV through your Digibox via the optical output as you have already said you would use for Sky!!:)

6. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geezer after looking at the Hitachi site it appears you can't connect (via scart/component) direct to the plasma screen

7. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very true regading the Hitachi. It all goes through the tuner box with one connection lead to the screen.

Blackbull, how do you find the pana. I listened to the SCST1 this weekend which i thought was pretty good, but the guy in the shop said the 900 was better, (more powerful, prog scan etc.). Although given I intend to mount the plasma on the wall i'd prefer the slimmer centre of the SCST but i'm told it's not a patch on the 900's centre. Do you find it loud enough? I've listened to the Sony 888 4 times and found myself able to hold conversations very easily with the chap in the shop when he had turned up full blast. The SCST1 seemed louder, but still not what i expected

? Is the SCST worth the extra c£300? It would seem not

8. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Didnt know that :suicide:

9. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I dont think that was what he was asking though, from what i understood he wanted to be able to listen to the audio from the dvd player with the tv's speakers.

is that right?

10. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaminho, I would say the 900 is the way to go, technically and specification wise it is strange that the mid range system is so clearly superior to the flagship all in one.
    http://www.hometheatermag.com//allinonehometheatersystems/181/index.html
    I have had my system for a month now and I have yet to find a fault with it, get a multiregion one from Techtronic for instance and you would be away. But having said that, looking at the Hitachi site I couldn't help but notice that your plasma is capable of progressive scan in both NTSC and PAL while the SC-HT900 is capable of only outputting in NTSC progressive scan this is not a problem as you could simply then buy all your DVD's from the US/Canada (region 1) to take advantage of this facility or possibly seek out an a system that outputs both. I envy you, as it is, a multiregion SC-HT900 and the 42PD3000 looks an awesome combination!! Happy viewing:smashin:

11. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geezer, Thats correct. There will definately be occasions when I need DVD sound through the TV speakers. (Kids in Bed etc)

Blackbull - Cheers for that. I'm itching to have it up and running! If I could find a system that did both PAL & NTSC Prog scan I'd be very interested but i've been researching this for weeks and I can't find one. Saying that I think the new JAMO sytem does, but I could be wrong. It's that new though it's impossible to find anybody who's got one in to listen to, and at the end of the day, it's about hearing these things first hand.
    Glad to hear theres a multi region version as well

Oh by the way, you never said how you found the volume?

12. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Couldnt you just turn it down? If you want to do this then i guess you would need another optical lead, but i dont know what inputs the plasma has, alternatively use phono leads but then it will only be stereo.

13. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jaminho with regards to the volume I guess it depends on the size of the room with the size of your Plasma suggesting a large room I don't know. The system has no problem filling my living room but is a relatively small room so I didn't have a need for trouser flapping air pressure having said that I do like to have the system loud when watching DVDs (20db -14db) and it has more than enough grunt to have my wife say it unnecessary for companies to make stuff that goes so loud...

14. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like the sound of that. The rooms not that big, about 5.5m x 3.5m.

Ahh the wife test. I suspect mine would probably react the same as your good lady. However, normally the wife test has a very low volume threshold!!!

Thanks for the input

15. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jaminho, There is a review of the Jamo system in the October issue of What Home Cinema. Gets a 97% score, looks good, does pal and ntsc prog scan with component connections and can handle just about any disc type......If you go to the Jamo website (www.jamo.co.uk), you can search for dealers in the country.

I'm sorely tempted myself.......

Hope this helps,

16. nottinghamlad

nottinghamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading this thread and if your after the ht900 then the cheapest place is techtronics who have a multiregion for £430.
    Only prob is that pana have changed the softwhare and techtronics are struggling with the mod and ive now been waiting 2weeks:mad: though it would be awsome with your plasma as i demo'd it in jessops and it sounds awsome!!!

cheers nottinghamlad!

17. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that,

from my investigations it looks like c£400 is the cheapest it's available for.

Still not decided though. Plasmas in a box in the back bedroom and i'm thinking of waiting to see what the new sony systems are like. They look fantastic, (eg HTP1900 & HTR6500 etc).

Regarding the component connection on ther pana, it always says prog scan and component for NTSC. I understand prog scan will only work with region 1 etc but do I still benefit from the component connection? ie does it need scart for when your not reading NTSC discs?

18. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    no you wont need an extra scart