Connectivity advice

gurufordy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Need some advice. I just got a Wii for my girlfriend and am hooking it up to my LCD. Out the box it has composite and a scart adapter which I am using currently. Looks ok but want to get the best available graphics. So I have looked about and a component is what I intend to use. the problem is I am unsure if my TV has this connection (noobie I know). Below is a link to my TV and the one below that is the manual for it.

Can I use a component cable? Otherwise I am stuck with scart probably...:rolleyes:

http://www.sharp.eu/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0A0A4384-6E57243F/scee/hs.xsl/18_17307_38333335_ENU_HTML.htm

http://esupport.sharp-eu.com/script...3cdd31c1cb6814380b26bdaa3107f&DocType=OM&CT=1

Well according to the specs I've just read online (just googled your TV model), it has no component port, however it does have VGA and mentions it can take component via an adaptor (VGA to component I believe). Did the TV come with such a device?

Yes I believe it did. So this means I can have component input into the VGA port, does this have any drawbacks or gains over normal component?

B*gger just had a look and can't find it :(

Is it worth converting wii-->component-->vga-->tv or should I just get the wii scart lead lol.

You might be better off getting the official RGB SCART lead... assuming you have a spare socket in the TV.

The genuine Nintendo RGB scart lead will definately give you a better picture than your current composite lead, not quite as good as component but not far off.

I'd go with that to be honest, I used one when I wanted to free up my TV's component connection for a 360 and was quite pleased with the picture still.

I am happy with the standard cable / picture :eek:

I must need my tv tested ;)

It wont cost you anything ;)

No sorry I think you misread my post.

I can't find the component to vga convertor so will have to get a new one. Done a quick google search and I found a decent one here. That means to get it from Wii to VGa it will cost around £40 lol.

Not really worth it I don't think unless you can come with any clear advantages of Component/VGA compared to RGB Scart?

What about converting the component leads into a scart like here?

No sorry I think you misread my post.

I can't find the component to vga convertor so will have to get a new one. Done a quick google search and I found a decent one here. That means to get it from Wii to VGa it will cost around £40 lol.

Not really worth it I don't think unless you can come with any clear advantages of Component/VGA compared to RGB Scart?

What about converting the component leads into a scart like here?

According to the description it only works with scart connections that support component video which to my knowledge most scart connections on TV's don't. I have no idea if using the VGA as a substitute component in would be the same as connecting a component cable directly to a component connection.

Other then replacing the component to VGA adapter which you can't find I suspect using RGB scart would be the next best option. Again as I have a US Wii that does not support scart, and as I have only used the included composite cable and now use a component one, I don't know if there is a significant difference between RGB scart and component.

Different models and types of TV's often have a tendency to handle these various connections differently too. Where as RGB scart may look better then component on one TV it may be the other way around on another.

Okay just as I order the official scart I find the VGA connector lol.

Is there going to be an pro's or con's with using this compared to the official scart?

Okay just as I order the official scart I find the VGA connector lol.

Is there going to be an pro's or con's with using this compared to the official scart?

As I said before personally I can't comment as I haven't used either. I would say try them both if you can. I think it seems to be more on the subjective side as to which is better RGB scart or component. Technically component should be better as it is progessive scan where as RGB scart is interlaced. Having said that it's possible component whilst being more vibrant and sharper will also bring out the jaggies more.

I'm not sure whether going through a VGA connection will make a difference to the component input. It is possible although I am not really sure that you may have an issue with Virtual Console games as well as Wii games that only support 50Hz ( which should be very few of them if any ) as VGA itself only supports 60Hz. This may be a non-issue how ever.

I'm gonna swing by Game after work and pick up a component I think. Give it a try and see what happens. As long as the picture is better and doesn't play silly buggers with me I will be happy :)

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm gonna swing by Game after work and pick up a component I think. Give it a try and see what happens. As long as the picture is better and doesn't play silly buggers with me I will be happy :)

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll let you know what happens.

Be careful if you're shopping for this in Game. They tend to sell official leads like the Official Wii RGB Scart lead ABOVE MSRP :mad:. I've seen them in there for £23-24 when the MSRP is £19.99. They can be had for less than this of course - mine cost £17.99 in Comet.

The reason they do this is because they have their own range of cables that they are encouraging :mad: customers to buy in preference to the official leads :mad:.

If you got one earlier I'd advise you to take it back for a refund :cool: and give your hard earned pennies to a retailer that doesn't try to rip you off!

Hope that helps.

Be careful if you're shopping for this in Game. They tend to sell official leads like the Official Wii RGB Scart lead ABOVE MSRP :mad:. I've seen them in there for £23-24 when the MSRP is £19.99. They can be had for less than this of course - mine cost £17.99 in Comet.

The reason they do this is because they have their own range of cables that they are encouraging :mad: customers to buy in preference to the official leads :mad:.

If you got one earlier I'd advise you to take it back for a refund :cool: and give your hard earned pennies to a retailer that doesn't try to rip you off!

Hope that helps.

99% of the time I agree but I found one for £10 in there (and definitely official!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom