Connectivity/Functionality HXD870

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DonCorbata, Jan 20, 2008.

1. DonCorbata

DonCorbata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I HOPE I'M POSTING IN THE RIGHT PLACE
    I'm New to the Forum. I'm a bit bamboozled by the possible connectivity permutations so forgive me. I have read the FAQ's, but found nothing that is the same as my (NON SKY) Sat Box connectivity problem – it may be simple, but Because I don't know . . . . So, is there an expert (on the HXD870) who can answer these questions please?
    Hardware:-
    My Sony TV has 2 scarts, and of course an aerial input.
    My NON FREEVIEW Sat Box is set up to receive Dutch channels. (It has Coax - Sat In and Out and RF In and Out, 2 Scarts, Video Y and Audio L and R.)
    I'm buying a HXD870 (Coax Analogue In and Out and Digital In and out, 2 Scarts - various Audio and video Sockets, (and an odd extra Coaxial Out?).

The objective is to connect up in such a way as to perform, (USING REMOTES, ONLY, not re-plugging or getting out of my chair other than to handle dvd's), all the following tasks:-

View all Freeview channels (using the 870's inbuilt receiver).
    View all the Dutch Sat channels.
    Select programmes to be recorded from both Sat and Freeview using a Program Guide as opposed to Program Timer.
    View any program from either Sat or Freeview, irrespective of any other program from either source being recorded simultaneously.
    Watch DVD's while recording programs to the Hard Drive.
    Control all the feasible interaction between DvD's and the Hard Drive.

1. Can you specify Scart/Coaxial etc. connectivity which will make all the above achievable just using Remotes?
    2. If Yes!. Will I need to use two Remotes? Or can I get away with one?

(The reason I am asking is that, with my current arrangement with a freestanding Freeview box , Dutch Sat box and a Sony VCR, I can't watch a different program if I am recording a Sat (Dutch) Program – I find this too restrictive)
    Thanks – Douglas Blackmore

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    when the sony is recording you cannot change its inputs to anything else , so if it is recording from the sat box either on av1/line 1 , or on the analogue coax , that means those 2 boxes are out of bounds and you should use your tv tuner to watch something else , so ideally you have a tv with freeview in it or use when the recorder and sat box are busy

you wont get away with the supplied remote doing all 3 tasks , so will still use 2 or 3 remotes unless you use something like a one for all multi remote

I dont think you will get guide plus to give you those dutch channels either , but you can try it and see

it will let you play a dvd , or a recording on the hdd , while it is recording , but remember , it will only record one thing at once

3. DonCorbata

DonCorbata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks.
    I'm still digesting what you said. Keep an eye open in case I come up with a supplementary question!
    Once more, Many Many Thanks
    Douglas

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    sorry for the spelling mistakes but I was shaking from severe flu when I wrote that yesterday

I hope you get the gist of it , and I will edit my original post accordingly

thanks

5. DonCorbata

DonCorbata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Ramjet and Thanks,
    My continued confusion is born out of disappointment. Quite apart from any set up I might have previously mentioned, I have a second setup which just has a terrestrial aerial for Freeview (FV). This plugs into a fairly basic cheap Pace ‘Twin Digital Television Recorder' (which has a built in FV tuner) with a Scart lead to a TV (Samsung SM940MW). The disappointment? This is because this Recorder will allow me to record any FV channel while simultaneously watching it, or any other FV channel – something which I think you are telling me the HXD870 will not allow – event though, like the Pace, it has its own FV tuner and hard drive! Have I got something wrong here?

Going back to the configuration:- Sony TV, HXD870 and Sat Box as previously described, are you able to confirm:-

1. That the HXD870 will not allow me to use its tuner to record a FV channel while simultaneously being able to watch another FV channel from the same tuner? (Perhaps my expectation is not taking account of the word TWIN in the Pace description, and this is where my confusion begins?)

2. The limitation you describe when recording a Sat Box channel is hard to understand. It means complete redundancy of the FV tuner in the HXD870 which could be being used to output a FV channel to a TV. Have I got this correct?

