1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connectivity for HDTV - newbie question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Maughan, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello! HDTV-newbie question...

I have a Philips 30pf9975 (LCD).

The manual says:

"The VGA-in connector allows the following TV and monitor display modes:...

HDTV 1920 x 1080i"​

(There is also a reference to EDTV - what is that? :confused: )

I have read conflicting reports about whether I will be able to watch HDTV on this screen as and when Sky/BBC start to broadcast (next year?). But doesn't the notation above mean that this screen is HDTV compliant (albeit I will have to feed it via the VGA-in connector)?

If so, will there be any loss of quality (or loss of any other benefit) because it is being fed via the VGA-in connector?

Thank you!

Maughan

:smashin:

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    I think it's pretty normal for modern flat screen displays to say that they will accept a 1080i input, even if they only have 480 lines native resolution. But that doesn't mean it will be HD ready in the sense of the new industry standard, which requires:

1. At least 720 lines native resolution (30pf9975: 1280x768 I believe, so compliant)
    2. A DVI or HDMI input capable of accepting above1 (No, just scart, component & VGA)
    3. High definition content protection (HDCP) (No)

It is expected that when HD material becomes available from Sky and HD-DVD/BluRay/whatever, your display should have all these capabilities to take advantage. However, most existing displays don't have all that, and there will probably ways to get round it when the time comes, and VGA may figure in the solution. There are already some interface products that will take DVI/HDMI with HDCP and give you de-crypted VGA, which will do what you want.

A VGA interface is capable of relaying very good picture quality - don't underestimate it - the best pictures to be seen on many digital displays will be through VGA. Digital DVI or HDMI or analogue BNC component connections may be better, but there's nothing to lose sleep over. Don't forget that the 30pf9975 does have component connections, but bizarely they do not accept 576i or 720p inputs. Could someone explain that with a PAL TV?! Not to worry, VGA will be fine for almost anything, with component preferred for 1080i.

3. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very informative! :thumbsup:

From my reading of various posts on this forum, I can see that the manufacturers and broadcasters will likely have to adapt to existing technology (assuming not everyone is going to buy the latest equipment the minute HD broadcatss start), so there will be workarounds somehow or other.

But I am still not sure about the answer to the essential question: even taking into account all you have written, will I be be able (definitely/probably/it depends?) to see HD-quality broadcasted images on my existing Philips?

(I was not that turned-on to HDTV until I went to the Sound and Vision exhibition in Bristol a few weeks ago and saw an HD picture/film. I think my jaw may actually have dropped open - no drooling, mind - as I stood transfixed by the depth and colour and detail... :eek: Amazing. I have to have it!)

Maughan

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Hi Maughan,
    I know what you mean, once you have seen HD, there is no way you can be satisfied with SD for long.

BTW, ED means enhanced definition, which is an American term that is quite meaningless to us. Somewhere between SD and HD.

I think the answer to your question is yes - I can think of at least three products that will decode HDCP and give an analogue HD output. There's quite a bit of discussion about them in these forums, but now is not the time to buy - wait until HD arrives, then supply will inevitably meet demand.........

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    EDTV usually refers to 480p broadcasts like Fox in the US used to put out before they sensibly upgraded to 720p.

Steve