connectivity help/advice plz

itr786

Standard Member
I've just ordered a Panasonic th42px80b from John Lewis and as I'm a newbie not 100% sure on the best way to connect everything up.

MY SETUP:

Panasonic th42px80b,
Ps3,
Denon dht-500sd 5.1 surround sound,
Standard virgin box.

Could you good folks plz give me some advice and the best way to connect all these up to get the best quality vision/sound;

My current intension is as follows:

panni TO ps3 = hdmi lead?
panni TO denon = standard 21 pin Scart or component video cable (ADVICE!?)
panni TO virgin = standard 21 pin scart
denon TO PS3 = optical lead?

As i said earlier, I'm new to this game but would really like to make sure i get the best out of the set-up i have. Any advice would be most appreciated.

kind regards,
al

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Is the Denon system region free modified? If not, I wouldn't bother connecting it to the TV, the PS3 is a more than capable DVD player, so you could get away with using the Denon for audio only unless you don't like using the PS3 for DVD? If you do connect it, there isn't much difference between component video (ypbpr) and RGB SCART. It's a case of try both and see which you prefer. Component in theory should be better.

Therefore I would connect the PS3 to the TV via HDMI and to the Denon via optical. The virgin box would connect to the TV via SCART (set to RGB) and then run an audio cable from the TV (probably optical but possibly analogue red/white phono) to the Denon. This would give you pseudo surround sound e.g. Dolby Pro Logic from both the cable box and the TV's built in freeview tuner. You could also connect an audio cable from the cable box to the Denon separately. Try it and see if you prefer it, there might be no difference but you never know.

Enjoy your new TV :thumbsup:

itr786

Standard Member
The denon is region free, but thinking about it now, once everthing is set up, i probably won't be using the denon for dvd/cd etc, its main purpose will obviously be for the surround sound for tv/ps3.

So basically the set-up would be =

panni - ps3 = hdmi
panni - virgin = standard scart
ps3 - denon = optical

and to get audio from the denon to the panni, would something like this be ok:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=114779&CatId=795

would the set-up above mean i'd get surround sound from normal tv/virgin box and out of the ps3??

kind regards,
al

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The denon is region free, but thinking about it now, once everthing is set up, i probably won't be using the denon for dvd/cd etc, its main purpose will obviously be for the surround sound for tv/ps3.

So basically the set-up would be =

panni - ps3 = hdmi
panni - virgin = standard scart
ps3 - denon = optical

and to get audio from the denon to the panni, would something like this be ok:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=114779&CatId=795

would the set-up above mean i'd get surround sound from normal tv/virgin box and out of the ps3??

kind regards,
al

Looks good. :thumbsup: Yes you will get s/s (see comments above) from the TV/cable box with that setup.

If that is what audio connection your TV has, yes that cable will be fine. Do you need 10m though? I recently installed my bathroom/bedroom setup using Ixos blue (can't remember model number) interconnects and also use them in the car (when I finish installing everything) and they're very good quality and not too dear.

itr786

Standard Member
lol just found a link for the type of cable i need, only actually need a max. of 2m.

davepuma, much appreciated :thumbsup: for the help/advice, went down to comet/curry's and after a 30min conversation with one of the salesmen regarding cables, walked away scratching my head!.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
lol just found a link for the type of cable i need, only actually need a max. of 2m.

davepuma, much appreciated :thumbsup: for the help/advice, went down to comet/curry's and after a 30min conversation with one of the salesmen regarding cables, walked away scratching my head!.

Unfortunately their training involves "Expensive = Better" and they usually can't offer any advice on how to connect and subsequently set stuff up. I can't believe these shops charge to install kit either as usually they leave it a shambles. Still, I'm sure some of them know their stuff but I've yet to meet one!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom