connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by luckystrike, Aug 30, 2007.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guys please need your help im a noob in my tv connection how can i connect the following?

TV = SONY40D3000
    DVD = SAMSUNG 1080P UPSCALING DVD
    SOUND SYSTEM = SONY SF1100
    TV PROGRAM = SKY
    GAME CONSOLE = XBOX360

The only thing i know is hdmi my dvd to tv i dont know how to properly connect the others:lease:

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

right then - to get you going:

As you already said - hdmi cable from dvd player to tv.

If you do this you'll still need to add a cable form the player to your sound system to transmit the sound - either via optical or rca digital out.

What you could also think about doing: Get another hdmi cable - then:

hdmi from player to sound system - then a hdmi cable from sound system to TV.
    This passes video signal through to the TV and the sound to the surround system with 1 cable from the player instead of two.

For the rest: Sky via scart to the TV and connect an audio cable from the 2 RCA audio outputs from the Sky box to the surround system - you can then just have sound on the TV without the amp needing to be on - and when you do want to feed th esound through the surround system, you can.

XBOX 360 - you should be able to use a so called YUV cable (red, green & blue - possibly already part of your kit?) directly to the TV for the picture - and you then need another cable to the surround system for the sound - I don't know offhand if the 360 has an optical out on the adapter or an RCA output.

Hope this helps. I'l check back latr as I am trying to download the manuals for your components (telly and surround sound).

Cheers,

Simon

3. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thank you very much., from what i understand i need to connect my dvd to my sorround via hdmi or optical., then hdmi from my sorround to my tv? will i still need hdmi from dvd to tv?

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    From reading the specs on Sony.co.uk of the HTSF1100

Sony HTSF1100

It would slightly defeat the purpose of having a 1080p upscalling player to connect it through the HTSF1100 to only allow 1080i.

*Edit* However from looking at the specs of the Sony TV it only appears to accept 1080i itself. So there would not be any loss if you connected the Samsung to the HTSF1100 and then from the HTSF1100 to the TV.

It also appears the HTSF1100 does not have component in sockets also.

It states it has 2 optical and 1 Coaxial digital sound connections and that it also does not accept sound through HDMI.

If this is all the case me personally I would connect the Samsung direct to the SONY40D3000 via HDMI. I would then also connect the Samsung to the HTSF1100 via a Coaxial sound cable to get the 5.1 sound out of the HTSF1100 whilst watching a movie. (The Coaxial cable would still be needed if connecting the Samsung to the HTSF1100 via HDMI and then from the HTSF1100 to the LCD via HDMI as it appears the HTSF1100 can not handle sound through the HDMI cable).

For the xbox360 as the HTSF1100 does not appear to have component in sockets. I would connect this direct to the TV via either component or VGA cable. I personally have my 360 connected to my Panasonic LCD via VGA to free up connectors and I found the PQ to be better (Sharper) with this connector (but its really apples and oranges as others prefer Component over VGA, plus the Xbox360 Premium edition gives you the component cable free, you need to buy the VGA cable. If you have the Xbox360 core then you will need to then buy either the Component cable or the VGA to get HD images from the xbox).

I would then connect the Xbox to the HTSF1100 via an optical cable to get the 5.1 out of the xbox.

With regards to Sky. You will need to connect this to the LCD direct also via RGB scart to get the best Picture quality.

You can then connect the Red/White phono sound connectors from the Sky box to the HTSF1100 to get stereo sound from the HTSF1100 (as opposed to 5.1 which only the Optical and Coaxial will give but the normal Sky digital box does not have these connectors, Sky+ and SkyHD have an optical out to use the last free optical cable if you ever wish to upgrade).

Hope this helps
    Anthony

5. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    maybe ill just exchange my sf1100 to sony dz830 to achive 1080p :thumbsup:

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    But the Sony TV you have wont accept 1080p either
    But from looking at the SF1100 I would personally swap it myself solely as it does not handle sound through the HDMI.

If you ever get the urge to go Hidef with either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (which in the next year or two you might). you will need a receiver that can handle LPCM through HDMI to get the hidef sounds.

Also without Component in or upscalling on the SF1100 it does not appear to be a good choice for a future proof sound system IMHO.

7. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what can you recommend then?

8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The new Onkyo 605 receiver does all the things you are wanting and everyone says its the bee's knees for All Video and sound needs. Ritcher sounds sell them and will price match if you see it cheaper anywhere on the internet.

Personally speaking I had bought the Denon AVR 2307 which has the LPCM via HDMI and upconversion of all video inputs to HDMI meaning you can connect your Xbox360 via component to the receiver and connect the Receiver to your TV via a single HDMI and display the full Xbox image.

It really just depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

But I had a Sony SB100 Home Cinema All in one system for 3 years and enjoyed the sound from it. But from now trying the Denon this just blows it out of the water by a long way. I personally would never go back as the sound is simply amazing.

Hope this helps
    Anthony

9. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks again!, onkyo 605 seems a good buy maybe it can match my ols canton 100mx speaker system :thumbsup:

10. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hello again anthony is the onkyo 505 any good? coz its a lot cheaper than 605 and it also has hdmi that i can connect thru my upscaling dvd., i have a canton 100mx (5 speaker) speaker will that affect my sound since the onlyo have 7.1 reciever

11. luckystrike

luckystrike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2