I hope I am not too much trouble to you! Thank You!
    Sincerely – Douglas Blackmore

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    1) the sony can only record from one source , and only has a single digital tuner , so when it is recording freeview it is locked and cannot be changed which is why you should use a freeview box in your tv for watching another channel , or buy and use a freeview tv like I have done ( with its own built in tuner )

if you want to be able to watch one channel and record another channel you need a twin tuner which is in some pvr recorders like the humax 9200t , but that doesnt have dvd facilities

2) if recording from line 1 , then that input is locked preventing the use of the internal tuner

so to summarise , when its recording from any input , the other inputs are locked and cannot be used

your pace may have twin digital tuners , allowing recording of one channel and recording another channel
    the humax 9200t is similar if that is the case

7. DonCorbata

DonCorbata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Ramjet,

Hope you've completely shaken off the flu. Thank you very much for your patience and all the answers – they must be good, I think I understand where I was going wrong!
    However, as a reward/penalty for being so knowledgeable, I want to put my latest idea to you. Going back to my first hardware setup which I said was:-

A Sony TV with 2 scarts, and of course an aerial input.
    A NON FREEVIEW Sat Box, set up to receive Dutch channels. (It has Coax - Sat In and Out and RF In and Out, 2 Scarts, Video Y and Audio L and R.)
    I'm buying a HXD870 (Coax Analogue In and Out and Digital In and out, 2 Scarts - various Audio and video Sockets, (and an odd extra Coaxial Out?).

When I told you of the above configuration, I purposely omitted to include my Sony freestanding FV box VTX – D800U. 2 scarts etc. because I thought I would only need the one FV tuner which would be in the HDX870.

Now that you have told me that, to do what I want, I should have a TV with an inbuilt FV tuner, I am wondering what flexibility I can get if I use instead, my current TV plus my freestanding Tuner. I think I can see that I will be able to watch FV channels independent of the Recorder which will be free to do everything it is supposed to do, recording either a Sat Box channel or a channel from its own FV tuner. Am I OK so far?

When recording a Sat Box channel, I would be able to watch that Sat Box channel at the same time, but only that Sat Box channel or any FV channel from the freestanding tuner.
    Is that correct?

If you think this will work, could I ask you to tell me how to connect? Is it simply

Coax from FV aerial through the freestanding FV box and on into the DVD recorder!
    Scart from freestanding FV recorder to one of the TV scarts.
    Sat Box, Coax from Dish Aerial to Dish IN
    Scart from Sat Box ‘VCR scart' to HXD870 LINE1 scart
    Scart from HXD6870 ‘TV scart Line2' to TV's second Scart

If this is correct, Can you see any restrictions that I have not mentioned?

Kind Regards – Thanks – Douglas Blackmore

8. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    yes you can use a scart from your freeview stb to your tv and watch that whilst the recorder is busy

yes you can watch what you are recording , or watch the freeview box instead

there would be a scart from the freeview box to your sony tv

and another scart from the sony 870 line 3 to the sony tv

so I dont see how you can connect in the satellite box into the tv , as once it goes to the line 1 input of the recorder it may become out of bounds if the recorder is recording freeview. ideally it also needs a feed to the tv as well for independent watching

its line 3 on the 870 recorder to the other tv scart , not line 2 , line 2 is an input

9. Asriel

Asriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    As Ramjet says, with the set up below you couldn't watch satellite while recording freeview.

You say the satellite box has 2 scart sockets, so presumably one is for connecting to a VCR (or DVD in this case) and the other for connecting to the TV. If you connect this other scart socket to the TV you will be able to watch satellite while watching freeview, but won't have a spare TV scart input for your other freeview box, so won't be able to watch freeview while recording a different freeview channel.

I didn't know you couldn't monitor another input while recording from the internal freeview, which is the cause of your problems, but if it's true then you are one scart input short on your TV.

Options.

1) Does your TV have any other inputs like a composite input or a s-video input? If so you could connect your satellite box to the TV using this, so on the occaisions where you are recording freeview, you could watch satellite via that input.

2) You get a scart switcher box and plug the satellite box TV output and the freeview stb output to it, so whichever you are recording you have the choice to either watch it via the DVD recorder, or watch the other one via the the switcher box connected to the other TV scart input.

i.e.

Satellite1 to DVD recorder
    Satellite2 to input switcher
    Freeview to input switcher
    DVD recorder to TV
    Switcher box to TV

You would need to buy a switcher box where you actually have to choose the input with a button or switch.

3) You use your Pace freeview recorder instead of the freeview set top box, so you record satellite via the DVD recorder and freeview via the pace box. This steals kit your other system though.

Hope this makes sense.

10. DonCorbata

DonCorbata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Ramjet and Asriel,

Thank you both very very much for spending the time to work out my questions and then providing such comprehensive answers. Very much appreciated.

Now I have the chance to make decisions with a few facts instead of in the dark! Thanks again!

Douglas Blackmore