• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connectivity Advice Please

Free To Air

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me the most efficient way to connect a relatively simple setup?

The hardware is:
Sky Plus Box (Non HD)
Panasonic DMR E55 DVD Recorder/Player
Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT TV

The Toshiba TV has 2 Dolby Digital Audio Inputs, 1 optical and the other coaxial. It also has a Component Video Input plus a stack of scart inputs.

The DVD has Component Video out and optical audio out plus scart input & output

My main query is whether or not I should route the Scart Output from the Sky+ box through the DVD unit then use the component out from the DVD to the TV. Or, will I get better picture quality by directly connecting the Sky+ RGB scart out to the TV scart in, then connecting the Component out from DVD to Toshiba Component in.

Also, am I better off using both optical outs from the Sky+ and DVD via an optical audio splitter to one optical audio in on the TV? Or, is it better to set up one direct link per Sky+ and DVD box but use an optical to coaxial convertor one one of the connections.

Thx

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I would connect the video sources directly to the TV separately i.e. SCART for Sky+ and component for the DVD recorder, as it will make it simpler if you plan on recording one and watching another. You could use an optical splitter for the Sky+ and DVD recorder for about £5.00. As long as only one is on, the signal will pass through. Obviously you could use an optical to coax converter but that would be more expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom